OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
extra sponge filter yes, but get it as a backup and switch out as needed and squeeze out the other one and have it ready and even apply a little bacteria to it
If eggs appear larger- thats a good sign. . . any time is best I can say
Was tinting the RGComplete ok early? And would it be ok to add the rotifers today so less to do tonight?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was tinting the RGComplete ok early? And would it be ok to add the rotifers today so less to do tonight?
Add rotifiers as soon as you see fry free-swimming

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Day 11 again no hatch last night. Eggs look fertile as almost every eye is silver reflective. The egg sacks appear fairly clear as I could see internal organs last night before lights out with magnifying glasses. Unlike some pictures I see they appear to not have any red or orange but more beige, grey and black. A website from a hobbyist breeder says his hatch on day 12 so still positive, patient, but tired.
On the bright side, after they hatch I will be more confident on what they look like on hatch day.
Thought these pics were better. Took them through the glasses lens, but not as good of focus as I thought. 04B90551-47F5-44D0-B5BD-E65B8D3173EB.jpeg E8BCFD28-82D2-4062-BAD8-249761D1D5D4.jpeg 5850B156-A91A-4AAE-8E55-62853989170A.jpeg

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Heading into the darkness in the next 4 hours. Wonder if tonight will be the night?

Attachments

• CB4D0C44-A69D-485C-B777-AAC828359DB6.jpeg
    CB4D0C44-A69D-485C-B777-AAC828359DB6.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The suspense is killing me. Will definitely check in the morning for updates.
Yeah me too. Been up every night since Saturday. Only good part is I’m off work at the moment waiting for a shoulder surgery. Otherwise I’d be dead on my feet.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Morning of Day 12 and no hatch. This one I’m going to say was an act of God. I have an early appointment and forgot to set my alarms for lights out so I didn’t shut down the pumps or anything. Didn’t wake up until 5:45 and raced up to the tank in a panic. But eggs are still in place. Have to think it will be tonight.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The eggs are still clear and their eyes are still shiny so I assume they are still viable. Would assume they would change colors or deteriorate if they were not.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We had babies between 11 & 1. Covered the tank at 11 when it went dark. About three days ago I cut the late night/morning low blues that ran from 12-4 and moved the other ahead an hour to end at 11. So wether it was just their time or wether it was not dark enough without covering it who knows. Peaked at 1:03 and saw mommy and daddy just a wriggling in the nem, but egg position was completely covered. Then I saw some little shiny eyes.
Woke the wife and she stirred the daughter. Both basically said yeah right! So I was on my own, I went down stairs to the fry tank and strained a jar of rotifers into it using its own water which I tinted a couple days ago, they were in DT water, but refrigerated so afraid I would throw off the temp. Then I headed back up to collect and swaddle the new grand babies. I held the phone for a light and a ladle to collect. Really didn’t think I was doing very well maybe catching one or two at a time. Did that for a considerable time (need a more focused and possible dimmer light that I can use hands free). and I maybe should have allowed them to gather more, but the light seemed to penetrate the tank so I was afraid the wouldn’t all come to the light.

Think the flashlight on my iPhone was probably too bright as I saw a couple kind of swirl in the light so I went back to the screen but really felt it cast too much light across too big of area. There happened to be a greeting card within reach so I placed it on the glass and then the phone blocking all but the very top 1/2-3/4” of the screen and it maybe worked better. At some point I saw my big eye squirrel cruising through the dark so I’m sure he got some.

Then I decided to try to siphon them with a vinyl hose just bigger than air line. Wasn’t too terribly strong as I had to get right up on them or they could swim away from it, but that scared me some so I switched to the fine mesh net recommended by vetteguy that I got at PetSmart (they had blue and pink so I got pink my wife’s favorite color, but does she stay up and use it NNNOOO!) I maybe got another dozen or so with it. All told it was an adventure.

They are in a 1/2 filled 20g with a dim blue light running 24/7 with all but 4” blocked with cardboard. I blacked out all four sides of the tank, but didn’t go clear to the top as I thought it was only to allow them to target the rotifers better? So I covered the remaining with a towel tonight and I will fill in the rest tomorrow (well ok later today). Have my rotifer culture running strong, so will hope to not crash it. Plan to feed around 1/4 of a harvest at a time at 8A, 1P, 6P, 11P-12A. Ordered brine shrimp hatchery and chromaboost so should be able to keep them going, if they survive.
The way the pair was a wiggling I’m wondering if they will lay again right away (so I put the terra-cotta pot I had soaking over the place the eggs were this time so we’ll see).
Big shout out to my R2R family love you all. Special thanks to @vetteguy53081, @ISpeakForTheSeas and @UltraKelius for the personal attention they showed me through this. Got my rotifer cultures and kit from reef nutrition and it seems to be very healthy, I have harvested 5 times (blew it last night as I fell asleep with no alarm) so the first harvest after a three day leave it alone start was still alive and healthy as far as I could tell. I strained it and mixed with warm water and it looked like they were moving toward the light. Also to @Eldredge who has walked me through a phyto culture setup which I will be starting in the next couple of days when his starters reach me.
I know the next 14 days are critical and no guarantee that many or even any will survive (that’s all in God’s hands) but hopefully if I’m diligent and care for them properly we will get some to color change.
With that I’m going to call it a night at 2:59 AM, well I might have a pop tart or two first, worked up an appetite.

