OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I forgot, the angel tank is going in an L configuration with the discus tank instead of on the brick wall side of the room. I will have to move my desk to the right 20" which is fine. This way, I can have a workbench/storage area where the tank was going to go and get things really organized.

Here is a pic of the new closet door and one of the discus tank (ignore the power filter).

newdoor.jpg

discustankclearedup.jpg

If you look closely in the picture of the door, you can see the frame to the new workbench. Waiting on parts to get here today to finish up framing it.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts for the work bench didn't show up yesterday. They are out for delivery today so I can get the frame for the workbench built.

The plants for the discus tank are out for delivery as well.

My son and his buddy are coming to help put the mat under the 12 foot today.

And, I should have my new high speed 3d printer on Friday. It's a promo unit to test and supposedly is 4-5x as fast as my enders. We shall see....

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts for the work bench didn't show up yesterday. They are out for delivery today so I can get the frame for the workbench built.

The plants for the discus tank are out for delivery as well.

My son and his buddy are coming to help put the mat under the 12 foot today.

And, I should have my new high speed 3d printer on Friday. It's a promo unit to test and supposedly is 4-5x as fast as my enders. We shall see....
Do you already have discus lined up for the tank? If not, hit me up via text, as I know someone breaking down 3 tanks right now and one is discuss and the other is arowana and some other things. I think the small reef tank is already claimed.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Y'all think corals are expensive!

This was over $50 and this was after I cleaned them and trimmed the dead stuff. I will never buy from this place again.

The biggest plant is about 7" long.

pantsfrommodernaquarium.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Y'all think corals are expensive!

This was over $50 and this was after I cleaned them and trimmed the dead stuff. I will never buy from this place again.

The biggest plant is about 7" long.

pantsfrommodernaquarium.jpg
Dare I ask from where it is from? Nashville shop?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dare I ask from where it is from? Nashville shop?
No. I am going there Saturday. This was from Modern Aquarium.

The photos make them look huge and beautiful. This isn't my first rodeo as you know. I am super annoyed at them.

And, they rejected my review. lol.

I have always said never buy plants online, because, unlike corals, there is no WYSIWYG.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I am going there Saturday. This was from Modern Aquarium.

The photos make them look huge and beautiful. This isn't my first rodeo as you know. I am super annoyed at them.

And, they rejected my review. lol.

I have always said never buy plants online, because, unlike corals, there is no WYSIWYG.
So you have a busy day Saturday. Me too lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 footer is cleaned up. Just needs a final rinse and vac. I used 10 gallons of water and half a gallon of vinegar, 3 magic erasers and 3 plastic razor blades. :astonished-face:

This is a lot of glass to clean:

12footfromtheend.jpg

12footfromtheendtop.jpg

Do you think the tang gang will have enough running room? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 footer is cleaned up. Just needs a final rinse and vac. I used 10 gallons of water and half a gallon of vinegar, 3 magic erasers and 3 plastic razor blades. :astonished-face:

This is a lot of glass to clean:

12footfromtheend.jpg

12footfromtheendtop.jpg

Do you think the tang gang will have enough running room? :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Not enough room. They only belong in the ocean.

See, only the ocean.

tempImageZzt2ti.png

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand is still in the bags but in the tank. I just finished shimming it and it's pretty close. it's about 1/8" over the length of it according to my poor geometry skills. lol I figured this with a 4 foot level at the high end and shimmed the level until it was perfectly between the lines. This was about 1mm so multiply that by 3 and you get about 3mm or 1/8".

I think I will stop trying for perfection because it's supported well under each leg, anchored to the wall now and has no wobble at all. With a 1" thick bottom and 1/2" bottom eurobrace and 3/4" sides with eurobracing and cross braces (which I really want to cut out) I don't think this thing will break anytime soon. My buddy said we were a 1/2" out at the store even with shimming one end 1-1/4". I do recall having a ton of shim stock under it.

