fish acting blind

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sunset wrasse was acting like he was blind running into things and even swam right into the net so i decided to QT him and do freshwater dip and hypo ... any thoughts or ideas?

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip AND hypo? Is that safe?
Do you see anything on him?
Maybe fish can go blind. Hadn't thought of that before. He could have something on his optic nerve. One never knows. Googling this one!

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update he seems to be ok now and appears to be able to see again and is moving his eyes around . not really sure what that was about but ima keep him in qurantine. and yes freshwater dips are safe and actually very recomended when adding new fish .. if you dont QT your new fish you should at least do a freshwater dip to kill parasites like flukes and ich. it is kinda scary tho first few times u do it on some fish they like to lay on their side and it seems like they are dying but trust me they are not lol.

Last edited:

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I just meant the double treatment--the dip as well as the hypo. Could be he banged his head? Glad he's doing better!

OP
OP
gmoney243

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it for like 15mins same as I do coralrx they are basically the same thing. Jyst one is for corals others for fish. But I think as I recall reading 30mins is max 10min minimum.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw not all fish will survive a fw dip. Be careful and monitor them very closely.

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw not all fish will survive a fw dip. Be careful and monitor them very closely.

Be very very very careful. Im not a fan of fw dip at all. Maybe a really hardy fish. But fw dip is really stressful on a already stress out sick fish. It strips of the fishes slime coat. And is only good for external parasites. Make sure ph alk and temp is the same.
Check out my first experience with FW dip as a newbie with my powder blue tang that went from bad to worse. (may he RIP)
I haven't dipped since. this is the link. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/freshwater-dip-gone-wrong-helpppppp-108915.html

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can have a quarantine system that is large enough you can get hypo salinity while still having other prams that are OK. having said that i frequently have big issues catching any fish in my tank as their are just to many places to hide. I had 3/4 of my rock out of my tank before I was able to catch my second fish when I moved tanks. There has been a write up of a min study about having lower salinity and loosing way less fish. The increase in salinity must be very very gradual. In the past when not having a quarantine tank I have reduced the salinity of my display slightly to address issues with my fish. Depending on the other inhabitants in the tank this can be done pretty safely and with loss. to go from 25 to 21 can be a safe way to address some issues. going below that with some SPS creates stress on that front so be careful and know that with all params connected things start to change.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back