Fish Depression?

BWV1056R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months prior I was quarantining a fox face and my friend's newly bought tomini tang which paired up right away.After a month both readily grazed on the nori sheet and ate whatever i put in the tank.
However, after my friend took his tomini back, both the fox face and tomini refused to eat for more than a week. (They both perished for some reason after)
So I was wondering have anyone else commited the same crime with the same tragedy?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few months prior I was quarantining a fox face and my friend's newly bought tomini tang which paired up right away.After a month both readily grazed on the nori sheet and ate whatever i put in the tank.
However, after my friend took his tomini back, both the fox face and tomini refused to eat for more than a week. (They both perished for some reason after)
So I was wondering have anyone else commited the same crime with the same tragedy?

I don't think fish have love-connections the way humans do. The Foxface and the Tang couldn't even have been mated pairs - they are two completely different species.

Assuming, hypothetically, they because best friends, I highly doubt their separation alone would have resulted in both fish dying as a result of their sadness. What were the parameters in QT and what were the parameters in both display tanks they ended up going to? They most likely had something and just passed when they were separated from the stress of the move.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BWV1056R

BWV1056R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters of the QT was
salinity 1.025
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5 ppm
and the parameters of my display was
salinity 1.025
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0 - 5 ppm
I couldn't get the parameters of my friend's tank though.
Thanks your reply, I guess it might be stress in a new environment and the unknown pathogen that caused their death then.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters of the QT was
salinity 1.025
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5 ppm
and the parameters of my display was
salinity 1.025
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0 - 5 ppm
I couldn't get the parameters of my friend's tank though.
Thanks your reply, I guess it might be stress in a new environment and the unknown pathogen that caused their death then.

Were you treating for any diseases or dosing anything to the water like Copper or were the fish just in holding?

OP
OP
BWV1056R

BWV1056R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish were just in holding didnt add copper due to not wanting it to get into my display tank.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish were just in holding didnt add copper due to not wanting it to get into my display tank.

You can hold your fish in QT for 10-years but if they are infected with a disease/parasite like ICH or Flukes in QT, they will continue to forever be infected unless you treat with copper. Flukes usually kills quickly, but you get the point.

They were most likely infected and the move triggered it and they both died. The problem is now that whatever they likely had, is also most likely in both your main display tanks.

OP
OP
BWV1056R

BWV1056R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I will keep your advice in mind in the future. I did do a hyposalinity treatment during quarantine so whatever it had survived that. Thankyou for taking your time to answer my question.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I will keep your advice in mind in the future. I did do a hyposalinity treatment during quarantine so whatever it had survived that. Thankyou for taking your time to answer my question.

I do hypo as well... what were you keeping your salinity throughout the month it was in QT?

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity throughout was 1.010

Ya that's around what I keep mine at also. I have gone as low as 1.008 but it was normally around 1.010.

Quick question, when using hypo, you need to bring the salinity up VERY slowly or the fish suffer osmotic shock. When I finished a round of hypo, I bring the salinity back up from 1.010 to 1.023 over the course of 2-3 weeks. Did you guys do a quick 1-2 hour drip and then introduce right into your tank? If so, the fish might have gone into osmotic shock.

Fish can go from 1.025 to 1.010 water instantly. They have no issues going down in salinity and can do so instantly. its going back up in salinity that should be done extremely slowly.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not experienced what you have described but have experienced what seemed/maybe/possibly to be one fish learning to feed from another in an aquarium.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was done in about 1.5 weeks was it too quickly?

Hmmmmm this is proving to be tricky. I wouldn't say that 1.5 weeks is quick. I do it slightly slower, but still they should have been fine over that time. I was referring to raising it back up over a day or two.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back