First Time Culturing Phytoplankton

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so this is my first culture I’ve tried to be as sterile as possible and and followed instructions to a T.

This is day 4 think it crashed?

Have a live culture and f2
Mixed to 1.024 SG
Using the bags and air filters from Poseidon reef systems phytotank but with my own vessels.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I shook it up and it look a little better now actually.
It needs to stay suspended, your airpump may not be keeping it in suspension enough but i havent had it crash from not staying mixed.
What culture brand and blend did you start off with?
I noticed this using oceanmagik it looked nearly white until i shook it. Then it stayed mostly gold.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that all the filled with water?
I find it much easier to gradually increase the volume of water every few days. It would take me 2 weeks before I would have that bottle full.
And I feel you dont have enought light. I have two 3 liter bottles lit by a black box led on high.
20201012_161451.jpg

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

thanks man the LEDs I’m using put out about 3-4x more light then traditional LED strips. I had the brightness at 40% but I’ll crank it up to 100 now that you said that.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that all the filled with water?
I find it much easier to gradually increase the volume of water every few days. It would take me 2 weeks before I would have that bottle full.
And I feel you dont have enought light. I have two 3 liter bottles lit by a black box led on high.
20201012_161451.jpg
Cranked that sucker up to 100. I like to have everything g go through my apex if possible
A35F7DE2-0B53-43A9-B755-789345B6545A.png

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It needs to stay suspended, your airpump may not be keeping it in suspension enough but i havent had it crash from not staying mixed.
What culture brand and blend did you start off with?
I noticed this using oceanmagik it looked nearly white until i shook it. Then it stayed mostly gold.
I used the live phytofeast from reef nutrition, seen a few threads of people using that as long as it’s new and my LFS got them on this last Thursday, maybe it’s just the strongest culture fighting to survive since it’s a mix?

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the live phytofeast from reef nutrition, seen a few threads of people using that as long as it’s new and my LFS got them on this last Thursday, maybe it’s just the strongest culture fighting to survive since it’s a mix?
There are two types does your bottle say live on the front of the bottle? That color means that the culture has crashed due to contamination. If using that brand the nano will be the dominate strain so if you are out of Phyto it will be much cheaper to start with a bottle of nanno

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two types does your bottle say live on the front of the bottle? That color means that the culture has crashed due to contamination. If using that brand the nano will be the dominate strain so if you are out of Phyto it will be much cheaper to start with a bottle of nanno
Yes had to wait for my LFS to get the live one in cause he was trying to sell me the non viable version.... lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back