67E771DF-10E1-4471-BE5E-EB563E81C9DA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So haven’t done much but add rotifers twice a day. Took a peak and couldn’t see any fry. Saw what looked like little bitty ones dead on the bottom. Assumed I lost the whole batch. Figured I’d get set up hoping for another batch.
When I looked in from the top I see some swimming around. Didn’t pay them any attention as wanted to leave them alone.
Don’t think I’m supposed to siphon any water yet, but should I to eliminate the dead ones?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So haven’t done much but add rotifers twice a day. Took a peak and couldn’t see any fry. Saw what looked like little bitty ones dead on the bottom. Assumed I lost the whole batch. Figured I’d get set up hoping for another batch.
When I looked in from the top I see some swimming around. Didn’t pay them any attention as wanted to leave them alone.
Don’t think I’m supposed to siphon any water yet, but should I to eliminate the dead ones?
Hopefully someone with hands-on experience will comment for you here, but I personally would try to get rid of the dead ones to ensure the water quality stays good.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas so a different question. I did a water change in the DT with the breeders, my nitrates rose a little to around 19 with me feeding a little heavy to try to keep the other fish satisfied but my phosphates are and have been for some time way out of wack. I’m guessing my biggest issue was not cleaning up the used rock well enough. Also need to vacuum the gravel.
I believe the high phosphates is what is feeding cyano in the tank. Was getting ready to attack it when I found the first eggs. So my questions are:

1. can I use ChemiClean during spawning season? Not as a cure but to knock it back a little while I try to correct the phosphate imbalance.
2. Can I go dark for three days, or will this throw off their spawn?
3. Even though it is unsightly, I can live with it if I must. So should I just attempt to maintain without risking throwing anything out of kilter. Maybe doing smalll water changes with small areas of sand vacuumed spaced out very 3-4 days.

thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas so a different question. I did a water change in the DT with the breeders, my nitrates rose a little to around 19 with me feeding a little heavy to try to keep the other fish satisfied but my phosphates are and have been for some time way out of wack. I’m guessing my biggest issue was not cleaning up the used rock well enough. Also need to vacuum the gravel.
I believe the high phosphates is what is feeding cyano in the tank. Was getting ready to attack it when I found the first eggs. So my questions are:

1. can I use ChemiClean during spawning season? Not as a cure but to knock it back a little while I try to correct the phosphate imbalance.
2. Can I go dark for three days, or will this throw off their spawn?
3. Even though it is unsightly, I can live with it if I must. So should I just attempt to maintain without risking throwing anything out of kilter. Maybe doing smalll water changes with small areas of sand vacuumed spaced out very 3-4 days.

thanks.
Gradually bring down phos with reduction of amount fed, using media such as Chemipure blue or a teaspoon in a nylon bag of GFO
No ChemiClean for now and is also an alternative for cyano. Increased skimming and No white lights will help. You can also add bacteria such as MicroBacter which will compete with bad bacteria

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Gradually bring down phos with reduction of amount fed, using media such as Chemipure blue or a teaspoon in a nylon bag of GFO
No ChemiClean for now and is also an alternative for cyano. Increased skimming and No white lights will help. You can also add bacteria such as MicroBacter which will compete with bad bacteria
Thanks. I have seachem stability. Also their Phosguard. I’ll try using them.

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to read you got your hatch, now the hard work begins! I would use a turkey baster to syphon any dead ones out I think. I have not lost many early on personally, but I think anything you can do to help the water quality is a good idea.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Glad to read you got your hatch, now the hard work begins! I would use a turkey baster to syphon any dead ones out I think. I have not lost many early on personally, but I think anything you can do to help the water quality is a good idea.
Thanks. I had an extremely hard time harvesting by myself. I think in the future if I can’t get the eggs out I’ll probably order the trap. I’m afraid the transfer was pretty rough on them.

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had an extremely hard time harvesting by myself. I think in the future if I can’t get the eggs out I’ll probably order the trap. I’m afraid the transfer was pretty rough on them.

It is tricky, I have done mine with a protein powder scoop each time so far too! They are pretty tough little things though you will be surprised what they can put up with, but yes if you are scooping them out it's definitely a two man job!

How many do you think you caught?

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I took a picture of the bucket with them and counted around 60. However there could have been more that didn’t show up on the pic.
My daughter and I peeked the next afternoon and could see them swimming around. Later that night my wife and I peeled and saw some. Late that night or yesterday morning I peeked and couldn’t see any thought they were all dead. Was going to sterilize tank to prep for starting over, but looked in from the top and saw a few. Only have a very little blue light 5% running on the tank and top is covered except 3-4” on one end so they can go where they want for light. Sponge filter on one side and 3” air stone on the other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back