Fish ID help. Fish found in sump, never seen before

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think we all agree on that. Now we are more arguing how it got there and age
Yeah, It could have somehow squeezed through a gap (That is if it was thin and small) in the weir. I have had fish manage to find their way down to the sun (My most recent was my Naoko fairy wrasse down the back of my Red Sea Max Nano. Never again will I stop watching my wrasses during a water change).

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2020/03/06/ora-tests-the-waters-of-commercial-anthias-breeding/

that is a baby lyretail anthias. So we can’t go based on coloration anymore
I saw that article; as of a year ago they’d only managed to produce 12 in a batch and they’re expert commercial breeders. Haven’t found a single source yet selling ORA or any captive bread lyretail. So to me this evidence makes it less likely to accidentally raise a lyretail fry, but by no means is it impossible. It does seem less likely that it actually hatched in the tank though given that the lyretails didn’t do well and all died off as @Jdadams pointed out. But it certainly could have come in small enough not to be noticed. On the flip side with 7 lyretails in the mix, 1 spawning event in the months they were in there isn’t impossible either.

In any case this definitely looks small and immature; it has some color but isn’t developed and I can’t find a picture online with the line behind the eye being so faint/underdeveloped.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Baby lyretail which are excellent hiders as are firefish

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DEE0B296-0AF6-4339-BC24-849FFBB518BB.jpeg

This is what I’m seeing. It looks like it’s developing the line behind the eye prominent on lyretails and some other anthias as well.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DEE0B296-0AF6-4339-BC24-849FFBB518BB.jpeg

This is what I’m seeing. It looks like it’s developing the line behind the eye prominent on lyretails and some other anthias as well.
That’s what I was meaning when I said markings on my above post

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has a body shape and the yellow/purple color remind me more of a very small Bartlett's Anthias. Barletts can get a bit of a pink/purple line under/behind the eye as well, easier to see in person. I've seen small (1") females at the LFS more than once that look almost identical to this especially faded out in a bare bottom store system with nowhere to hide.

Couple juvenile bartletts photos off google. Fish in these pics are roughly 1.5-1.75" in length. So a smaller fish will not have as bright of color. You can also see the stripe behind the eye pretty clearly on the first fish.

bartlett-s-anthias-pseudanthias-bartlettorum-bartlett-s-fairy-anthias-10.jpg bart.jpg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 53 74.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back