fish die after entering the DT.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK most of us have witnessed this so i want to ask the question since i have some pricey fish in qt.

in the past when i qt a fish for several weeks an get it eating, etc, then transfer it to the DT. Some have died within a few days after entering the DT with no signs of illness.... so

who else has exsperinced this and what is your method for a QT to DT transfer. To aid in controling the possible loss.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOOO I don't do a QT, haven't felt the need to. But, I was having the issue of introducing a new fish and it dying after a couple days as well. Until I started using an acclimation box. The first was a powder brown tang, died over the first night. The second was a flame angel. Died in two days. Then I got the box and I tried both species again and they are thriving almost two years later. They stayed in the acclimation box for three days. Maybe you can try that? Just spit balling.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start changing the water in the Quarantine Aquarium, using Saltwater from the Display Aquarium. Also during treatment I do the same. Medicate the replacement water, before adding it to the Quarantine Aquarium. Another thing I have done is fasten an Acrylic Mirror to the DT, to distract the Territorial fish, from attacking and bullying the new fish.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several things to watch for.

First, are the water parameters in DT same as in QT, particularly salinity and temperature.

Secondly, do you have aggressive fish in DT that may attack when you are not watching and after dark?

Thirdly, is the fish scared, either to #2, or lack of places to hide?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is likely - that there is a parasite - of some kind - in your DT. That other fish are not immune to. Thus - they succumb - whereas the fish in your tank have an immunity. This is actually common. And its the problem with adding QT'd fish - to an established non QT'd tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK most of us have witnessed this so i want to ask the question since i have some pricey fish in qt.

in the past when i qt a fish for several weeks an get it eating, etc, then transfer it to the DT. Some have died within a few days after entering the DT with no signs of illness.... so

who else has exsperinced this and what is your method for a QT to DT transfer. To aid in controling the possible loss.
You have to be sure (addendum) - that the DT does not contain pathogens. If they do - any new fish you add are at risk.....

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure about unknown pathagens... but my counter to that is this---- if there was a pathegen in the DT why would some fish survie and some do not seems like it would kill all who enter. for example i have had a 10" engineer goby, a 4" fugi fox , a blue damsel 1" and a 2" 6 bar wrasse outlast everyone who enters my 220 DT. i find that interesting and points me to hardness of a breed.

when i first starting watching this i started running copper power in my 220 fowler for several months to aid in a unknown pathogens. i dont know what to do if it happens again

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
im not sure about unknown pathagens... but my counter to that is this---- if there was a pathegen in the DT why would some fish survie and some do not seems like it would kill all who enter. for example i have had a 10" engineer goby, a 4" fugi fox , a blue damsel 1" and a 2" 6 bar wrasse outlast everyone who enters my 220 DT. i find that interesting and points me to hardness of a breed.

when i first starting watching this i started running copper power in my 220 fowler for several months to aid in a unknown pathogens. i dont know what to do if it happens again
Because certain types of fish are much more naturally immune to certain parasites.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back