OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad no luck on anything larger than 4" pvc. I know there is a piece of 8" somewhere, but cant find it lol.

Thanks for looking bud. If I have to, I have access to a piece of 12" schedule 40 that's 5 foot long. I may use it for the body and collection cup. But, that large, I would have to have at least two recirc pumps.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the test fit on 2020 of the bracket I designed for the smatfarm lights. Pretty slick!

lightrailtestsmatfarm.jpg

Its very strong and looks almost factory.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished printing the brackets overnight for the redsea light rack. Today, I got the lights mounted and the wires clipped in place then bundles with velcro.

lightrackredseaback.jpg

The little cross bars are to add some smaller 5000K lights if the 6500K turn out to be too white.

The shades, I designed and printed.

lightrackredseafront.jpg

I could have sworn that I saved a bunch of suspension cable stuff from the store, but, for the life of me, I can't find it. I ordered some off amazon last night, should be here tomorrow and I can hang this thing up.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if anyone has smatfarm lights, I will print the brackets for them for just postage and materials cost.

I am sure there will be a bigger operation take the design and start selling them for a stupid price before long.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, who was it asked for pictures a couple weeks ago? Sorry I caught up with a vengeance! LOL

Here is the stand and a shot of the backlighting.

635xxlonstand.jpg

backlighting.jpg

I got some more cleaning to do and the tank needs to go back further which will make the backlighting look better too.

But, overall, I am pleased with the results.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The desk is done!

Just had to throw a printer on there to see how it looked. :)

desk.jpg

Pardon the mess.

Building a desk like this was different for sure. But, I looks cools and only cost about $175 total.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have a filament addiction:

lotsoffilament.jpg

That's just the open stuff. There is 20+ rolls unopened that will go on a shelf.

:)

I also picked up the lumber for the frame to the big stand today. I already have the luan to face it and then stain it to match the red sea stand.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying not to change things this late in the game. I got offered another5 foot long tank at an amazing deal and might go with it instead of the two 30" frag tanks. It's a tough decision.

I could do a couple smaller frag tanks under the 12 foot tank. Just harder to view.

Decisions, decisions...

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I saw the tank in person... holy cow! That thing looked like it had been through a war. If, when it was cleaned, and I mean a lot, there were no scratches, it would have to be cut apart and reassembled then new rims put on it. A simple reseal wouldn't do it in this case. You could tell it leaked at least two different times. The photos sent to me had water and fish in the tank. lol.

Hard pass on that one.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got most of the parts for the big stand cut and pocket hole drilled this evening.

I will assemble what I have cut tomorrow so I can cut the rest.
Will be glueing on luan as a veneer and staining to match the Red Sea stand in the next couple days.

This one won’t have doors under the 187. It’ll be wide open to make maintenance easier and force me to keep the sump and skimmer clean.

:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started stand assembly, picked up the glass patch from the glass shop (and found out my sealant is bad) and built the light rack for the 12 foot tank.

I have also printed two of the 5 light shades for the 12 foot tank and finished printing the brackets for the 187 light rack.

This was all while making twice fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy for them and mashed cauliflower for me, green beans and cleaning the kitchen.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need to do a get together again.
Asolutely! Sherry and I were talking about it last night.

We are heading to the beach in a few weeks. Hopefully, all the livestock will be in the new room by then. After that, we can start planning.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More outlets installed. A little more work on the 187 stand and got the patch sealed in the Red Sea formerly reefer. lol

I got sent the wrong dang hammer nuts for the 187 light rack so that’s on hold until they get here Friday.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed up the design of the mounts for the a160we that are going over the FOWLR tank. The ones I had were too loose and had a tiny bit of bend to them under the weight of the light.

This is much better:

a160_mounting_plate.jpg

I used M3D perfomance PLA in natural. Really strong stuff.

Here is the thingiverse file if anyone would like to print some.

I finished the light rack for the 187, BTW.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back