Fish building/man cave build!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry about Tiny brother. I have never seen anything like it.
Nothing you could do man. No worries and stuff happens. About had same thing happen in my 500. Had to put my 18” vlamingi into the 7’ frag tank. He went crazy all of a sudden. Luckily the des tang was about to hold its own until I got my he in the tank.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using citric acid for the first time to clean some parts. WOW! All done with vinegar now. No smell, works really quickly and rinses clean.

I am going to fill the overflow with water and put some in it and then take the really long skinny nozzle I 3d printed and vac it out after is soaks for a bit. I see what appears to be fish bones in the bottom so I am guessing that is the vile smell. ;Vomit

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New magnetic catches installed. Work way better than the factory ones. Only cost $7 on amazon for all 3.

I setup the new (to me) RODI with my smart buddie booster over the weekend and got it producing water. I had one line hooked up wrong (dang color blindness!) and then found out I need a new membrane. It'll be here tomorrow.

But, the good news is, it produced about 20 gallons of water in 4 hours so it looks like the 120gpd is going to happen. Albeit right now at about 11 ppm out of the membrane. ;Wideyed

I also got the plumbing converted to imperial and ordered blue pipe and elbows from formufit. I said I wasn't going this fancy on this tank but, I lied to myself. I also laid out the top off, doser and dosing resevoir setup and like the positioning of it all. Only thing to figure out now is the layout of the controllers and power supplies.

Here is a couple shots of the floating canopy with the 8020 and two lights test fit:

canopytest1.jpg

canopytest2.jpg

I am very happy with the way it worked out. I can loosen a few screws and move the lights back and forth and left to right. I can easily add lights as the need arises.

Now, I need to removed the 8020 setup and fill, sand and paint, then reassemble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test fit the mounting setup for the canopy. Worked really well. A little reinforcement on the back side of the canopy and it'll be good to go. Should have that done tonight and filled and sanded.

The new membrane and float valve should be here today so I can get to making some 0 TDS water!

I really need to get a third a360x The more I test it with two, the more I realize I need more coverage to get PAR up in the 200-250 range at the top third of the tank. I can use the two a160we to help fill in at first, but, that really won't cut it long term. Anybody got a good used one?

This is after we took it off the wall.

mounttestfit.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out my sliding sump tray. I will pick up the parts I need tonight after work. Let's just say it involves a bunch of these:

bearing.jpg

I got the canopy reinforcement done and glued in but didn't finish sanding everything. Hopefully, tonight or tomorrow.

Blue plumbing supposed to be here tomorrow.

I have three printers going printing screen corners, a feeding portal and return plumbing parts with random flow genertators. Also, printing wire management stuff along with Tunze topoff pump stand.

I keep checking things off and adding more. LOL

I bought a 75 foot roll of 3/8" double sided velcro to bundle wires and such.

I have to get most of the stuff done this weekend and next because we gut the hall bathroom 10/1.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A man cave indeed! Nice to see you taking the plunge!

Good to hear from you!

You will recognize the frag tanks once I get pics of them finished. ;)

I actually designed 3d printed the overflows.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy I was getting the 2 a360x from got ahold of 4 a360we. Since I already have the spectral controller and aux cables for these, I am switching my lighting plan to them. Better coverage and won't have to upgrade for a while. I do, however, plan on putting in a DIY light bar with 410-430nm 3 watt LEDs to compensate where the kessils lack in that area and give the corals more pop. I have one made already for an 8 foot tank. I will just cut it down to fit and figure out a decent mounting option for it. Shouldn't take much work and won't kill the shimmer.

I get them Sunday and will test fit them in the canopy and make brackets to mount them if necessary.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I may have goofed up part of the plan. I am using the sump from my 240 (fijicube 36) on the 625xxl. The blue plumbing will be in today but, I can't fit the plumbing because I am still using the sump!

I guess, once I move the tank into the building, I can take the sump off the 240 and just run a cycled canister filter, power heads and heaters for a few days while I finish the plumbing on the red sea. OR I could go ahead and switch the sump out now. Hmmmmm.... Anyone have thoughts on this?

I was hoping, for once, not to have a last minute thrash on a build. Oh well, it'll work out I guess.

BTW, my buddy backed out on buying the 240 so it will be for sale with a different sump
(48x18x13 acrylic from glass cages) as soon as I move everything over to the new tank.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I may have goofed up part of the plan. I am using the sump from my 240 (fijicube 36) on the 625xxl. The blue plumbing will be in today but, I can't fit the plumbing because I am still using the sump!

I guess, once I move the tank into the building, I can take the sump off the 240 and just run a cycled canister filter, power heads and heaters for a few days while I finish the plumbing on the red sea. OR I could go ahead and switch the sump out now. Hmmmmm.... Anyone have thoughts on this?

I was hoping, for once, not to have a last minute thrash on a build. Oh well, it'll work out I guess.

BTW, my buddy backed out on buying the 240 so it will be for sale with a different sump
(48x18x13 acrylic from glass cages) as soon as I move everything over to the new tank.
Let me know about the 240 sir.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The formufit order came in last night. I have to tell you, their customer service is top notch. I ordered the wrong number of elbows and sent them an email. They sent me an invoice for the extras, I paid, they still got them packed up together and shipped same day and I got them in 3 days. Well done!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the guys in the planted tank forum I am on said he didn't know whether to applaud my gumption or have me commited for this project. I told him I am looking at crazy in the rear view. Been doing this stuff since 1973. ;)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah yeah! fallowing
I have a RS 650P reef and was about to get a 90P for my 1st planted tank then....I was thinking about I should try to convince the other half for another large SW tank for a FOWLR.

so here I am debating between a planted FW and a large fish only such a hard one.
I need a man cave in fact every man should have one. its manly after all.

can you tell me more about this steel building? I was just looking in the yard and wondering about an addition.
I was thinking of a shipping container, large shed or stick build man cave.
so any info would be great. :)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah yeah! fallowing
I have a RS 650P reef and was about to get a 90P for my 1st planted tank then....I was thinking about I should try to convince the other half for another large SW tank for a FOWLR.

so here I am debating between a planted FW and a large fish only such a hard one.
I need a man cave in fact every man should have one. its manly after all.

can you tell me more about this steel building? I was just looking in the yard and wondering about an addition.
I was thinking of a shipping container, large shed or stick build man cave.
so any info would be great. :)
It's a metal roof but traditional stick building then transported on site and installed.

Look at https://www.yoderswoodworksal.com/

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back