OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to start an all out war thread so I am asking those who follow this thread and have used more than one salt to comment.

What salt do you recommend? Why?

I have been using IO and RC forever. Seemed like other salts didn't do as well, but, lately, I feel like it's harder to keep Alk in range (7-9) with them. I have to dose more.

Now, I will say the 75 setup I got used and is using RC and All for Reef and it's staying at 7.3 but I am about to bump up dosing a bit to get it closer to 8. That way, if it drops a bit in a day, it won't go below 7.0

I keep mixed tanks or soft coral tanks. I have done one SPS dominant tank and a disaster happened from a failed Apex. A VERY expensive disaster.

With only having about 250 gallons total in displays in the new room, cost won't be that much of an issue but, I don't want to get stupid with spending either.

Let me know what you think!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when buying salt IO always, RC,seems to fluctuate in dkh ,ime,
best mixing good old TM,
still favor IO ,after 30 yrs...:)
not too much or too little change imo.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Red sea coral pro and IO. Personally I would rather IO over anything bc of the price and the way it mixes. It's not as clean as tropic marin pro, which is what i would use if not IO, but it is much cheaper I also have about 800 gallons total so cost is big factor. Not to mention TM pro can be hard to get at times. As far as ALK, i dose BRS two part and tropic marin A and K and C, and find my alk is dead on at 8.4 to 8.5.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input. I think I will finish out the bucket of RC I have and go back to IO when I setup the room. Since everything will be on the same sump, I will just transfer all the water out of the 75 (it's only going to be 32 feet from sump to sump and 4 feet above it in the house) and then add IO water to that to get up to volume.

I am also going to be setting up an auto water change system that will change out about 3 gallons a day.

Between that, the display fuge, curve 9 elite and the All for Reef, it should maintain a nice system. And, since it didn't sell, I always have the calcium reactor on standby. Just have to get a solenoid and ph controller.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone get anything good on sale?

I got two quiet one pumps, a co2 scrubber and media and a co2 solenoid for the planted tank.

kinda funny I am scrubbing co2 from one system and adding it to another. Too bad I couldn’t just transfer it. lol

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a buddy to visit a couple who run a freshwater shop out of their garage. Very nice folks. Pretty darn good selection. What was impressive was their personal collection. I should have asked to take photos.

I will next time.

I got some really good ideas on stuff. And, I am probably going to be selling them plants.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, update on progress.

Tim's truck will be running tomorrow which means it will be out of the way so my truck can have the temporary shoes put back on and roll it out of the way. I will then tarp the truck and move everything to one side of the carport and start framing. I have to get with my buddy and see if he can deliver the 12 foot tank soon before the framing can begin.

I am hoping to be framed and sheathed by Christmas but at least by new years as I have 11 days off. Once that's done, it should move pretty quickly. As soon as the vapor barrier and insulation is in, the minisplit and door/window go in and that means I can heat it while I finish the inside.

Has anyone run a kit like this for an air compressor?

Air line kit

I was going to run black pipe but, it's insanely expensive to do it right now and a pain to get the right length.

I want to have an air outlet above my desk for cleaning light fixtures and such (with a pressure regulator set low) and one on the end of the building outside for running air tools on cars.

Input is appreciated.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
morning,looks good,145 psi. good to -4 degrees.
only thing i see is possible condensation freezing ,and blowing lines??
lets bug @Eagle_Steve ... :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
morning,looks good,145 psi. good to -4 degrees.
only thing i see is possible condensation freezing ,and blowing lines??
lets bug @Eagle_Steve ... :)
Should be fine, as long as you put a water separator at the compressor. For outside, I would do 1/2” pvc. That line and fitting are going to kill cfm for air tools.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine, as long as you put a water separator at the compressor. For outside, I would do 1/2” pvc. That line and fitting are going to kill cfm for air tools.

I was kinda worried about that. I have a pretty big air compressor and I want to use it to it's potential. Blasting cabinet, impact wrench, etc.

I found another kit but the link won't work. It's rigid pipe made for air lines but $$$. I am torn. Need to decide soon because some of it has to be run in the walls.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
will the pex be compromised by,sunlight ??
i think once inside wall ,no prob, but outside ,pvc.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't be outside. Will run from compressor (inside carport) up to the attic, over to the two wall drops. Only thing exposed will be one quick connect for an air hose.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't be outside. Will run from compressor (inside carport) up to the attic, over to the two wall drops. Only thing exposed will be one quick connect for an air hose.
Then you could use pex. My whole shop is done in 3/4" pvc lol. Was pretty cheap to do it that way and was able to use threaded ends, so if I ever messed up a quick connect, could just change it out.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you could use pex. My whole shop is done in 3/4" pvc lol. Was pretty cheap to do it that way and was able to use threaded ends, so if I ever messed up a quick connect, could just change it out.

I am going to use pex to 1/2" fpt connectors with mounting tabs to screw them to studs. Then, screw in 1/2" mpt quick connects.

Pretty sure this is the way to go. Huge air volume and only $100 or so total and can be expanded really easily, just shut off the air, cut, crimp, turn on air.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a solution Rapid air max line kit. About $210.00 Northern equipment.

I looked at that one too. I think it comes down to price and not having too many parts left over that I paid for and didn't use.

I got a buddy of mine that's going to give me a bunch of pex line in 3/4" and He has quite a few fittings I can have. I also found a bag of fittings I forgot to return after we finished plumbing the bathroom.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well folks, Sherry and I have Covid. She has no sense of smell. I am exhausted and sore but good other than that.

I can’t go get supplies for the build but I can get more done on the truck and go through all my aquarium supplies and start clearing stuff out and organizing.

Back