Fish Biting the surface

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a few of my chromas and my Foxface occasionally bite at the water surface. Otherwise, they seem normally active and go around and up and down with no problem. I read about low Oxygen but the corals and other fish don't do this. The tank turnover is 388 gph in a 100 gal tank. The skimmer is running 24 / 7

Any Ideas.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

388 gph is not much water flow. Something around 10 times that would be more normal. Or is it 388 gph going from the tank to the sump and back?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sounds like they are gasping for oxygen.
Verify:
salinity
Temperature
ammonia level
Nitrate level

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face does the same thing occasionally. It seems to be behavioral? The fish looks as if it’s messing around rather than in distress.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have noticed a few of my chromas and my Foxface occasionally bite at the water surface. Otherwise, they seem normally active and go around and up and down with no problem. I read about low Oxygen but the corals and other fish don't do this. The tank turnover is 388 gph in a 100 gal tank. The skimmer is running 24 / 7

Any Ideas.

I would add another power head somewhere and try to aim it at the surface to get surface agitation.

Flow really depends on what you want in your tank.

Lps and softies are fine with 10x-20x the turn over flow/rate.

Sps like it more in the 20x-40x (depending) and very diverse flow.

Flow helps keep algea at bay also...

So what are you trying to keep in the tank?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is behavioural. My foxface does this also, usually after feeding he always heads to the same corner and goes up and seems to chomp the water's surface playing with the ripples between a powerhead and the overflow. If I walk over to the tank, he stops and heads over to the algae clip to beg for a snack.

I haver no lack of oxygenation with the cascading in the overflow, between sump chambers, skimmer, 3 powerheads and the return all causing their share of surface disruption. No other fish go near the surface.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank turnover of 388 gph for a 100gal tank is smack in the middle of the 3x-5x range. Tank turnover is flow through the sump.

The OP makes no mention of what the in-tank flow is.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have bubbles floating around at the surface? I've noticed that mine will do that after feeding. When I cut the pumps back on there's an initial bunch of bubbles that come out and float around on the surface and he goes after them. Maybe he thinks they're food? He usually stops after a while though, but I will see him blast toward the surface every now and again, but when I check it just looks like he's going after bubbles floating around.

OP
OP
Dr RBG

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as flow I have 2 gyre pumps one at each end. and the return pump is a Cor 20. My initial thought was that there was something up there they were eating. Thanks for all the ideas..

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo, I sat at home all day today (go figure) and noticed my fox face kept going to the back left corner and chomping at the top. Same corner every time. Maybe I just didn’t notice because I’m not usually stuck inside in the middle of the day.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back