Fish in transport ALL DAY! Do they have a chance?

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good luck, I hate this waiting when things don't arrive on time or shipments don't show, hope things turn out ok, not sure where your located so not sure if cold temps will impact it, I have had 2 shipments in the last 3 weeks screwed up, one because UPS delivered to wrong house and sat out in 35 degree temp for 3 hours and the last one delayed by the blizzard of 2017, whole weekend sitting in the cities.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, at the risk of hijacking your thread further I want to address something.

There is typically nothing wrong with drip acclimation and I hope people reading this don't get that impression. If I am going to pick up a fish from my LFS, especially if it is an impulse buy and my QT isn't set to the right salinity, I do drip acclimate. Some species of fish and inverts will do best if they are drip acclimated.
If fish are shipped, drip acclimation may still be a great solution. You need to make sure that there are no medicines like copper in the shipping water so you don't get an adverse reaction from adding an ammonia neutralizer like Prime.

So please, for those reading this, we are addressing this specific situation. For most fish and situations what we are recommending is just fine. But then again, so is drip acclimating. In some cases drip acclimating is going to be the only good solution. Understanding the pro's and con's of each method will help you make an informed decision for what is best in your specific situation.

Ok, thanks Rev, I'm done.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish literally showed up after last post. Temp of the bags were almost identical to the tanks. Heat packs were saving the day!

Only two small fish DOA.

More later!

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like I might lose a firefish but so far so good. The tangs all look good. The Achilles won't even hide! He's already bold! Lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I might lose a firefish but so far so good. The tangs all look good. The Achilles won't even hide! He's already bold! Lol
Makes me sad that you have lost 2 fish and look like you will lose another. All things considered if you can save 29 of the 32 after the shipping errors I would say that you did a great job!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Makes me sad that you have lost 2 fish and look like you will lose another. All things considered if you can save 29 of the 32 after the shipping errors I would say that you did a great job!

Honestly losing money is bad but knowing fish died is the worst. :(

Most of the fish are small. Even the tangs are medium sized. The QT space is plenty. I was worried! One tank has about 13 in it because they are very little!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, at the risk of hijacking your thread further I want to address something.

There is typically nothing wrong with drip acclimation and I hope people reading this don't get that impression. If I am going to pick up a fish from my LFS, especially if it is an impulse buy and my QT isn't set to the right salinity, I do drip acclimate. Some species of fish and inverts will do best if they are drip acclimated.
If fish are shipped, drip acclimation may still be a great solution. You need to make sure that there are no medicines like copper in the shipping water so you don't get an adverse reaction from adding an ammonia neutralizer like Prime.

So please, for those reading this, we are addressing this specific situation. For most fish and situations what we are recommending is just fine. But then again, so is drip acclimating. In some cases drip acclimating is going to be the only good solution. Understanding the pro's and con's of each method will help you make an informed decision for what is best in your specific situation.

Ok, thanks Rev, I'm done.

Agreed. We are talking about shipped fish....not just ones that are late but any shipped fish IMO. Fish bought locally can be drip acclimated without much risk although I've had such good luck with salinity match and temp acclimation only that I often don't do it unless there is a significant salinty difference (low in the bag to higher in the QT)

MicroPico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck Rev, on your endeavour. I was wondering about the amount of fish and the ability of the QT to handle the sudden influx of ammonia from the addition of so many fish at once. Hopefully your bacteria is able to handle the overtime.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took a peak this morning and all the fish seem to be doing great. Ammonia badges good so far. I'm ready for water changes when needed!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Took a peak this morning and all the fish seem to be doing great. Ammonia badges good so far. I'm ready for water changes when needed!
Awesome!!

We'd love to see some pics... (not so subtle hint)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Went ahead and got most of my tangs. Already have a yellow belly regal so I added these:

Fowleri
Convict
Achilles
Blonde Naso
Clown Tang (yes I know and picked out a little one)

The next biggest fish I bought was a Flame Hawk. Lol! Everything else include dart fish, anthias, cardinals, goby etc.

I will be putting together a wrasse plan for the best order.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back