There will be 3 yellows (or 4 if they don't fight), a regal, yellow eye kole, flame and a sailfin.

This will be my first attempt at two coral beauties in one tank as well. I will introduce them at opposite ends of the tank.

Now, let's pour the sand and plumb this thing!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand in, bulkhead fittings in, overflow covers cleaned and ready to go in.

This is the view to the right hand side of my desk. I have a tough job!

twolittlefishies.jpg

The fish were custom made by a local stained glass artist for me in mirror image.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got as much plumbing on the 12 footer done as I can until the sump is under the 187. I decided to paint the stand the same gray as the brick wall and put my metal fish art on the doors. Way easier and no wasting materials this way.

Today is work on the new workbench/shelves, fix a couple shims I noticed something wrong with and cleaning up the mess from the work yesterday.

I am going to pick up some freshwater fish today in Cullman and tomorrow just north of Nashville.

If luck holds out, I will make the mods to the desk needed to fit the rsr525xl where it will go.

On top of all that, the new high speed 3d printer is out for delivery. I sure hope it lives up to the hype. If not, I am out nothing anyway. :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was great seeing @Eagle_Steve today.

I got a discus out of it and stopped by critters and grabbed a couple plants.

06CBED7C-4BE8-45EA-ADDC-0D875C4DFA41.jpeg

The monster fish made it to Coy’s fine and at in the pool and 170.

I got a bunch done in the room tonight preparing for the Red Sea tank coming next weekend. I still need to paint 4 doors of the 22 foot stand

going tomorrow to get my freshwater angels from my breeder friend.

all in all a good weekend.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my angelfish school and a couple more bristlenose plecos from the breeder today. Her and her husband are fantastic people!

angelfish.jpg

You can see in the right side of the photo I modified my desk to fit the other red sea reefer that will be turned freshwater. Picking it up next sunday and then the discus from the same breeder two weeks later.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was great seeing @Eagle_Steve today.

I got a discus out of it and stopped by critters and grabbed a couple plants.

06CBED7C-4BE8-45EA-ADDC-0D875C4DFA41.jpeg

The monster fish made it to Coy’s fine and at in the pool and 170.

I got a bunch done in the room tonight preparing for the Red Sea tank coming next weekend. I still need to paint 4 doors of the 22 foot stand

going tomorrow to get my freshwater angels from my breeder friend.

all in all a good weekend.
Good to see you as well. Hope the poor discus is ok. And sucks about the others. Just our luck lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see you as well. Hope the poor discus is ok. And sucks about the others. Just our luck lol.

He colored up nice overnight. I think he's gonna make it. He is currently schooling with the angels.

Yes, it is just normal luck on this fish adventures for something like that to happen. :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He colored up nice overnight. I think he's gonna make it. He is currently schooling with the angels.

Yes, it is just normal luck on this fish adventures for something like that to happen. :)
That is great. I also managed to make it in time to pick up my new yak. Which was awesome, but as fast as we tore the tank down it was kinda not hard to achieve lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend that sells driftwood just shipped me a few pieces to go in the 525 when it gets here. :)

I got all the screen frame corners printed for the 12 foot tank's screens and the frames assembled. I ordered a thing of netting and picked up some spline.

I already have a kit I bought for the 187. Dunno why I didn't just build my own for it too.

Not a whole lot got done today. But the day isn't over...

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back on painting the doors for the 12 foot stand. I feel like painting and staining is never ending with this room. :)

Oh well, it'll be worth it in the end.

Hopefully, I can get them done today. It takes roughly 1.5 hours per door for two coats and flash time. I don't have enough room to do more than one at a time and it's way too hot outside for me. I do a coat, set a one hour timer, second coat. I will wait about 15 minutes then set it off to the side on props since the back doesn't get painted. By the time the second door is done, I can put the first one on the stand via the magnets and french cleat and move on.

I wish I would have thought about painting it months ago before anything else was in the way. :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back