First time using QT thread

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will update this thread with my qt experience

This is my first time treating for parasites and using a qt. clown has brook or velvet starting 3 days ago, all other fish have been managing mild ich for a couple months. everything is still eating and active but theres been flashing for weeks.

when i saw clown had something other than ich, i started doing nightly 5 min fresh water dips until i can get my hands on treatment.
im waiting on Formalin, rally pro, methyline blue, and copper to come in the mail. everything will be here by thursday. methyline blue will be here today.
i set up a 29 gallon qt tank with HOB filter and air pump.

When i have all of the equipment, what do i do? i dont know what can be dosed together. Ive been watching videos and looking at humble fish website but i cant find all info i need.
my plan is:

1. remove all fish from dt and put in methylene blue bath
2. put fish in qt and treat with formalin
3. daily water changes? how much? do i dose formalin daily after water change?
4. Can i use ruby rally pro with formalin? with copper? should i just do formalin?
5. treat for how long?
6. fallow period for tank 78 days?

i have methylene blue coming today, should i do bath and then put in qt if i dont have any other meds yet? i want to wait until i have everything and just keep doing fresh water dips to hopefully keep them alive.

please help me figure out what meds to use and in what order, what to avoid, etc...

i really hope my fish can make it and i regret going all out on my tank and refusing to qt.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to get pics and/or videos up here so others can help diagnose. Tag Jay Hemdahl when you do. I personally would treat different if brook vs velvet. If the disease is either of those, I would do this quickly.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to get pics and/or videos up here so others can help diagnose. Tag Jay Hemdahl when you do. I personally would treat different if brook vs velvet. If the disease is either of those, I would do this quickly.
other people in thread where i showed pics and vids said it was brook, i dont think anyone can be sure unless the use microscope so there has to be some adaptive treatment method people would use that would cover both, because it seems brook and velvet both cause virtually identical visual symptoms (mucus, cloudy eyes, dusting/patches, flashing etc)

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish list, all will be going in 29 gallon qt tank

2 small clowns
small yellow hog fish
small six line
2 bangai cardinals
chalk bass
3" tomini tang
possum wrasse
half inch microscopic hi fin goby

guessing theres gonna be issues with ammonia so how big of daily water changes? only have api ammonia test kit and badge so to be on the safe side. Ill order a better ammonia test kit what do yall reccomend?

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish list, all will be going in 29 gallon qt tank

2 small clowns
small yellow hog fish
small six line
2 bangai cardinals
chalk bass
3" tomini tang
possum wrasse
half inch microscopic hi fin goby

guessing theres gonna be issues with ammonia so how big of daily water changes? only have api ammonia test kit and badge so to be on the safe side. Ill order a better ammonia test kit what do yall reccomend?
A couple of comments regrading ammonia tests (you may already know, but also posting for others who may pass by):

The API ammonia test (and many others) measures both NH3 and NH4, or Total Ammonia Nitrogen. The Seachem Alert badge is sensitive to NH3 only (NH3 is the harmful stuff). So don't expect to get the same results from those two tests.

Note that if you know your tank's salinity, temperature, pH, and total ammonia nitrogen, you can find simple calculators online that will give you the amount of NH3 in your tank. For example, if you measure 1.0 ppm ammonia with the API test, and your tank is 35 ppt, 8.1, and 78 F, then your harmful ammonia would be about 0.06 ppm (you would start to see the first "alert" color on the badge).

Whatever brand you ultimately go with for ammonia test, just make sure it's clear if it's total ammonia nitrogen, or just NH3.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the clowns in qt and dosed formalin. Of course I messed up and put .9 Ml per gallon instead of per 10 gallons so I just used the qt as a formalin bath for 45 min and then transferred fish to 5 gallon bucket with ruby rally until I figure out what to do with qt.

do I have to empty this qt or will the concentration of formalin go down? I saw that you have to dose formalin every day when treating so if I wait will the qt eventually be safe to use again?

I have no prob emptying the qt and refilling I just don’t want to if I don’t have to :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back