OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into the same issue with not having enough space in the compartment as am running the same skimmer as well! Holy crap our entire sump area is the same :) I couldn't figure out how to fit it into the sump. I figured I was going to have to drill a hole in the wall and have the pump on one side and the skimmer body on the other.
That’s strange but cool.

I’ll know tomorrow if my plan works or not. :)

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowell Lemon Do you think it would be ok to machine the lid down by an 1/8" just on side of it so it fits?

I was going to expose a 3/4" router bit in the table 1/16" make a pass, move the fence back 1/4" make a pass....
Then, raise to 1/8" and repeat. This would make a rabbet in the top 1/8"deep and about 3" of the lid wide.

Tell me I am not nuts for trying this. :)

The other possibility is to remove the skimmer, cover the sump and notch the 2x6. I don't think it will effect the structural integrity but, it'll scare the $%^& out of the fish!
Not sure the lid will not warp. What about a 3d print lid? Do you have some plastics that might resist warping? You could machine a lid out of polycarbonate and it might resist warping better. Just thoughts since I don't know what your lid is made out of.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure the lid will not warp. What about a 3d print lid? Do you have some plastics that might resist warping? You could machine a lid out of polycarbonate and it might resist warping better. Just thoughts since I don't know what your lid is made out of.

The 3d print did cross my mind. I can print polycarbonate.

In the end, it takes less work and is a better long term solution to just notch the beam.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 12 footer is running on the sump with the 187 and quiet as a church mouse.

I was afraid it was going to be very loud given the long horizontal runs of pipe. But, its isn't at all.

I am getting a ton of microbubbles coming out of the skimmer because the water level is too high. I will drain off some water out of the sump in a bit.

BTW, the 12 foot tank is about 1/4" off level :(

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuge/mangrove tank has water in it and waiting on the plumbing to cure for a couple days.

I fired it up today and it's quiet and ready for light.

It has 10 pounds of miracle mud and 20 pounds of aragonite and 2 mangroves so far. Hoping to get some nice looking macros soon.

mangrove_end_shot.jpg

Next up is gluing up the manifold and plumbing in the UV sterilizer. :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light on the Fuge and an alexa outlet setup to put them on a timer.

fugelit.jpg

There's a reason the lights aren't centered. It's so I can get my fat hands in there easier when I need to. :)

As you can tell, the doesn't effect the coverage at all.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The workbench is done. :)

workbench.jpg

And not a moment too soon! The new board for the ender 3 max came in today. Just need to clean up the mess around it and get to work. ;)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t get much done today except expanding my desk some and switching out computers.

spent the rest of the day cleaning in the house and took my wife to the Japanese place.

My todo list for this week is growing!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t get much done today except expanding my desk some and switching out computers.

spent the rest of the day cleaning in the house and took my wife to the Japanese place.

My todo list for this week is growing!
Spent the whole day with my two sons trying to catch Salmon or Steelhead. Time well spent but no fish!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update: I hate smelly fish rooms and stores! I pride myself on not allowing that to happen so when my wife said my room was starting to smell like "an old aquariums shop" I knew I had to do something.

I haven't been running any carbon* and I totally forgot to install an exhaust fan.

The new exhaust fan that will evacuate the room in 12 minutes at 38db will be here tomorrow.

I am hooking up the reactor today. Oddly enough, it's not the freshwater systems smelling. I usually don't have an issue with marine systems but they are the culprit in this room.

Hopefully, in a few days, the room will be back to it's fresh smelling self and my wife won't scrunch up her nose when she walks in. After all, she likes cleaning the glass so I have to make her comfortable in here. :)

*I really don't like running carbon because, I believe it removes necessary minerals in both fresh and saltwater and I also believe it can, long term, contribute to lateral line erosion in tangs. I will only run it a few days at a time, twice a month starting today.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's insane how quickly carbon works.

Walked in the room this morning and barely can detect any smell.

I will run it a couple more days, take it off and see how long this works before running it again.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a buddy of mine did a video of the fish room and interviewed me for his youtube channel today.

It was kinda uncomfortable and I am nervous to see it. I will post a link to it after he is done editing.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the skimmer I bought died today. not sure if it's the controller or pump.

I will call into coralvue tomorrow and see if they can tell.

If it's a new controller, I will get one. A new pump.... no way, no how I am paying that much.

I am probably going to try and adapt a different brand of pump to it and see what happens

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back