OP
I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I know the tank is a little over stocked but everything was supposed to go in the 90 gallon but it got delayed twice the only thing in the 5 gallon that was supposed to stay was the clown fish which was half and inch so don’t go to much stock police on me

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually quite common, I have had fish mysteriously disappear on me lots of times since I have been fishkeeping (about 40 years now). That is a small tank for that to happen, and you haven't given any information on what is in there in terms of decoration, other inhabitants, substrate, plumbing. Possible culprits include:

1. It died, as did your goby, and you your cucs cleaned them up.
2. They are super good at hiding. I have not seen fish for weeks, and then they appear. The can go under rocks, decorations, etc. Although, again, 5 gallons do not afford a lot of hiding places.
3. You have a murderer that ate them. Pistol shrimp or something. Then the cuc ate the remains. Little skull is in gravel.
4. It is in your plumbing somewhere. Tubing, reservoir, sump, etc.
5. It did jump. When fish dry out they get quite small and are hard to find sometimes.
6. It found Harry Potter's Cloak of Invisibility and is still in there.
The last one is what I'm thinking.

Nice find.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have 2 black cats. They have been near the tank but that was yesterday
I guess the question I have..how big is your house? Is it big enough for two cats?!?!

Thinking Think GIF by The official GIPHY Page for Davis Schulz

Yes, i am openly mocking people for lecturing you about your tank size and inhabitants.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It the lid does not cover 100% it is not a lid as I have seen clowns somehow get thru a 1/2" small gap and ended up on top of the cover. They must be able to see the gap and they sure can jump.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cut out on my "lid" that technically a fish can get through but they have to do a super crazy houdini jump to land on my lid..... I was sitting in the living room watching TV about a month ago and decided to walk over to the tank. One of the clowns had made this crazy nearly impossible houdini jump and was on the top of the lid. He had obviously just jumped so I tossed him back in. ...... if there is any openings on a "lid" they will jump out. I got lucky. I think yours became a cat snack after a miracle jump. Clowns aren't known jumpers but anything will jump if spooked or playing too hard with other fish.

OP
OP
I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I see that. Also my LFS told me I could have 4 less than I inch fish in the tank ?? Not a good recommendation

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I see that. Also my LFS told me I could have 4 less than I inch fish in the tank ?? Not a good recommendation
Don’t lose sleep over it. You in theory can if you deal with cohabitation, territory, nutrients, eat. People chasing rules of thumb are just espousing what they learned and how they learned it. Granted your lfs has a motive of selling you more fish, but you can pack a couple extra fish in your tank WITH CAUTION. If you see aggression, missing fish..oh wait….

OP
OP
I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

I WANT CLOWN GOBIES

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably won’t add anything more to the tank but maybe a small neon cleaner goby to help with the algae

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably won’t add anything more to the tank but maybe a small neon cleaner goby to help with the algae

Assuming you mean neon gobies... they do not eat algae but they do stay small.

I am not trying to be mean... I just state the facts. Not going to lie/sugar coat things like a LFS. Fish have pretty long life spans and get territorial with age.

I have a 5g I set up recently (for nano reef pico contest). Not sure what I will put in it yet... might just do cool inverts like sexy shrimp and blue boxer crab. If I do fish I was thinking green banded goby or a two spot blenny as those are pretty tiny fish with BIG personalities.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small group of these (with a tight fitting lid) would be cool...

Check out how stupid colorful they can be when happy...

neonpygmygoby1.jpg

or since you were asking about an algae eater.. (avoid wild caught ones as they don't always take prepared/do well).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back