Fish building/man cave build!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So cool seeing the 12 footer up and running! I love the desk tank as well :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cool seeing the 12 footer up and running! I love the desk tank as well :)

Thanks.

It'll be better next week when I get it plumbed into the sump instead of just the canister filter.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished planting the discus tank and got my discus in!

They are a little peeved right now but looking good.

525planteddeskview.jpg

525plantedfront.jpg

discusin525.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the freshwater filter mounted to the water change stand. This will go into the brute container when it's time for water changes. I have to run the FW line down into the laundry room and hook it up. It's already coiled up in the attic waiting we just got a hot spell again and I am not about to climb up there.

I am (FINALLY!) filling the RODI container for the first time. It looks like it will take right at 6 hours to fill 35 gallons. Not bad. When it's full, I will turn the valve and let it drop into the bottom container and start mixing the salt water that will fill the sump this weekend and fill the top again, it'll shut off via float valve like the brute can used to in the laundry room.

The face frame for the discus tank is assembled, sanded and stained. Going to mount it to the stand shortly then measure for doors. I have to pick up a sheet of luan for the door panels and the visible end of the stand.

Got the 187 stand stained. Still need to run to my buddy's house and get the plywood for the floor and paint the inside.
I decided to go with all blue pvc for the plumbing that will be visible outside the stands and made custom pipe clamps to hold all of if neatly to the wall. I have most of the supplies just waiting on a couple more sticks of 1" blue. Should be here Friday. So, if my luck holds out, I will have the 12 footer plumbed to the sump Sunday! You have no idea how exciting that is to me.

And, lastly (for today's update) going to get the 187 from Brew Saturday. Already rounded up help and will have the stand leveled and ready to go ahead and put the sand and dead rock in and start filling with RODI. I am guessing it'll take 36 hours total to fill.

187standstained.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bad part about this water change station is only 30 gallons drops from top to bottom because of how the bulkhead is molded in. This means that either A. I only make 30 gallons of salt water per batch or B. I drain the RODI to the bottom, make more RODI, partially drain to fill the bottom and then mix 35 gallons.

Seeing as how I have always been woefully inadequate at water changes in the past, I will go with 30 gallons per week at first and see if it is ok with that, dosing kalk and supplementing alk as needed. I have so many fish, according to the guys at the Tropic Marin booth at the last show I went to, alk will drop like a rock. So much so, that all for reef won't keep up. I never knew this would happen but, it could explain a lot.

Thoughts on this?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i took a different route with the 187 stand. I painted the inside the gray to match the 12 foot stand, the outside stained to match the other two stands and a black 1/2" pvc floor in it to resist water.

I think it turned out really nice. The outer part that looks weird will be covered by aluminum trim this weekend that will help tie it in with the two freshwater stands too.

insideof187done.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the sump parts are cleaned up and assembled except for the few nylon thumbscrews I am missing. I will order more today.

I started heating/mixing salt water to fill the sump in preparation for the 12 foot switch over.

I am cleaning up the skimmer and going to see how much of a hassle it is to get it in and out for maintenance. I may put the sump on a sliding tray if it's too bad.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, would you look at that! I made it too the end. Great build and may your ED wait times be short, or long if you would rather be the one with the long wait time rather than the one critical enough to be rushed back. Personally, I'd chose the wait.

have you landed on a solution for flow in the 12'? I may have overlooked it.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, would you look at that! I made it too the end. Great build and may your ED wait times be short, or long if you would rather be the one with the long wait time rather than the one critical enough to be rushed back. Personally, I'd chose the wait.

have you landed on a solution for flow in the 12'? I may have overlooked it.

Thanks for following and powering through this nonsense!

Yes, I am using several 580gph powerheads from sunsun. Super cheap, quiet and suction mounts work well. Plus I have two Tunze one on each end to add push end to end.

I choose not to go to the ER, but, yes, the wait would be better given the choice.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 187 is coming today!

I got up this morning and levelled the stand with the sump full of water so it had some weight to it.

Man! This floor is off level. I mean, I know it was a carport but, holy crap! Oh well, nothing I can do about it now. Just use lots of shims and hope for the best. lol

I got the discus tank stand just about finished. I have to put in door stops, stain the back cover and put the shelves in the book shelf section but, it looks a ton better with the face frame, end panel and doors on.

disustankfacelift.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the tank from Brew12 and got it cleaned up. Somehow, I dorked up a thread on the bulkhead fitting removing the overflow. I ended up having to cut it. The bad part is, on older reef savvy overflows, you can't replace the bulkhead fittings. they built the internal box around them. DUH!

So, I ordered a blank box that is big enough and will drill it to match. This one is deep enought to replace the fittings if that ever becomes necessary.

s-l1600.jpg

It's made by modular marine. I bought one before for another tank and it worked well.

Should be here Friday and the tank will be full Saturday. Sunday I will transfer the fish from the tub.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got another overflow from brew to combine with the one I messed up to make a good one. I’m hoping modular lets me cancel the order.

I am trading a light for the skimmer I need I will be getting a reef octopus regal 250 int. That with the macro tank should be plenty of nutrient export.

I have to go to Birmingham Saturday to trade.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out how I am going to mount things like power bricks and controllers for stuff under the 187. I started with the UV sterilizer.

UV_mount.jpg

I keep finding more and more used for aluminum extrusions and 3d printing.

I also found out the skimmer I am getting probably won't fit the sump so I am going to do a split system and put a 20H on a stand next to the 187 and put the skimmer in it. Will make maintenance super easy. I will put a frag rack and light for the skimmer section of the sump since the space will be available.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 187 is plumbed, sand is in and it's filling! Only thing I am missing is one barb for the return line. I have until Friday to find that because it will take that long to filll it.

I will go ahead and put a heater, power head and part of the salt in tomorrow and get a jump on it.

I also got the rest of my brick and controller holders designed and printed today. Will mount them all tomorrow and put all the electrical in place.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following and powering through this nonsense!

Yes, I am using several 580gph powerheads from sunsun. Super cheap, quiet and suction mounts work well. Plus I have two Tunze one on each end to add push end to end.

I choose not to go to the ER, but, yes, the wait would be better given the choice.
I've had mixed experiences with suction mounts. The build was a good read, and stayed mostly on topic. One day I hope to have room for tanks like this. The wife wants discus too, but is hesitant to put them with the angels when we upgrade that tank.
I figured out how I am going to mount things like power bricks and controllers for stuff under the 187. I started with the UV sterilizer.

UV_mount.jpg

I keep finding more and more used for aluminum extrusions and 3d printing.

I also found out the skimmer I am getting probably won't fit the sump so I am going to do a split system and put a 20H on a stand next to the 187 and put the skimmer in it. Will make maintenance super easy. I will put a frag rack and light for the skimmer section of the sump since the space will be available.
I just got my first printer this past weekend. Man is it a learning curve. posts like this push me forward. and help sell the thing to the rational half (read: wife).

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mixed experiences with suction mounts. The build was a good read, and stayed mostly on topic. One day I hope to have room for tanks like this. The wife wants discus too, but is hesitant to put them with the angels when we upgrade that tank.

I just got my first printer this past weekend. Man is it a learning curve. posts like this push me forward. and help sell the thing to the rational half (read: wife).

Let me know if you need help. I can pm my number and we can discuss. I have been teaching/helping a few people get going and get over the learning curve hump lately. I love it!

Suction mounts and I have a love/hate relationship. But, with 3/4" glass and needing so many low powered pumps, it's a necessary evil unless I want to spend $$$$

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back