Fish disappeared

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my five gallon saltwater aquarium my occelaris clown fish disappeared hours ago I saw him this morning but the same thing happened to my war paint clown goby 2 days ago

what do you think is the reason I know for a fact the fish didn’t jump

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough info...

tank cycled?

disease?

how long did you have the fish? any odd signs of illness? were they eating?

5g is pretty small for a clown (at least once it becomes an adult).

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only two places it can be...in the tank or out of it. If you are sure it didnt jump, then it must be under or behind the rock work. Maybe pulled a nemo and went into the overflow? I had fish that LOVED going into the overflow.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually quite common, I have had fish mysteriously disappear on me lots of times since I have been fishkeeping (about 40 years now). That is a small tank for that to happen, and you haven't given any information on what is in there in terms of decoration, other inhabitants, substrate, plumbing. Possible culprits include:

1. It died, as did your goby, and you your cucs cleaned them up.
2. They are super good at hiding. I have not seen fish for weeks, and then they appear. The can go under rocks, decorations, etc. Although, again, 5 gallons do not afford a lot of hiding places.
3. You have a murderer that ate them. Pistol shrimp or something. Then the cuc ate the remains. Little skull is in gravel.
4. It is in your plumbing somewhere. Tubing, reservoir, sump, etc.
5. It did jump. When fish dry out they get quite small and are hard to find sometimes.
6. It found Harry Potter's Cloak of Invisibility and is still in there.

OP
OP
I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I the tank is cycled I have had it since last summer I weird thing is I saw the clown fish this morning then I went surfing and it was gone my tank doesn’t have many hiding spots it only has 2 rocks. The clown fish was probably half and inch or 1 inch. I do have a pistol shrimp and a hi fin goby so it could’ve been that

OP
OP
I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here was my tank yesterday ( the green clown goby had already disappeared)

Attachments

• D96EB631-BA7E-4236-94F5-A6D3B8DCAB98.jpeg
    D96EB631-BA7E-4236-94F5-A6D3B8DCAB98.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 70

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
5 gallon isn’t too big to move around rock and find it.

do you have cats that would eat it off the floor if it jumped ?

CUC maybe took care of it

OP
OP
I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually quite common, I have had fish mysteriously disappear on me lots of times since I have been fishkeeping (about 40 years now). That is a small tank for that to happen, and you haven't given any information on what is in there in terms of decoration, other inhabitants, substrate, plumbing. Possible culprits include:

1. It died, as did your goby, and you your cucs cleaned them up.
2. They are super good at hiding. I have not seen fish for weeks, and then they appear. The can go under rocks, decorations, etc. Although, again, 5 gallons do not afford a lot of hiding places.
3. You have a murderer that ate them. Pistol shrimp or something. Then the cuc ate the remains. Little skull is in gravel.
4. It is in your plumbing somewhere. Tubing, reservoir, sump, etc.
5. It did jump. When fish dry out they get quite small and are hard to find sometimes.
6. It found Harry Potter's Cloak of Invisibility and is still in there.
Other inhabitants red fire fish going to be transferred to a 90 gallon soon cleaner shrimp hi fin goby with pistol shrimp 6-10 corals biggest is a frogspawn. Sand substrate 2 rocks

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I the tank is cycled I have had it since last summer I weird thing is I saw the clown fish this morning then I went surfing and it was gone my tank doesn’t have many hiding spots it only has 2 rocks. The clown fish was probably half and inch or 1 inch. I do have a pistol shrimp and a hi fin goby so it could’ve been that
Just for future reference, three fish and a shrimp is way, way too much for a five gallon. Even one fish is pushing it. I wouldn’t add anymore and just keep the high fin.

OP
OP
I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya ik I got the fire fish so my lfs wouldn’t sell out before my dads 90 gallon. Was getting set up but that has been delayed twice. And the clown fish wasn’t to big neither is the shrimp
Just for future reference, three fish and a shrimp is way, way too much for a five gallon. Even one fish is pushing it. I wouldn’t add anymore and just keep the high fin.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Check your overflow and sump. Often , they end up there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... it is a tiny tank with a lot of fish... they got no where to go or swim but out...

If they were healthy and easting as they appear to be... they probably jumped looking for a bigger ocean.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't find it in the tank, one of those cats had a nice treat! Too many fish in the tank, they got spooked and jumped.
cat fish GIF by MochiDad

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty expensive cat treats.

Like the others, I have to add a standard issue "tang police" comment. Not cool. The captive bred clowns, I honestly don't care about them. The clown goby and the fire fish are collected from a wild reef. If you want ONE clown goby in a 5 gallon tank, fine, but that's really it. This is the kind of thing that makes the hobby look bad.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... it is a tiny tank with a lot of fish... they got no where to go or swim but out...

If they were healthy and easting as they appear to be... they probably jumped looking for a bigger ocean.
Yup... the perfect opportunity to upgrade to 10 gallon or 20 for OP if this is the stock list....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back