First tank 29 gallon build.

WNCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone wanted to share my first attempt at a saltwater tank with you all.

I am planning on doing a FOWLR first and see how it goes then move on to corals as I learn and progress.

I currently have a 29 gallon regular tank. A used CPR Bak pak 2. A marineland 36 in led light. API salt master test kit and a used Seachem 3 stage RO only filter.

Today I bought 11 lbs of base dry rock and 40 lbs of Carib-Sea west caribbean reef sand. To start I plan on buying my water from the local fish store and adding additional live rock when I fill the tank up.

I plan on buying an aqua clear 70 HOB. Heater and thermometer.

I'm sure I'm missing other stuff but I'm going to keep browsing other build threads to see what has worked for other people!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Post plenty of pictures!
The API test kits are good for your cycle but that’s it. Once your ready for corals buy either Red Sea or Salifert test kits. API are not reliable enough for corals. If you have the extra money and want the easiest with digital readout get Hanna Checkers.
Sounds like you have a good start!

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor,buy a TDS meter and check your lfs TDS before you buy from them. My wife and I learned the hard way and lost fish and coral because we where learning too. They are cheap in Amazon. After 1 1/2 years we finally bought an Bulk Reef Supply 4 Stage Value Plus for $212 and worth every penny making your own water. Research Research and Research will help a lot. Good luck on your new journey.

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor,buy a TDS meter and check your lfs TDS before you buy from them. My wife and I learned the hard way and lost fish and coral because we where learning too. They are cheap in Amazon. After 1 1/2 years we finally bought an Bulk Reef Supply 4 Stage Value Plus for $212 and worth every penny making your own water. Research Research and Research will help a lot. Good luck on your new journey.
Using a TDS meter on premixed salt does nothing....

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a TDS meter on premixed salt does nothing....

I wasn’t referring to
pre-mixed salt water. If you buy RODI from them you should,it’s up to you if you trust them that much. How are you going to check their salinity? RODI is used for topping off your tanks evaporated water’

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 121 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back