image.jpg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try this again.

A lot of plans changed after I started a thread about getting a fish building/man cave so I am starting over and had the other thread deleted.

I am getting a 10x20 custom made building delivered in a couple months to house a 12 foot long planted angel tank, a couple of frag tanks and a Red Sea reefer 625XXL I got a great deal on last night.

I am starting the thread now because, the RS tank will replace my current 240 gallon tank as soon as my buddy picks it up so I have to set up the 625XXL to hold everything until the building is delivered and all the finishing work is done.

Here is a list of what will be done to the building:

Mini-split system capable of 600 square feet
humidity actuated exhaust fan
Multiple outlets added to what will already be there along with associated wiring and breakers
Insulation and waterproof 5.3mm plywood on the walls then primed and painted.
Custom built in desk and shelves for three 3d printers and supplies

The 12 foot tank measures 144" x 16 x 18 and holds approximately 140 gallons. I am modding the drains and returns to use two canister filters and a UV filter.

The RS 625XXL will have the drains adapted to imperial piping so I can use my fijicube 36 sump. I built a custom acrylic topoff that will be used on it and auto filled from my boosted RODI

I already ordered the adapters and modded the stand with steel to prevent droop. I hate the look of the retrofit kit Red Sea sends out to fix the potential sag.

I will be painting the inside of the cabinet white this weekend with Krylon fusion satin white after a good cleaning and making sure it's good and dry.

Also going to go ahead and install led lighting to the cabinet while it's easy to get into this weekend.

Here is a shot of the 12 foot tank when it was in my store before it closed:

12foot.jpg

This will be a months long build but, I will keep you posted and see it through to the end.
The measurements 144x18x16
Divided by 231 is 179.5 gal

looks great !
following along to watch this build progress

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The measurements 144x18x16
Divided by 231 is 179.5 gal

looks great !
following along to watch this build progress
That’s the outside dimensions. It’s .75” glass on the sides and ends and 1” on bottom. :)

glad you are along for the ride!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wish I could find a 72x24x18h tank instead of the reefer without having to order one from @Joe Glass Cages but I may eventually do that. I swear one day he will own my house. lol

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the 3030 and brackets for the water change station today. Projects like this I can work on while it's bad weather or too dark to frame.

For a little over $125 it will look good, be sturdy and basically last forever. I will also be able to get the container out for easy cleaning as well since I will use unions on the plumbing to make it removable.

Going to use a submersible pump for salt mixing instead of an external. Cheap, easy and less chance of a leak.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to print a stand for the skimmer to raise it up. Works like a charm now.

The 3030 will be here tomorrow.

Hopefully, it stops raining soon so I can get to framing. Luckily the lumber is under cover.

We ironed out the details and are picking up the 12 foot tank Sunday after noon.

I am also making headway on the aptasia issue in the 75 about 95% gone.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

I want to be able to show off the tanks via the web 24/7. The web portion I am good with. Does anyone have suggestions on inexpensive cameras for this?

I looked at the wyze pans but you have to have an app to view them.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I whipped up a skimmate locker in a few minutes. Had the stuff lying around and a bucket with a screw on lid from a buddy, so, why not?

carbon_filter.jpg

lid_top.jpg

under_lid.jpg

I still have to get a 1/2" slip to hose barb and setup the pump shutoff circuit.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang 3030 got delayed. :(

But, I finished the locker except the float switch, can't find my box of them.

I also ordered a float valve for the RODI container of the change station.

I found a really nice window that was a customer return at the local building supply for cheap today as well.

All in all, a good day.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were doing mangroves in a display with a mainly open sandy bottom, would you put in a tang if so, what kind?

was leaning toward a yellow eye kole but am open to suggestions.

I can’t find information about mangrove lagoons and tangs so it’s up in the air what fish besides two rays are going in it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were doing mangroves in a display with a mainly open sandy bottom, would you put in a tang if so, what kind?

was leaning toward a yellow eye kole but am open to suggestions.

I can’t find information about mangrove lagoons and tangs so it’s up in the air what fish besides two rays are going in it.
Well, being as I just got a tang for the mangrove lagoon and it was a yellow eye, I would say that lol. Reasons I went with a kole, they are algae eating machines, IME they eat more gha and turf than red macros/larger green macros, they eat at all angles (not just head down), they are smaller, and easy for them to weave in and out of smaller areas.

Also plan to add a tomini when I can find one.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, being as I just got a tang for the mangrove lagoon and it was a yellow eye, I would say that lol. Reasons I went with a kole, they are algae eating machines, IME they eat more gha and turf than red macros/larger green macros, they eat at all angles (not just head down), they are smaller, and easy for them to weave in and out of smaller areas.

Also plan to add a tomini when I can find one.

That was my thought process as well. Since I won't be able to have snails or crabs in that tank because the rays will munch on them.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my thought process as well. Since I won't be able to have snails or crabs in that tank because the rays will munch on them.
I have snails and hermits. But I have mexi turbos that the grouper and black ear wrasse eat every now and again. The hermits are very large white legs from Florida. Ray’s can’t eat them, at least smaller rays. They are also algae destroyers. Can bring ya some back if ya want. Heading down end of March so no biggie if ya want some larger ones.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have snails and hermits. But I have mexi turbos that the grouper and black ear wrasse eat every now and again. The hermits are very large white legs from Florida. Ray’s can’t eat them, at least smaller rays. They are also algae destroyers. Can bring ya some back if ya want. Heading down end of March so no biggie if ya want some larger ones.

Absolutely!

Mangroves any macros and those crabs will all be great additions.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely!

Mangroves any macros and those crabs will all be great additions.
I got you on mangroves. Don’t buy any. Have about 45 right now all sprouted and grown in sw from pods.

Macro is low right now, but first of April will have a crap ton and will have the 800 tub set back up in the garage for it.

You know I got ya man lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you on mangroves. Don’t buy any. Have about 45 right now all sprouted and grown in sw from pods.

Macro is low right now, but first of April will have a crap ton and will have the 800 tub set back up in the garage for it.

You know I got ya man lol.

Same here. When the corals get fragged, I will send pics.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back