OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've heard this is due to either environmental stressors on the clowns, the eggs not being fertile, or the eggs being damaged/unhealthy - if this is happening while the clowns are still spawning regularly, I'd guess it's not environmental stress, so I'd look at the diet the clowns are eating to see if the clowns are getting adequate protein, fat, etc. for the eggs/larvae to develop properly. No guarantees this is the issue though.

Optimal rotifer stocking from what I've seen is ~10 rotifers per milliliter; 500,000 rotifers in 10 gallons would be ~132 rotifers per milliliter, so (assuming you have that many rotifers in the 3.5L) that would be too much.
The calculation of 500,000 divided by 37854ml is 13.2 so probably pretty close.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I assume that my plan would be to add that amount at hatch time or just after or before if it looks like they are for sure ready. Then add the others in multiple feedings throughout the day.
And no worries, I have already prepped the wife that things could go to pieces, but trying to cover all bases ahead of time hoping to not come up against something at the last moment and not be able to find the “right” answer in time.
As @vetteguy53081 said, can believe everything you read. That’s the great part here is that generally you get answers from people who have actually done it, and more than once.
Love R2R

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is an exciting read - Good Luck - sending good vibes :)
Thanks. They are even shinier now so I’ll probably be up the next two nights as @vetteguy53081 is saying tomorrow. My money is on his guess, but sure would hate to miss them tonight.
A good book and a small flashlight and I should be good.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
New update, no hatch last night. Eggs are shinier today but no real wiggling. With my magnifying glasses I can see little bodies. The nem and the mommy/daddy make pics difficult. Every time I get good focus one of them moves in front of the lens and it refocuses. Then the nem just draped clear over them like it was trying to protect them from the camera.
Also put a isolation box in, was able to catch the blue spot puffer last night, but today I was afraid I was stressing mommy and daddy so quit trying. The big eye squirrel is my biggest concern, but no one was really out after dark last night.
Here’s to hoping tonight’s the night.

Attachments

• 6CFF347D-AAEA-43FD-8EF5-72F5795257EB.jpeg
    6CFF347D-AAEA-43FD-8EF5-72F5795257EB.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 457878C8-3B08-4CF5-88BB-A69D6248DA64.jpeg
    457878C8-3B08-4CF5-88BB-A69D6248DA64.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 21B94C28-535F-4515-AA51-24783AAB4DC9.jpeg
    21B94C28-535F-4515-AA51-24783AAB4DC9.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DDFEB6C2-95B5-45E0-953A-942221BA5DB2.jpeg
    DDFEB6C2-95B5-45E0-953A-942221BA5DB2.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, no hatch last night. Maybe they were not ready or maybe I made a rookie mistake. @vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas I read that if you shine light on the eggs they will not hatch that night. Is this true or something else that I shouldn’t believe what I read on the internet. Tank is so dark after lights out that I cannot see anything so o opened my phone and used the screen light to observe the clutch. Is this a no no or were they just not ready last night. Also I see that they may hatch over the course of two or more nights, is this normal or because someone used lights on the clutch.

It was a really long night.
Thanks.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, no hatch last night. Maybe they were not ready or maybe I made a rookie mistake. @vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas I read that if you shine light on the eggs they will not hatch that night. Is this true or something else that I shouldn’t believe what I read on the internet. Tank is so dark after lights out that I cannot see anything so o opened my phone and used the screen light to observe the clutch. Is this a no no or were they just not ready last night. Also I see that they may hatch over the course of two or more nights, is this normal or because someone used lights on the clutch.

Thanks.
This is a good question, and not an issue I thought about (but it is one that could be problematic for you).

A constant beam of light would prevent hatching, yes (see the link below), but I'd guess (possibly incorrectly) that an occasional flash wouldn't.

The link:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Thanks.
True- remember Isaid dim to subtle lighting. Again- allow them to take their course.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
True- remember Isaid dim to subtle lighting. Again- allow them to take their course.
It wasn’t full time and just the glow from the front of my iPhone. And only for seconds every 1/2 hour. I would check and then leave.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No worries about letting them take their course. Night before last in the time frame between midnight and 4 all the other fish seemed to be tucked away sleeping. Last night the purple tang, hog fish and squirrel were circling underneath the column that the eggs are laid on. I thought maybe they new something. Then when they didn’t hatch last night I wondered if my spying on them could have triggered a protection response and if so don’t want to do it again. But want to be there and witness the miracle of birth and collect as many to save them as I can. Thinking tonight I will just direct a dimmer light into the corner and see it any fry show up verses trying to view the clutch.

