First tank and scape suggestions??

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First tank and scape suggestions?? Left side I think is good but right side is just temporary

image.jpg image.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left side looks like it could tip over? Rockscapes are really a matter of personal taste.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right side is much better, the other is way too dark, the plate across casts a shadow cross half the rock.

Think about where you are going to put coral and where you can’t put coral because no light is getting to it, or it casts shadow over too much rock. Also think when the coral grows what will that do to the other corals etc

Hard to tell I can’t make out you could have some but always useful to have some caves for the fish to hide.

Also leave space from the glass so you can get a blade to clean the inside glass.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like a bit more rock maybe join up the 2 halves? But I agree it's all personal preference.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I changed it up a bit and I think it looks way better and also I only have one light on the left side of the tank right now that’s why right side is darker. I could probably get one more rock for right side and some rubble rock for the crevasses

image.jpg image.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I changed it up a bit and I think it looks way better and also I only have one light on the left side of the tank right now that’s why right side is darker. I could probably get one more rock for right side and some rubble rock for the crevasses

image.jpg image.jpg

I’m confused, is the left what you want to go with or the right?

if the left I like that, just make sure there are some caves, I can’t make out from the pic..if the right, I don’t like that at all

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the left is what I like and right I’m still working I also need to go get some more rocks

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the left is what I like and right I’m still working I also need to go get some more rocks

Good, I was worried for a minute there, was hoping it wasn’t meant to be the right side.

Again hard to tell from pictures but you look to have plenty rock, you can add more if you want though, but from here it looks like you have enough.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the rocks look like on rock and not a bunch of rocks stacked or at least try to do that

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the rocks look like on rock and not a bunch of rocks stacked or at least try to do that

oh ok, I was thinking you were going to say for the sump, was going to suggest different media for that use as it’s hard to keep rubble clean in the sump.

Just to say, when your corals grow they will cover the rocks, also coralline aglae will cover the rock after a while, you can do what you are planning but I think it may have a chance of looking not great, glueing little bits here and there, will make the surface uneven too, anyway your tank, you need to do what you think looks good not others.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or I could make an island with the rubble for a garden of some sort

I like the sound of that, was meaning to suggest that, just don’t get carried away as cleaning the sand becomes a nightmare vacuuming around a lot of little islands of rock.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a question about identifying one of the corals I have in my tank it was sold as an indo torch but it might be an Aussie torch its the green tip one

391156CB-2459-4514-815F-5CE690950E8B.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a question about identifying one of the corals I have in my tank it was sold as an indo torch but it might be an Aussie torch its the green tip one

391156CB-2459-4514-815F-5CE690950E8B.jpeg

sorry can’t help you there, I would start a new thread someone will answer that no problem

looks good either way.

Stevel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocks apes can be so much fun and there are a lot of different things that don’t require a lot of light but also your fish choice has a lot to do with selection of coral. I enjoy ledges as it gives you multiple places to grow coral at different levels in your tank. Also make sure you have good flow. Enjoy as your tank is your own little piece of the ocean.

9BFE1B90-D4B9-4E36-85CE-9982A0D31A5F.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back