Fish bite or sting my finger, what can i do?

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two blood orange clowns and one blue tang and one neon velvet damsel in a QT, all are about 2" range
I was doing a water change, i put my hand inside to scrub the glass for algae and one of the fish bit me so hard that i bleed a drop of blood and its been mild pain on the middle finger and wondering if there could be any venom related issues and need to take care immediately. please advice.
Its been an hour, finger seem normal except the mild pain.

thanks.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any advice but they really can bite that hard? I'll have to test it out with my own some day

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean with soap and warm water. After that keep it dry. Observe for signs of infection: redness, warm to the touch, swelling, pus, excessive pain. If that occurs go to urgent care and they will prescribe antibiotics. Otherwise your good to go. Note that there will be some redness and swelling and pain as a part of the inflammatory process (bodies reaction to injury). But only if it is out of proportion is it likely to be infected.
There is no venom that I know of. If you find some let me know and we will publish a research paper.
Next time consider gloves.
Good luck!

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean with soap and warm water. After that keep it dry. Observe for signs of infection: redness, warm to the touch, swelling, pus, excessive pain. If that occurs go to urgent care and they will prescribe antibiotics. Otherwise your good to go. Note that there will be some redness and swelling and pain as a part of the inflammatory process (bodies reaction to injury). But only if it is out of proportion is it likely to be infected.
There is no venom that I know of. If you find some let me know and we will publish a research paper.
Next time consider gloves.
Good luck!
thanks for the info, yes it is warm to touch, I did a antiseptic wipe when it happen just now around 7pm, a very light swelling i would say, will monitor and by tomorrow morning i don't feel better then i will check out the urgent care.

I usually use glove when i work on the tank, this time it was a small QT and was lazy and thought i could just quickly wipe the glass out, but who knows the bite would be this hard.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish are notorious for biting the hand that feeds them. Been there!!! And still alive. If you’re worried a bit. Clean it and maybe antiseptic. Treat it like any cut.
thank you will see how it is in the morning.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info, yes it is warm to touch, I did a antiseptic wipe when it happen just now around 7pm, a very light swelling i would say, will monitor and by tomorrow morning i don't feel better then i will check out the urgent care.

I usually use glove when i work on the tank, this time it was a small QT and was lazy and thought i could just quickly wipe the glass out, but who knows the bite would be this hard.
The chance of getting an infection is super low. Try not to stress. And even if you do, more than likely will respond to a simple antibiotic regimen.
I used to have a snowflake eel that would bite me and break skin on several occasions. Never got infected. Our immune systems are pretty good at defending us.
You will know if it is infected because it will look and feel “angry”. It will be different than the normal pain and redness which is the normal bodies response to injury (which sounds like what you have now).

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I've contributed my share of blood to my tanks. Bites, stings and scrapes. Occasionally I will get a mild infection. Redness, swelling etc... I've never had to seek medical attention. You absolutely have to take any injury seriously, as occasionally a reef related infection can be extremely serious. Take all necessary precautions, but don't freak out too much. these things are going to happen.

OP
OP
balajeek15

balajeek15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to update, next day all is well and two days later no sign of it.
Next time i have to make sure i wear the gloves.
thank you all for the feedbacks.

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to contribute, I have a blood orange but mine is very timid, does not get close to my hand. On the other hand clowns I've had in the past used to bite me all the time and occasionally draw blood. They are quite the feisty ones.

Stings usually just leave small red bumps... only have ever received those from an anemone.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mocha clowns are named Jaws and Cujo. I HATE sticking my hands in that tank. I have work one handed and keep a net in the other hand to scare them into their anemone or it's game on. and they always go for the webbing between my fingers of that nice thin skin on my forearm.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish did the bite come from ?
Clownfish are known for biting as mentioned above .
a small tomato clown would draw blood every time I put my hand in the tank .

the velvet damsel is also a a hole and can inflict a nice bite .
I had one he was close to 4”-5” the only way to catch him was to use fishing line and a hook baited with seafood .

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez. Grow a pair…bite him back

Laugh So Hard Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You gotta get a pair of these !!!

AquaGloves

gloves.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back