Also I now have two days harvest from the rotifers in the fridge. Thinking I will feed the first harvest to my reefs as I will run out of storage space for them tonight if no hatch.

my chroma boost arrived so now I’m pretty much prepared, the rest will be up to God.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No worries about letting them take their course. Night before last in the time frame between midnight and 4 all the other fish seemed to be tucked away sleeping. Last night the purple tang, hog fish and squirrel were circling underneath the column that the eggs are laid on. I thought maybe they new something. Then when they didn’t hatch last night I wondered if my spying on them could have triggered a protection response and if so don’t want to do it again. But want to be there and witness the miracle of birth and collect as many to save them as I can. Thinking tonight I will just direct a dimmer light into the corner and see it any fry show up verses trying to view the clutch.

Also I now have two days harvest from the rotifers in the fridge. Thinking I will feed the first harvest to my reefs as I will run out of storage space for them tonight if no hatch.

my chroma boost arrived so now I’m pretty much prepared, the rest will be up to God.
Youre all set

Last edited:

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cover my parent tank, so that it’s pitch black. Within half an hour they will hatch. If you leave any sort of dim light on then it will stall the hatch and increases the chance of the fry being eaten. Leave tank covered with pumps off for 60 mins. Resist the urge to shine a torch in and check at any point until an hour is up. Then voila! Babies :)

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Obviously no new news as it isn’t dark yet. But I did install Love Rooms for my other pairs. Haven’t ever seen them lay eggs yet but maybe I’ll get lucky and they will use the supplied venue.

Attachments

• 148C66BD-DA66-47CC-AB6B-F256B13E3CC6.jpeg
    148C66BD-DA66-47CC-AB6B-F256B13E3CC6.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 28
  • CF53F80D-7D4D-4790-8BFE-97B88A8B2D64.jpeg
    CF53F80D-7D4D-4790-8BFE-97B88A8B2D64.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Another night come and gone. We didn’t have a hatch. I didn’t cover the tank as someone suggested but it is really dark in my opinion. I’ve got a pic here. Yes the green LED on top of my AI primes put off quite the glow, but I covered them with wash cloths. Took the picture when the lights had been off for Two hours and I put a light in the corner and no fry.

Attachments

• D038C3A6-370C-4F18-A296-E5F45AD9028D.jpeg
    D038C3A6-370C-4F18-A296-E5F45AD9028D.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas @UltraKelius so it is day 10 I believe. The eggs I think were larger this morning but have to get my magnifying glasses to see them good. My question is, I really thought they were going to hatch last night so I made it as dark as possible and while I waited I tinted the fry tank with RGComplete. I haven’t added rotifers but did rinse last nights harvest and stored them in DT water. Was tinting last night a mistake or will it be ok. I can alway pull another 10g from the DT and renew it if needed. Also as per vetteguy I put a sponge filter in the fry tank on one end and a airstone on the other. However I didn’t see the sponge. Should I buy a second sponge filter and throw it in the DT sump to switch out in 5-7 days to have an established bio filter. Or I have a bag of SeaChem Matrix already in that sump (been there for months) should I bring it across at some time.
RGComplete has an Chilean-x in it, will this be sufficient or should I get a different product. I grabbed API ammo lock from Petsmart, but could order seachem a guard or chloram-x as I don’t see much love for API on R2R.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas @UltraKelius so it is day 10 I believe. The eggs I think were larger this morning but have to get my magnifying glasses to see them good. My question is, I really thought they were going to hatch last night so I made it as dark as possible and while I waited I tinted the fry tank with RGComplete. I haven’t added rotifers but did rinse last nights harvest and stored them in DT water. Was tinting last night a mistake or will it be ok. I can alway pull another 10g from the DT and renew it if needed. Also as per vetteguy I put a sponge filter in the fry tank on one end and a airstone on the other. However I didn’t see the sponge. Should I buy a second sponge filter and throw it in the DT sump to switch out in 5-7 days to have an established bio filter. Or I have a bag of SeaChem Matrix already in that sump (been there for months) should I bring it across at some time.
RGComplete has an Chilean-x in it, will this be sufficient or should I get a different product. I grabbed API ammo lock from Petsmart, but could order seachem a guard or chloram-x as I don’t see much love for API on R2R.
extra sponge filter yes, but get it as a backup and switch out as needed and squeeze out the other one and have it ready and even apply a little bacteria to it
If eggs appear larger- thats a good sign. . . any time is best I can say

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back