Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are dropping dead, no sign of ich or velvet. Have a 60 cube, stock list:
2 clowns
1 yellow eyed kole tang
1 melanurus wrasse
1 pintail fairy wrasse (dead)
1 yellow wrasse (dead)

My tang can be aggressive sometimes, but they've all lived together for almost a year now without any major problems.

Yellow wrasse died middle of Feb. Pintail fairy wrasse died couple days ago. Now my melanurus, who is usually always out and about in the tank is nowhere to be found...

I treated my tank with prazipro 2 days ago, and did water change 24 hours later. Tried checking for stray voltage, nothing. Sent in ICP test, waiting for results. I'm not sure what I should do anymore... Have a bad feeling my melanurus is next...

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are treating with prazipro, then you need to follow the directions on the bottle and treat for 2 full cycles for flukes. That quick of a treatment will not help you.

Coralfuture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because you didn't mention it I assume all your other parameters are in good shape? Low Nitrates/No Ammonia? Just trying to get a better idea here of what we are looking for

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are all fine, I'm assuming?? That would rule out a toxin getting into the water.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are all fine, my other fish are also fine. I haven't tested for ammonia, but I've tested nitrates, phosphates, alk, cal, mg and they are all fine. I know that I need to dose prazipro twice, I plan on dosing again next tuesday, which will be 6 days after the first dose.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post your water parameters please...
Ph, Alk, Salinity, Temp, Ect....

Your Oxygen could be low??? How is flow and aeration in tank??

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang all wrasses are dying, they love to pick at bristle worms and eat them. 2 of my fairy wrasses in the past died from eating them, found them a few weeks apart both under rocks with bristles sticking through there head and out of there mouth's.
Not saying it's happening to yours but it could be a possibility?

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about pH, but I do think oxygen levels could be affected from the prazipro. It's been over 72 hours now though, so I think it should be getting better now. I have a good amount of surface agitation(mp40 and mp10 on 60 cube) and skimmer running 24/7. Actually my melanurus came out just now and looks OK, he's picking on the rocks right now.

Not sure about the bristleworms situation, I haven't seen too many in my tank lately. I think my wrasses cleaned them out a long time ago.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm just continuing to monitor my fish and feeding them frozen with some garlic and selcon. Hope for the best.

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaning towards low oxygen. Get an airstone in your tank asap. Do you have a tight lid on the tank? If so, remove it and replace with eggcrate.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaning towards low oxygen. Get an airstone in your tank asap. Do you have a tight lid on the tank? If so, remove it and replace with eggcrate.

I would replace with screen from BRS.

With a skimmer your water should be extremely aerated, if skimming while using prazipro, best to skim with the skimmer wide open and cup off.

Justin Bell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem right now. checked all my levels yesterday and everything was good to go. I just lost my black clown fish last night the day before I lost one of my damsels then 2 days before that it was my anthias. The start of it all was my brown tang next day was my desjardinii sailfin tang. I have no clue what is going on. I still have my wrasse, one damsel, and a coral beauty angel.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem seemed to go away after 2 doses of prazipro. I never got a positive ID on any flukes but my fish seem fine now.

I am having the same problem right now. checked all my levels yesterday and everything was good to go. I just lost my black clown fish last night the day before I lost one of my damsels then 2 days before that it was my anthias. The start of it all was my brown tang next day was my desjardinii sailfin tang. I have no clue what is going on. I still have my wrasse, one damsel, and a coral beauty angel.

reefologist55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of bristle works killing fish...i do know they are good scavengers and will do quick work of a fish ince it's dead...feeding the fish w treated food from garlic u fortunately won't help the current situation. Garlic is a preventative not a cure. Regarding .The comments of an airstone in the tank::: I've never heard of such a thing for saltwater. If you have a suno and Skimmer rubbing, that's more than enough oxygen......prazipro treats parasites and Fungi..you would see issues on the fish before they die if it was a result of soemsomet prazipro can fix....fish die randomly all the time....my advise would be not to treat the current issue..don't buy any new fish, give it a few weeks..then slowly try introducing fish back to the tank.

Justin Bell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back and forth on what to do..I wasn't going to add anything but I also want to get medication going before something else happens down the road.

reefologist55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add any new fish for 2-3 months.....the fish that you currently have any have that last would become resistant to whatever parasites are in the tank..as long as there are no signs for that time period, you can start adding fish slowly. As for as bristle worms..Imo they don't kill or harm fish...but I'd use a tweezer and get rid of the long ones, past 5"

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back