First tank and new to hobby. Advice, thoughts on 20g long?

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! This is my first tank and kinda of wanting more ideas on stocking, also maybe some advice/input. We have a Bangaii cardinal, blue neon goby, and a zebra bar goby. We just added two green chromis (wanted 3 but lfs said 2 is better bc of size). I was wanting to possibly add a spotted mandarin, a couple talbot damsels (had one in here before and loved it but a Blenny bullied it), and possibly a small clown. Is that too much stock in this tank???

IMG_9077.jpeg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! And to this amazing hobby! Advice, get the biggest tank you have room and money for, because it’s never big enough for everything you’ll want to add. Start with live rock and sand as they go a long way toward getting started on the right foot.

brian61381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an absolutely beautiful tank and I love the lay out. Mandarins are difficult to keep because of their diet, and I worry that adding more fish to this tank will create too much waste for your hang on filter to handle. I recommend frequent water changes in this tank.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an absolutely beautiful tank and I love the lay out. Mandarins are difficult to keep because of their diet, and I worry that adding more fish to this tank will create too much waste for your hang on filter to handle. I recommend frequent water changes in this tank.
We were thinking of possibly a canister filter but unsure just yet. Just don’t have a spot or space for sump and stuff

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a 20-gallon long to continue my coral addiction. A couple of questions about your current setup as it looks great! What wavemakers do you have? Also if they are controllable what do you have them at? What light do you have on the tank? Also what lid do you have? Currently have had mine running and cycling and the evaporation with no lid is more than all my tanks combined... Like 2.5 gallons or more a week its ridiculous.

Also welcome to R2R!!!
Penguins Of Madagascar Hello GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently setting up a 20-gallon long to continue my coral addiction. A couple of questions about your current setup as it looks great! What wavemakers do you have? Also if they are controllable what do you have them at? What light do you have on the tank? Also what lid do you have? Currently have had mine running and cycling and the evaporation with no lid is more than all my tanks combined... Like 2.5 gallons or more a week its ridiculous.

Also welcome to R2R!!!
Penguins Of Madagascar Hello GIF

Current equipment is-
cheap aqueon 20g filter
Smatfarm 90/95w light (100% light/dark blue, 70% uv, 5% green, 1% warm light)
jabeo scp50 set at ~50% wave mode
Zksj mini aquarium wave maker usb on low
No lid but need one. We have an auto top-off but we go through about 2.5g a week too.

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current equipment is-
cheap aqueon 20g filter
Smatfarm 90/95w light (100% light/dark blue, 70% uv, 5% green, 1% warm light)
jabeo scp50 set at ~50% wave mode
Zksj mini aquarium wave maker usb on low
No lid but need one. We have an auto top-off but we go through about 2.5g a week too.
darn tootin, well if you make a lid or fine one link it to me in this chat, please. Currently on the hunt.

OP
OP
taytay_1119

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly we were just thinking of going to
darn tootin, well if you make a lid or fine one link it to me in this chat, please. Currently on the hunt.
hobby lobby or something and getting a sheet of plexiglass or something ‍♀️♀️I mean I’m not really sure

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! This is my first tank and kinda of wanting more ideas on stocking, also maybe some advice/input. We have a Bangaii cardinal, blue neon goby, and a zebra bar goby. We just added two green chromis (wanted 3 but lfs said 2 is better bc of size). I was wanting to possibly add a spotted mandarin, a couple talbot damsels (had one in here before and loved it but a Blenny bullied it), and possibly a small clown. Is that too much stock in this tank???

IMG_9077.jpeg
Welcome to the club. 20 breeders are a great start. Downside are the limitations of livestock and water quality changes rapidly as to where you don’t have those kind of issues with a larger tank. You will also have much more success with a sump vs a hang on back filter.

My best advice is to plan out the best you can how you want your system to operate and the animals you want in it.

Follow that plan and be patient

Happy reefing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back