Fish keep dying in my aquarium

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am wondering if I can get some help and understanding what is going on with my fish tank. My frogfish died out of nowhere.(I had him for 3 months) His tail turned white and the same day he died also with labored breathing. I waited a month and put another frogfish in and he died to the same exact thing his tail turned white and he started breathing hard and died. I am scared to put anymore fish in my tank and I do not know what's happening. Also before you ask, I have tested my parameters and found nothing wrong there. Also I noticed that when they died their tales were like sliced up and rotten. I'm posting a picture to show what his tail looked like before he died, it almost looks like slime on his tail.

IMG_2311.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any other fish? How are they doing? How do you feed your frog fish?
No fish in it right now just corals and snails. I was feeding my frogfish like 4 shimp every 2 days

OP
OP
R

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acclimating?
Float 15 minutes, then take half of water out and then I put new water in. Then float 10 minutes and take more water out and put more new water in. Float for 5 minutes and release.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a Fish Medic, but symptoms and picture indicate some parasitic disease, possibly velvet?
Hopefully one of fish medics will help you.
I guess you didn't quarantine either of your fish?
If it was a parasitic infection, you need to keep tank fallow for some time, depending what parasite it was. Clearly one month was not enough. Were fish from the same source?

OP
OP
R

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a Fish Medic, but symptoms and picture indicate some parasitic disease, possibly velvet?
Hopefully one of fish medics will help you.
I guess you didn't quarantine either of your fish?
If it was a parasitic infection, you need to keep tank fallow for some time, depending what parasite it was. Clearly one month was not enough. Were fish from the same source?
Yeah same source I had the fish quarantined at the fish store.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they treat them profilactically with any medications, most fish store ( certainly ones in my vicinity) don't do that and frequently ( but not always) they have same connected aquarium system, so disease can spread easily.

OP
OP
R

Rodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they treat them profilactically with any medications, most fish store ( certainly ones in my vicinity) don't do that and frequently ( but not always) they have same connected aquarium system, so disease can spread easily.
He purposefully held it for 3 weeks for me I mean its possible but I doubt it. I believe there is a disease in my tank just not sure what because my first frogfish was doing fine for 3 months, but then got sick quick. I put the new frogfish and he died in a week.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frogfish are tough to diagnose, their skin makes diseases look different than in other fish. Also, frogfish are pretty delicate and prone to bacterial diseases. It is possible that the disease that killed the first frogfish/anglerfish was still in the tank a month later. Generally, the absolute minimum clearing time for most diseases is 45 days, but 60 days is much safer, and some people wait 75 days.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back