Fish eggs need ID

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife and I dont agree on whos eggs these are. Regal damsel or maroon clown? These are the best pics I can get. The fish have cleared the bottom of substrate.

FE690855-D5B7-4B00-BD05-860178976180.jpeg 868BB649-186B-4913-9B06-CC33DBC54995.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish around the eggs?
As what I read from cliwnfish is I think the male guards the eggs and keeps wafting them to oxygenated them and keep them good or something.
Other than to say if a fish is near them guarding them then that's probably who's it is,I have nothing sorry

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish around the eggs?
As what I read from cliwnfish is I think the male guards the eggs and keeps wafting them to oxygenated them and keep them good or something.
Other than to say if a fish is near them guarding them then that's probably who's it is,I have nothing sorry
Yeah, the males of both of these species are known to guard and care for the eggs (the Regal Damsel will even keep their mate away from the eggs, apparently), so you should be able to figure out which species by which one guards the eggs.

OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish around the eggs?
Well thats the problem lol. I wasnt aware there was eggs there and used my long tongs to push sand back in the area. The regal damsel was flipping out. As well as the female clown. The female clown has always been aggressive especially since I put anemones in there. Well about 3 weeks ago one anemone went completely missing. Even today no sign of it. Last saturday I noticed my other anemone is completely gone as well. Then the pregnant signs started showing. So back to guarding the rock. You have a regal damsel on the right side and the clown fish on the left side. So no clue lol

OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the males of both of these species are known to guard and care for the eggs (the Regal Damsel will even keep their mate away from the eggs, apparently), so you should be able to figure out which species by which one guards the eggs.
I couldnt reply to both so I wrote all needed info in a reply to him.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thats the problem lol. I wasnt aware there was eggs there and used my long tongs to push sand back in the area. The regal damsel was flipping out. As well as the female clown. The female clown has always been aggressive especially since I put anemones in there. Well about 3 weeks ago one anemone went completely missing. Even today no sign of it. Last saturday I noticed my other anemone is completely gone as well. Then the pregnant signs started showing. So back to guarding the rock. You have a regal damsel on the right side and the clown fish on the left side. So no clue lol
So, with the regal damsel, the male will show a number of courtship behaviors two days prior to spawning: the male's back (dorsal side) will change color, he will engage in "vertical dives, violent swimming motions and clinging to the bottom of the rearing tank." Again, this starts two days before the actual spawning takes place, so there's a good chance you may have seen some of these behaviors in action. Additionally, the male will clear the clutch site (where they lay the eggs) the day before the spawning takes place.
If you didn't notice any of those behaviors (and you didn't notice either of the clowns cleaning the nest site, engaging in courtship behaviors, defending the nest, or tending to the eggs), then, guessing strictly based on clutch size (assuming it's a first time spawn) and the apparent lack of anemones in the area, I would guess that those are Regal Damsel eggs.

That said, if the eggs are fertile and you know approximately when they were laid, you should be able to figure out what species laid them by when they hatch. Maroon clown eggs should hatch approximately 120-150 hours after laying*, while regal damsel eggs should hatch approximately 96 hours after laying (see the link referenced above).
* https://koreascience-kr.translate.g...tr_sl=ko&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldnt reply to both so I wrote all needed info in a reply to him.
Yeah, it's a bit of an odd setup that way. You can only "Reply" to one user, but you can click the "+Quote" button then click the "" Insert Quotes..." button down by the box you type in to essentially reply to others as well (or you can just add multiple quotes at once). That still notifies people that you're quoting them in the thread, so, for all intents and purposes, it serves the same purpose.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back