OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning towards two SOW 30 wavemakers from Jebao. I have never had a dud pump from them or one break down. I have dropped two and broke them though. DOH!

The only issue is they aren't meant for thick glass. I think I can use beefier magnets set in resin on the outside.

What are folks using for wavemakers on 1/2" or 3/4" glass? (the ends of the 625xxl are 1/2")

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This title on this thread always cracks me up: "Fish building man cave"... ;)
Although I find it odd, I'm actually really digging the pair of chairs you found. Reminds me of my grandparent's furniture back in the day. Definitely keep them!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the floating canopy filled, sanded and painted. I also figured out mounting for the lights in it's final iteration.

I got a red sea screen top kit that I will wait to assemble until the tank is setup and I got in drawer slides to copy the red sea controller slide out panel. Should get it built this weekend.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw photos of a tank yesterday of nearly identical dimensions to the 625xxl. This person had 4 prime 16hd and 2 kessil a160we and had gorgeous SPS and a few LPS on the sand.

I have two and two of those lights. I emailed the tank owner and asked if the photos were correct in the coloration and he said they looked just like in person. (shot in RAW mode and then slightly color corrected in PS)

I believe I am going to let my buddy buy back the a360we lights like he wants and get two more of the 16hd and go that route. That way, I am starting with all (basically) new lights.

I loaded up what I had last night and they fit easily in the canopy and have tons of room for adjustment and add more lights later if I need to. Plus, the coloration of his corals was beautiful. Not cartoonish at all but lots of color pop.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw photos of a tank yesterday of nearly identical dimensions to the 625xxl. This person had 4 prime 16hd and 2 kessil a160we and had gorgeous SPS and a few LPS on the sand.

I have two and two of those lights. I emailed the tank owner and asked if the photos were correct in the coloration and he said they looked just like in person. (shot in RAW mode and then slightly color corrected in PS)

I believe I am going to let my buddy buy back the a360we lights like he wants and get two more of the 16hd and go that route. That way, I am starting with all (basically) new lights.

I loaded up what I had last night and they fit easily in the canopy and have tons of room for adjustment and add more lights later if I need to. Plus, the coloration of his corals was beautiful. Not cartoonish at all but lots of color pop.

Always nice to see a tank under similar lights when deciding, might have missed it, how well is the canopy ventilated?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always nice to see a tank under similar lights when deciding, might have missed it, how well is the canopy ventilated?

except for a 5 cm wide cross brace at the top, completely open.

canopypainted.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the weekend, I cleaned up the sump and slid it into the cabinet for a test fit.

I also cleaned the return pump, skimmer, heaters and canister filter. Right now, with so few fish and such a low bioload, the 240 is running off of a canister filter and will get weekly 5-10% water changes.

This way, there is less to clean up and tear down when it gets sold.

This also allows me to go ahead and mock up plumbing on the 625xxl and order missing parts.

Here is the shameful before:

sump_dirty.jpg

Here it is mostly clean (I ordered magic erasers to give it a final cleaning later on):

sump_clean.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mocked up the plumbing last night. Was only short two 1.5" to 1" bushings so I ran to the local hardware store and got them.

I am going to make a white acrylic plate to cover the back set of holes in drain section of the sump to reduce splashing and some noise. This sump runs really quiet so it probably won't be any different. :) I will just template tape to the existing plate and use a flush trim bit on my small router to make it, then drill the holes for the nylon screws that hold it down.

I am not a fan of the brackets blocking the view of the sump, but, I needed to turn it around backward to get the drains on the correct side. Otherwise, I would have long horizontal runs of drain pipe to the other side.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowell Lemon I have acrylic question. (When don't I bug you about acrylic?) :)

I am building a special stand for a small cube tank. The sump will only be about 8"x15"x15". It is only going to house a nano skimmer, sock and a heater. Could 1/4" acrylic handle this?

I also thought about a canister filter with an inline heater and water changes. The way the stand will be built, I can't use an HOB filter and it would destroy the look anyway.

Thoughts?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowell Lemon I have acrylic question. (When don't I bug you about acrylic?) :)

I am building a special stand for a small cube tank. The sump will only be about 8"x15"x15". It is only going to house a nano skimmer, sock and a heater. Could 1/4" acrylic handle this?

I also thought about a canister filter with an inline heater and water changes. The way the stand will be built, I can't use an HOB filter and it would destroy the look anyway.

Thoughts?
I think that should be fine. I have a 40 gallon tank on a stand built out of 3/16" that is over 20 years old. The tank is supported along each edge and has a 3/8" solid top and bottom.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that should be fine. I have a 40 gallon tank on a stand built out of 3/16" that is over 20 years old. The tank is supported along each edge and has a 3/8" solid top and bottom.

Thanks bud. I will get the acrylic ordered and start on it soon. I have to build a top off container to fit the space as well.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The project is on hold for a couple weeks.

I have sold the 240 and am moving what livestock I have to a 75 temporarily by the end of the week.

I have to finish the bathroom in the next 12 days to be on track. It's completely gutted right now down to the studs and rafters. The new shower came in Saturday and the flooring, vanity, drywall and commode will be delivered this week some time. Yesterday, Sherry and I went and got the lumber for the stuff that has to be reframed. We will go tomorrow night and pick up all the plumbing parts and then it'll be on like donkey kong! LOL

Once the bathroom is to the point of paint, Sherry and her sister take over and I can get back on my projects.

Stay tuned!

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I forgot. Sherry and I came up with a fish list for the RS and the 36" cube last night.

RS 625xxl:

Add 2 more springeri damsel (will make 5)
Add 2 more barred dart gobies (will make 3)
Six line wrasse (have it)
yellow tang
flame tang (maybe sherry likes them)
pyramid butterfly
pair of storm trooper clowns (sherry's favorites)

36" cube:

7-10 Wyoming white clowns and some form of bubble tips
Engineer goby (already have)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I forgot. Sherry and I came up with a fish list for the RS and the 36" cube last night.

RS 625xxl:

Add 2 more springeri damsel (will make 5)
Add 2 more barred dart gobies (will make 3)
Six line wrasse (have it)
yellow tang
flame tang (maybe sherry likes them)
pyramid butterfly
pair of storm trooper clowns (sherry's favorites)

36" cube:

7-10 Wyoming white clowns and some form of bubble tips
Engineer goby (already have)

I love my engineer goby, about a foot now and makes me smile or chuckle every day, not a fish for anyone precious about their sandbed, the number of times I look at the tank and it's head is poked out of a hole in the scape watching me is unreal. :)

DSC_0194 (1024x683).jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back