First time RODI question

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to break in my new BRS 4-stage 150/day RODI system (with pump at 78 psi) today.

I have both the RODI water and the waste water going to Brute cans, and I'm noticing that it appears to be generating each in equal quantities. Does this sound about right?

But I'm more curious about the DI canister; it's only filling up about 25% of the way. Is this normal? The first three stages are full.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to break in my new BRS 4-stage 150/day RODI system (with pump at 78 psi) today.

I have both the RODI water and the waste water going to Brute cans, and I'm noticing that it appears to be generating each in equal quantities. Does this sound about right?

But I'm more curious about the DI canister; it's only filling up about 25% of the way. Is this normal? The first three stages are full.

If that BRS system is a 1:1 then yes. I didn't think BRS systems were 1:1, I thought they were closer to 2:1 or 3:1. I'll have to check on the site for you.

For the DI canister - yes that is normal, nothing to be worried or concerned over.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that BRS system is a 1:1 then yes. I didn't think BRS systems were 1:1, I thought they were closer to 2:1 or 3:1. I'll have to check on the site for you.

For the DI canister - yes that is normal, nothing to be worried or concerned over.

This the one?

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This the one?

If that's it BRS states it as 1.5:1

So they should be relatively equal, as they fill more you should notice one taking the lead. Pressure and quality of your water will account for changes to the given ratio as well.

Also if you are running at 78 PSI currently, you could adjust your pump to 85-90, for better performance. 78 is fine as well, but it is also safe to go up higher if you wish.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies, it's a 5-stage "water saver" model, so perhaps it's appropriate that the wast6e and RODI are approximately equal.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for your quick (and multiple!) responses. The DI canister had me concerned.
I have the version 1 step down (100gpd) and I've never seen it fill the DI canister more than 35-40%. That sounds normal to me

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys... ANY ro or rodi system can be made to run at any waste to purified ratio you'd like. There's no magic here. You can simply change out the $4 flow restrictor. BUT: beware of any vendor that sells a "low waste water" set up without knowing your water chemistry. The proverbial 4:1 ratio was developed for a good reason.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back