OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you have valves on each outlet to balance the flow?
Nope. I am getting a bunch of black caps.

Basically, I drill them with a step bit starting with the smallest hole at the far end and gradually getting bigger. I can swap out caps as I see fit or totally remove them. Another thing to do is heat a short piece of pvc and turn it into a nozzle by pinching it. This can adjust the flow as well.

The reason for this is expense and looks. I want it to blend in as much as I can and still keep the manifold on top of the aquarium for easy access. Plus that many true union valves would get expensive.

I did one of these on my 240 and worked perfectly. I ended up with one pinched nozzle, 4 caps with holes of different sizes and one totally open.

Now, the only caveat to this is, once you drill a cap larger, you can't go back so it is a waste. But, even buying the caps in black, they aren't expensive.

I will try it completely open at first and feel the flow coming out and see where it needs help. Keep in mind, I only shoot for 4 or 5 times turnover per hour so there won't be much flow at each outlet to begin with. It's all about distributing the filtered water and letting the power heads create flow. I can force more through if I decide to later on and adjust the caps.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return manifold is done and working. Nothing to adjust at this point.

We salvaged about 9 bubble tip anemones and all of the other corals. The bristle worms are way worse than anticipated. Good thing I am bleaching the rock. I may not even be able to save the sand.

The 187 actually is looking like a reef with all the corals moved over. Everything that went into the 187 is already open this morning.

I also placed an order with WWC for 4 corals on the sale this weekend. Won't be here until the end of the first week of January. That's fine, gives me time to add the bracketry to the 187 light fixture for the additional G5 fixture I ordered. That makes 3 and I will probably add a fourth before too long. The spread is fantastic out of these lights but, I don't want to have to lower the fixture much more for the SPS I am adding. I like the room to work in there.

Just to be on the safe side, I am measuring PAR after I get the third light on so I know where to best place frags.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC_order.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small rant and praise:

First, I absolutely hate Facebook coral auctions.

I tried to participate in one this weekend. It was almost impossible to tell exactly what was going on, you see everyone's bid and who bid it. And, you are locked in to pay full shipping even if you only win one auction.

I didn't realize the shipping part until I placed a bid on something. It would have made me pay over $60 for a $20 frag if I had one. Luckily, somebody outbid me.

Never again. Coral dealers: Please figure out a better way of doing business than FB. PLEASE!

On the flip side, I found exactly what I wanted at fair prices and low shipping on @WWC and was in and out in 15 minutes. Their prices have come way down and their website is much improved over a couple years ago. Good job guys!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still needing Red Monti Cap and Bali green slimer for SPS.

Also want a bunch of different leathers.

I bought some nice mushrooms I have to pick up later this week.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having to get my hands wet everytime I need to remove the filter sock plate for cleaning and not wanting to get saltwater on a good screwdriver, I printed this:

screwdriver.jpg

Works perfectly. Not to mention, it saves my arthritic fingers from undoing thumb screws. ;)

Again, I love having printers at my disposal!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having to get my hands wet everytime I need to remove the filter sock plate for cleaning and not wanting to get saltwater on a good screwdriver, I printed this:

screwdriver.jpg

Works perfectly. Not to mention, it saves my arthritic fingers from undoing thumb screws. ;)

Again, I love having printers at my disposal!
Looks like a miniature version of one of those cigarette butt stations.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some cleaners to my WWC order without extra shipping. Nice!

50 astrea and a sand sifter.

I really need about 100 but with all that's going on in the 12 foot tank, I will wait and get another order of the same for it when the rock goes back and settles in.

I am so tempted to get a copperband just because I think they are so pretty. But, lately, I am told they are really sketchy and die most of the time.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was Gifted me a Tunze macro algae reactor. It never did work well. All id managed to was grow hair algae and that would clog it up. I finally determined the light was the problem. I was running duck tape and a grow light strip in place of the original light and that was an improvement. So I wanted to improve it further and make it look better. Whilst on the phone taking care of work issues, I came up with a way to improve it. A strip on either side in aluminum extrusions as a shield and heatsink and held on by the original band. Worked a treat! Now to hook it up and put some chaeto in it.

channel.jpg

channeloutside.jpg

outsidelookingin.jpg

inside.jpg

I am pretty sure this will grow macro way better than before and doesn't need to be super powerful because the chaeto won't be more than a couple inches from a light source. If it needs more, I can add 2 or four more strips by peeling off the labels.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was Gifted me a Tunze macro algae reactor. It never did work well. All id managed to was grow hair algae and that would clog it up. I finally determined the light was the problem. I was running duck tape and a grow light strip in place of the original light and that was an improvement. So I wanted to improve it further and make it look better. Whilst on the phone taking care of work issues, I came up with a way to improve it. A strip on either side in aluminum extrusions as a shield and heatsink and held on by the original band. Worked a treat! Now to hook it up and put some chaeto in it.

channel.jpg

channeloutside.jpg

outsidelookingin.jpg

inside.jpg

I am pretty sure this will grow macro way better than before and doesn't need to be super powerful because the chaeto won't be more than a couple inches from a light source. If it needs more, I can add 2 or four more strips by peeling off the labels.

I heard that algae reactor was actually the very first one sent to the United States by Tunze. I also heard the guy who got it has paperwork verifying it to be true. Additionally, I heard the same person is a heck of a guy!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that algae reactor was actually the very first one sent to the United States by Tunze. I also heard the guy who got it has paperwork verifying it to be true. Additionally, I heard the same person is a heck of a guy!

All true except the last part.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to install the chaeto reactor and I am missing a piece of the hose and it's metric. Living in Farmer Ted's back yard, there is no metric to be found. Lovely.

:rolleyes:

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does farmer Ted have a legnth of freedom unit hose and some clamps?

I got it covered for now. My buddy is bringing some 3/4" silicone hose over and I have some plastic clamps.

I ordered more hose that will be here first week of January. :)

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third light added to the 187 and all the shades on now.

looks good nice even light

Are we all supposed to close our eyes and imagine how it’s “nice even light?” Pics!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back