OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Although that is not the example that I would have thought of, it seems to be a reasonable comparison! :)
Would this be an improvement?

B51C5DC2-D533-4AFB-A135-EA21557326F0.jpeg CB3BEA96-60C6-42FA-9F20-E05FF7C092C4.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is what I was describing on the outside and that box on the inside of the tank is in line with what I referred to as a retrofit overflow box.

Additionally, you won't need the pipe and elbow on the inside of the bulkhead anymore.
:D Awesome! Sucks that it’s 10pm and I wanna run the drill. Looks like I have tomorrow cut out for me lol.

last question, the retrofit box, the water level sets at the top of the teeth or where the teeth end?

F1DE3937-1E69-46C5-873B-7D9FDAC6CBBD.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is what you are asking
On an internal overflow box the water level in the tank will back up as water goes thru the teeth. How high depends on how strong a pump and how much flow the box is rated for. It should never go over the teeth.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:D Awesome! Sucks that it’s 10pm and I wanna run the drill. Looks like I have tomorrow cut out for me lol.

last question, the retrofit box, the water level sets at the top of the teeth or where the teeth end?

F1DE3937-1E69-46C5-873B-7D9FDAC6CBBD.jpeg

The water level will be a bit above the bottom of the weir teeth (aka the bottom yellow yellow line in your picture, not the top yellow line).

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s what I put together

image.jpg

So far, so good! You probably have already included this in your plan - I suggest that you include a valve on the return plumbing so that you can dial in the flow if your return pump is too much for your drain.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, so good! You probably have already included this in your plan - I suggest that you include a valve on the return plumbing so that you can dial in the flow if your return pump is too much for your drain.
I’m having trouble finding one at my local Home Depot, I think I’m going to order one online.

my next question is about the T. How high should I set the end cap?

image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m having trouble finding one at my local Home Depot, I think I’m going to order one online.

my next question is about the T. How high should I set the end cap?

image.jpg

The hole in the end cap needs to be above the tank water line (at or about the top of the tank frame should be fine). I suggest that (at least at first) you don't glue the end cap and the short PVC connector pipe that attaches to the top side of the PVC T so you can make sure that you have the height correct and it is working the way that you would like.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hole in the end cap needs to be above the tank water line (at or about the top of the tank frame should be fine). I suggest that (at least at first) you don't glue the end cap and the short PVC connector pipe that attaches to the top side of the PVC T so you can make sure that you have the height correct and it is working the way that you would like.
Can I eliminate the pvc? I was thinking of stealing a gasket from a bulkhead and sandwiching the over flow. So it would go gasket nut, gasket, overflow, gasket, back glass

image.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I eliminate the pvc? I was thinking of stealing a gasket from a bulkhead and sandwiching the over flow. So it would go gasket nut, gasket, overflow, gasket, back glass

image.jpg

Yes, you should be able to do away with the PVC between the tank and the overflow box. You will want a gasket between the bulkhead flange and the glass and probably another gasket between the inside of the glass and the overflow box. Make sure that you clean the glass and the box well and wipe down the gaskets because little bits of dirt or crud is enough to cause a small weep.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm inviting @Mastiffsrule, a fellow old school reefer with mad DIY skills, to this thread to see if he has any tips to add.

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inviting @Mastiffsrule, a fellow old school reefer with mad DIY skills, to this thread to see if he has any tips to add.
Thank ya, thank ya. I’m going to do that right now. It passed the sump test today with the pump I had from my old setup:) The end cap did have a slight whistle to it, but I put a little tuft of filter floss in the hole and it made it much quieter

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all,

Sorry I’m late. Busy munching on buffalo shrimp :) . Did you get it worked out. @Peace River mentioned removing that space and valve on the return.

great job drilling. I would never mess with it, even with everyone telling me it is easy

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank ya, thank ya. I’m going to do that right now. It passed the sump test today with the pump I had from my old setup:) The end cap did have a slight whistle to it, but I put a little tuft of filter floss in the hole and it made it much quieter
Does the rubber gasket go inside or outside of tank? And will the “hard” gasket be enough to seal the overflow box inside?

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all,

Sorry I’m late. Busy munching on buffalo shrimp :) . Did you get it worked out. @Peace River mentioned removing that space and valve on the return.

great job drilling. I would never mess with it, even with everyone telling me it is easy
When you get it for “Free”, it alleviates a lot of the pressure lol

OP
OP
Teemingtank

Teemingtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed there is a small slow leak inside the overflow box, inside the tank. Maybe a drop of water every 20 minutes. Will this cause any problems? If you look closely, you’ll see the bead of water on the bulkhead

image.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back