Fish and Treatment Guidelines (with chart)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You can blend but me , I would run carbon after copper to reduce it, then run PraziPro

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the chart! Super helpful!

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @melypr1985

Just so you're aware, I have just finished a 47 day chloroquine treatment at 10.6mg/l (assuming a 1mg/day degradation top up due to mature filter/bacterial mulm) on the following fish which were suffering from suspected Brook and/or velvet:

Idris Wrasse
Yellow Tailed Tamarin wrasse
Convict Tang
Randalls Goby

The reason for the long course was that I suffered a resurgence of the pathogen after the original course of 21 days, I believe due to the biological degradation of the medication.

Many thanks to @Humblefish for his advice and guidance on the degradation in my case (Please don't assume for a sterile system)

Byron malta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 2 months+, in my dt I only had a maroon clown, koran angelfish and a lawnmower. All healthy with no problems whatsoever. So i bought a hippo tang and used the ttm method with no meds and after left him 3 days in qt for a bit more observation. He didnt have any visible signs of decease. So I put him in my dt. After 4 days in dt im seeing small white spots. Did someone ever experience this? Is it possibly ich after ttm?? Thanks and im a newbie bdw

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Power. It's great.
Who sells it? I'd rather not purchase from a random source that I find on my own.

Edit: just realized you said "Power".. i skimmed as "Powder"... i see not that it is an actual product name.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who sells it? I'd rather not purchase from a random source that I find on my own.

Edit: just realized you said "Power".. i skimmed as "Powder"... i see not that it is an actual product name.
Yup. Most of us just get in on Amazon. Some LFS have it too.

ktisdale22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys use CP in your DT.i keep getting mixed reviews. From if you put CP in your DT you have big problems to run it at a low level forever and you will be in good shape? Any information is appreciated!

180 gal DT
2 squirrel fish
Koran Angel - has white spots on it's pec fins.
Raccoon butterfly - has white spots that come and go trying to decide if it's Ich or velvet. Thinking Ich.
2 pajamas
2 clowns
Skunk wrasse
Yellow Tang

Thanks

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What levels of the copper are we considering when we are discussing ionic (.5)? 3 means hit or miss I'm guessing? If the fish pull through and do just fine with copper, does the poison affect their lifespan?? anyone have guesses?

mcpeachy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be possible to add triggerfish information to this chart? i'm trying to decide if cupramine or copper power is best for the kiri trigger.

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be possible to add triggerfish information to this chart? i'm trying to decide if cupramine or copper power is best for the kiri trigger.
From everything that I have read, Copper Power is the recommended choice for copper in general. Much easier on the fish and more effective (since easier to manage levels). I would wait for a local-expert to confirm this though.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do foxfaces and lawnmower blennys react to cupramine? Cupramine is all I have, no lfs sells copper power.

Edit:I saw that rabbitfish can handle it. What about blennies?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do foxfaces and lawnmower blennys react to cupramine? Cupramine is all I have, no lfs sells copper power.

Edit:I saw that rabbitfish can handle it. What about blennies?
I have used cupramine with 3 different blennies before and never had a problem.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I am qting 3 Watanabei angles a blue hipo tang and lineatus wrasse. I have already done 2 rounds of prazi. I am seeing some slight flashing by the tang. I dont see the angles on the list. Copper should be ok right. If so do I need to be careful about how fast I raise the concentration? I want to nip this flashing in the butt.

Thanks in advance.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watanabei can be sensitive to copper, so go slow and monitor carefully.

After treatment has completed, I would transfer to a clean QT system and observe for a further 2-4 weeks.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have aflame angel with ich. I can't get a chelated copper product in Australia. My only options are TTM or Cupramine. The chart at the beginning of the thread rates both as fairly low risk but I keep reading horror stories in different forums.

What would be your preferred approach (TTM or Copper) and how would you execute it? e.g. lower doses of copper or things to be careful of.

I don't want to lose this fish. It is a stunning specimen.

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The following chart is a quick reference guide on what QT protocol should be used according to which type of fish you are running through QT. It will give you an idea of which methods are generally safest with certain species but is not meant to be absolute in most cases. All fish are individuals and can and will react differently than the norm to certain medications or situations. Just because most tangs do well in copper doesn’t mean that every tang will do well. The chart is numbered in levels of tolerance/ease with each method according to the general experience of several knowledgeable people including myself, @4FordFamily, @Humblefish, @eatbreakfast, @evolved and @Brew12. I thank each of them for their input and help in putting this whole thing together. You will also find helpful advice and tips for QT’ing many of the fish in this chart that are deemed more difficult.

Acronyms used: TTM = Tank Transfer Method CP = Chloroquine Phosphate

Fish and Treatment Table part1.jpg
Fish and Treatment Table part2.jpg
Fish and Treatment Table part3.jpg

** Angels have been found to be even more sensitive to ammonia poisoning than most other fish so more care should be taken to keep ammonia absolutely absent from the tanks during tank transfer method. This is why they are marked with an elevated risk level with TTM. With copper (both kinds) most angels have been found to be relatively resilient in it provided the copper levels are slowly raised over the course of 4 or 5 days. Taking longer never hurts as long as velvet is not suspected.

** The marked wrasse in this section have been found to be tolerant of these copper products provided the levels are carefully risen to therapeutic levels over the course of 4-10 days. Watching carefully for tolerance issues since all fish are individuals and may react differently than the norm. No wrasses should be treated with CP until more testing can be done to understand why they seem to do so poorly.

** Wrasse in general should be allowed to settle and start eating for several days before copper treatment is started. While they can handle copper, it’s best to give them the time before hand for maximum chance of survival. If a wrasse has an injury or infection before going into QT, that “settling time” should be extended until the injury or infection has healed completely before starting copper. Provide a small glass dish of sand for the wrasse that bury at night to help keep them comfortable while in QT.

Rsaalman.JPG

Photo by R2R member @Rsaalman

** The harlequin tusk seems to be tolerant of all coppers but care must be taken with how quickly the levels are raised. Take 4-5 days to raise copper up to therapeutic levels and watch for tolerance issues

** I have kept lionfish in copper for long periods before without issue, but it's tricky to get them eating and keep them eating. Also, not all the lions attempted lasted in the copper. It seems that 2 out of 5 would do ok and the rest would perish rather quickly.

** I have kept puffers in copper for periods of time as well, but it was chelated copper and it was risky. They refused to eat for up to 2 weeks and had to be enticed using live foods and whole gulf cost shrimp. I didn't have the luxury of raising the levels slowly, so if it's absolutely needed to treat a puffer with copper, then do so slowly if possible.

**Some Zebrasoma tangs seem to be completely intolerant of copper. This is quickly decided if red blotches, loss of color or the refuse to eat while raising the copper levels. If this happens the fish should be removed into a QT with no copper in it until it resumes eating and it's color has returned. If it happens again after a second try in copper, another QT method should be used if possible.

If you have any questions on an individual species not listed here, please ask. Also, never be afraid to create a thread in the disease forum with QT questions as well.

d_adler.jpg

photo by R2R member @d_adler

Sorry if I missed it, but are there any recommendations/cautions for damsels?

Back