Fish hiding in live rock, stuck?

Saul T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my royal gramma may be sick or stuck in the live rock, if that’s possible.

I saw his tail yesterday sticking out of a hole, but today no sign. He usually comes out for feeding but was a no show yesterday. He was swimming vertical the other day. I did a water change the day before he started hiding.

Obviously want to avoid harming any other fish, but should I try to get in there and find him or just leave him be?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is the fish? What are your Parameters? Do you have other fish in the tank? Did you quarantine it? Did the fish have any other symptoms? Generally speaking it's not that helpful to try to find a fish - However, If you have a small tank - and you're worried about the possibility that it could mess up your parameters if it dies, I would consider trying to remove it if you don't see it for a couple days. Could it be being chased by another fish - Check at different times in the day. Hope this helps - and hope he pops out!

OP
OP
Saul T

Saul T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @MnFish1! I’m not sure how old he is as I got him at the pet store. But was fine for about a month. There are two other fish in the tank a clownfish and cardinal, they all get along well (what I’ve seen at least ;)

Parameters are all within acceptable range, I have no coral so I just test basic attributes.

The only other thing that happened is the vertical swimming a day after water change, and of course the hiding. But may be unrelated? I’ll update if he pops out

OP
OP
Saul T

Saul T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How difficult would it be to get out of the tank? Have you checked to make sure it didn't jump - or somehow get into the filter, it is possible due to an opening in my lid. Luckily I didn’t find him outside. I did see his tail in the live rock yesterday and I still believe he’s there.
It’s possible he could jump through a hole in my lid, but luckily I didn’t find him outside.
I saw his tail yesterday, so I think he’s still in a live rock.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hours do you have the light on in the tank? It might be trying to get some shut eye?

OP
OP
Saul T

Saul T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the light has been off. If he is dead I need to get him out of that live rock so the others aren’t affected. Sucks. How long should I wait?

OP
OP
Saul T

Saul T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to overreact, like if hes just hanging out or needs alone time (if that’s a thing). But it’s unusual based on past behavior.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to overreact, like if hes just hanging out or needs alone time (if that’s a thing). But it’s unusual based on past behavior.
That vertical swimming could be a clue - it can be normal for this species (they like to follow surfaces, so it could have just been hugging the tank wall) but it also could have been a sign of stress called “piping”. Did you happen to notice if it was breathing fast when it was swimming vertically?

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try to take it out

OP
OP
Saul T

Saul T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested all parameters and it still seems good. I didn’t notice it breathing hard, I should have looked closer. I guess I should get in there and lift up live rock and see what happens. If he’s still alive I’ll give a description… thanks for all the support and advice!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just tested all parameters and it still seems good. I didn’t notice it breathing hard, I should have looked closer. I guess I should get in there and lift up live rock and see what happens. If he’s still alive I’ll give a description… thanks for all the support and advice!
Agreed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back