Fish for 10g nano reef?

Joshua2598

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to plug the Pygmy geometric hawkfish because I have one and love her and don’t see her in many nano tanks or really tanks in general. She is a great presence in the aquarium and totally adorable as she perches and occasionally flutters around the tank. While I’ve seen people say these fish hide a lot to the
Point of disappearing in the tank, in my small tank she is almost always visible. (She hid a lot in week 1 but no longer). The one down side is she spends less time swimming than a damsel or wrasse and unlike some
Gobies and blennies doesn’t help with eating algae. But a great fish that I think is overlooked .
I've been eyeing those for a while actually. Any tips on feeding and such?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen Mysis and brine 2x a day. I haven’t tried hard to get her on pellets or flakes yet. My guess is flakes would be better because she will take food from the water and even the surface sometimes but I’ve never seen her eat from the substrate or rock. I think once a day feeding would be fine too but I prefer to feed twice a day

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fish I never heard of until an LFS got a few in is a white tiger goby.
It hides a lot in our 75 except at feeding time but in a 10 gallon it would always be visible.

Max 2 inches.

Likes to hang upside down on an overhang.

Some interesting aquascaping and a beautiful cool fish.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of yasha gobies, Swales swissguard basslet, and a royal gramma. The sealed and the gramma could fight in a tank that small though. I have both together in a 40g without issues.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best fish for a 10 gallon standard nano reef? Reef as in it will have corals. 40% weekly water changes with a ton of algae scrubbing and siphoning.

My substrate is crushed coral live. I do have pods in the tank, but I don't think enough for a blenny or something that feeds off pods. When I did have a scooter blenny, it did like to burrow in my small sand at night, so crushed corals would do one no justice.

I will also be adding a peppermint shrimp.. I was thinking of a clown pair, but I already have one in my 29g FOWLR with a banggai.

Any ideas? Thanks!

10 gallons is too small for a pair of even Occ Clowns long term IMHO. Captive bred specimens can be pretty active. My Snowflake Occ used every bit of my 36 gallon bowfront and he was only 2 inches at most. Here are the recommendations for 10 gallon tanks:

Small Gobies
Firefish
Possum Wrasses

If you want something similar to a clownfish for your tank, you could go with a Clown Goby (although I would give SPS Corals a miss in that tank) as they form a somewhat similar relationship with LPS Corals that Clownfish do with a 'nem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back