OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back to work this morning. Super tired still.

Sherry is back about 95% and back at work as well.

I didn't get anything done except some tweaks to the 75. Hopefully, soon, I will be back on the build. I am really frustrated it isn't farther along.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Tidal Gardens has a sale going on....

:)

I got the slimer, hollywood stunner and electric lemonade on it's way along with something free.

I will get them in the 75 and acclimating then they arrive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D55432C4-9636-464E-8762-5CC5467EB516.jpeg
Couple of new frags

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tidal Gardens did a great job packing and shipping. The corals immediately opened up. I really like the freebie I got. Slow Burn Monti.

I just wish I could photograph better.

I will be buying from them again.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 240 is going to Coy's today. Kinda sad to see it go, but, it is a huge step toward my goals.

Also, there is a good chance that the entire two bays of the carport will be closed in. Same money, double the room. I have to check on a couple things about layout and storing all my mechanics tools to where I can still easily get to them and then I will know for sure.

This opens up a HUGE possibility if I do both sides.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on the truck so I can move it out and cleaning up stuff.

got the layout done of the new room. It looks like a ray pool is in my future.

I am toying with the idea of building the frag and display fuge stands out of aluminum extrusions.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray pool is a go! It will be 60x48x22 but run at a depth of 18”. Plan on a small rock pile in the corner with mangroves.

I have to cut down the frag and fuge tanks to 24x24

I scored an asm g3 is good working order today. I plan on recirc modding it and running it and a tunze chaeto reactor on the pool. Should do a nice job.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not reef related. The tree trunk driftwood pieces showed up today for the 12 foot tank.

I also got a new 10" 80t acrylic and plastics blade for the table saw.

And I ordered the aluminum extrusions to build the two tier stand for the display fuge and the frag tank and, hopefully planned enough, for the clown tank stand. It's a 16" cube I have in storage. Gotta polish a couple of scratches out of it.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, I don’t know how this stuff happens. I am now adding a 187 and a considerable number of fish to the system. Don’t worry not all will be in the 187. I am putting some in the Red Sea reefer and a couple in the lagoon ray pool.

basically I am rescuing a few fish from a 90 setup. The owner passed away and his wife can’t care for them long term. Also, a good buddy is gifting me his fish and the tank they are in while he plans for his dream tank.

we ordered the minisplit yesterday, and 80 more pounds of aragonite came in with another bucket of salt.

I now have 300 pounds of sand, 20 pounds of live sand and about 400 gallons worth of salt. I need two buckets of reef crystals and I’m all set.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 187 stand build will commence tonight after I get the lizard tank stand built out of 2020.

I am doing the front of the 187 stand with no center brace in the front. Instead I am using a piece of C channel 4"x1.5" 60" long. The structural engineer ran it through a deflection plugin in solidworks and it's .002 at 330 pounds in the center. Since this tank is evenly distributed, I don't think there's an issue. ;)

I am debating building a new stand for the RSR625 to match. I am going to put a 48" sump I have laying around under the 187 and tie the RSR into it and put the display fuge and frag tank under the 625xxl if I do build a new stand for it. or vice versa.

I will see how the build of the 187 stand goes first. If it goes fast enough, then I will start on the other. I have enough materials. The C channel I got from my buddy was holding up the garage door opening in a basement of a two story house and is 16 feet long. He just gave it to me so he didn't have to haul it off. :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got Cal's (the Beared Dragon) stand built out of 2020. This stuff amazes me how sturdy it is. The hat shaped T nuts are a bit fibbly to get them to stay straight but, overall, it's easier and way faster than wood. I had to buy an aluminum blade for my small power miter box and cut out 12 pieces and then assemble. I will post pics soon, after I finish the light rack.

I started cutting pieces for the 187 stand last night as well. I am pretty convinced I am going to build a new stand for the 625xxl as well. I will repurpose a bunch of parts from the original stand like the top, doors, hinges and leveling feet if I do. Just waiting until I get the 187 stand assembled first to see how much work it takes mating steel to wood in this fashion.

I also decided to make a matching floating canopy for the 187 as well. It will house two a360we set for looks not growth as it will be a fowlr.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is Cal's stand with the light rack on it. I really like the look. Still need to clean up cords. After the pic, I put a wire rack shelf on the bottom and moved her food and supplies to it.

cal_cage.jpg

There was kind of a unanimous decision over the weekend about what tank to use for what. I kind of half mentioned it, you know "I wish I had though about..." and it took off from there. So here goes:

The RSR 625XXL will now be a planted discus tank run by a canister filter (some plumbing alteration will take place)
The 187 Will still be a tang focused FOWLR
The 12 foot tank will now be one of the longest nano reefs ever. LOL I plan on multiple islands of live rock in it.
The ray pool will now be in the middle of the room to make it easier to view from top down.
My son's flat back hex will be added for him to have a planted community tank in.

I hope this is the final revision.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back