OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experienced something similar. Mine was caused from removing the fish and quarantining them for 90 days when I was given a “quarantined” fish that had ick from my LFS.

In that time period I wasn’t adding anything to create the ammonia the bacteria feed on and thus my bacteria biome depleted.

When reintroducing my fish and adding coral this cycle began. First diatoms, then hair algae then dinos. I did the raise nutrients and let other things out compete, and then I now I’ve been battling cyano for some time.

I’m about to try this plan after I looked into the whole biome cycle theory. It seems like it will aid the long term success of the tank without constant maintenance and battling.

Firstly I knocked out the lights, this helped a lot as these nuisance bacteria and algae’s are photosynthetic. The next steps I have planned, are to and ocean direct sand over my sand bed all around the tank, and add copepods.

I plan on keeping the lights out for quite some time so as to not allow something else to take over while the bacteria and pods start to do their work.

I read through your start to now, and I pretty much have had the same path since reintroducing everything back to the tank. I’m convinced it’s to do with the biome in our tanks. Definitely look into it and let me know what you think.
Yeah! Somewhere along the line we caused the nitrogen/phosphate to get out of balance I'm planning to keep both nutrients high until I get a balance elevated levels and will slowly water change it out while adding in more clean-up crew to tackle algae growth. I'd much rather have green than brown lol. You can always give chemeclean or high flow a shot. It may help prevent the Cyano. Do you have it everywhere or a few spots?

z4chburris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah! Somewhere along the line we caused the nitrogen/phosphate to get out of balance I'm planning to keep both nutrients high until I get a balance elevated levels and will slowly water change it out while adding in more clean-up crew to tackle algae growth. I'd much rather have green than brown lol. You can always give chemeclean or high flow a shot. It may help prevent the Cyano. Do you have it everywhere or a few spots?
I have/had cyano everywhere. It's almost gone now, I have sludge I need to siphon out of the tank which I plan on doing my next water change later this week.

Have you checked out the BRS series? This is what I'm using for my plan of attack lol:

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have/had cyano everywhere. It's almost gone now, I have sludge I need to siphon out of the tank which I plan on doing my next water change later this week.

Have you checked out the BRS series? This is what I'm using for my plan of attack lol:

Haha sure have! Glad to hear it's working for you!

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright we are back baby! Now that I'm not constantly traveling for work it's time to embark on my reef rehab.

Since my last update I had a huge battle with hair algae. It completely took over when I was away. I manually removed it several times including taking all my rock out and scrubbing it with a brush w/ peroxide. I got my nutrients in check and through I was winning until my next trip.

Again I came back to a chia pet of a reef tank. So I tried a cycle of reef Flux and that did nothing at all! I just kept at it with the manual removal. Digging deep deep into the forum I saw some people have success with bluelife Flux rx. I said why not and doubtfully tried it out as it's the same fluconazole as reef Flux.

Boom! To my surprise my hair algae slowly disappeared!!! (Before and after pictures/videos) Was also super excited to see my toadstool hosting my clowns!!

This brings us to where we are today. The plan:

Overhaul my rock scape: I love the look of what I built but it's not very coral friendly and I want to make more of a foreground. I'm going to start by breaking off the base rock and the point and slowly remove/break some parts and add in addition parts.

Livestock: I only have my 2 clownfish in here, Joey and Chloé. I haven't finalized my fish plan yet, but thinking of adding a court jester goby next. Other stocking ideas are: clown goby, fire fish, pink streaked wrasse, yellow striped goby, golden assessor.

Coral: majority of my coral have been living on frag racks. It's time to get them glue onto the rock and settle into final homes. I want to racks out asap, no matter what I do they always jump out looking like a big eye sore.

More updates and videos coming soon!

Attachments

• 20231223_150308.jpg
    20231223_150308.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231231_145618_1.mp4
    14.8 MB
  • 20240408_205812_1_1.mp4
    18.6 MB

TheFalseReality

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright we are back baby! Now that I'm not constantly traveling for work it's time to embark on my reef rehab.

Since my last update I had a huge battle with hair algae. It completely took over when I was away. I manually removed it several times including taking all my rock out and scrubbing it with a brush w/ peroxide. I got my nutrients in check and through I was winning until my next trip.

Again I came back to a chia pet of a reef tank. So I tried a cycle of reef Flux and that did nothing at all! I just kept at it with the manual removal. Digging deep deep into the forum I saw some people have success with bluelife Flux rx. I said why not and doubtfully tried it out as it's the same fluconazole as reef Flux.

Boom! To my surprise my hair algae slowly disappeared!!! (Before and after pictures/videos) Was also super excited to see my toadstool hosting my clowns!!

This brings us to where we are today. The plan:

Overhaul my rock scape: I love the look of what I built but it's not very coral friendly and I want to make more of a foreground. I'm going to start by breaking off the base rock and the point and slowly remove/break some parts and add in addition parts.

Livestock: I only have my 2 clownfish in here, Joey and Chloé. I haven't finalized my fish plan yet, but thinking of adding a court jester goby next. Other stocking ideas are: clown goby, fire fish, pink streaked wrasse, yellow striped goby, golden assessor.

Coral: majority of my coral have been living on frag racks. It's time to get them glue onto the rock and settle into final homes. I want to racks out asap, no matter what I do they always jump out looking like a big eye sore.

More updates and videos coming soon!
I have a client with a MAJOR hair algae issue, 400 gallon, large tank. We filly just had to remove all the rocks and scrub the algae off along with a blackout...

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a client with a MAJOR hair algae issue, 400 gallon, large tank. We filly just had to remove all the rocks and scrub the algae off along with a blackout...
Did that fully get rid of it?? Mine stayed away for a few weeks and then came back with revenge until I did the Flux.

TheFalseReality

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

TheFalseReality

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did that fully get rid of it?? Mine stayed away for a few weeks and then came back with revenge until I did the Flux.
I may have to try that Reef Flux, is this it:

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to try that Reef Flux, is this it:

That's the one that didn't do much for me. It killed the bryopsis but the hair algae just grew more in its place. The bluelife fluxRX specifically worked for me. No clue why but it killed my hair and bubble algae (I kept it in for a lot longer than. The 3 weeks they say)

TheFalseReality

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the one that didn't do much for me. It killed the bryopsis but the hair algae just grew more in its place. The bluelife fluxRX specifically worked for me. No clue why but it killed my hair and bubble algae (I kept it in for a lot longer than. The 3 weeks they say)
alrighty, I'll take a look. In my experience if they hair algae gets way to out of control, the only real way to get it back is to physically scrub off the algae.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back