Fish recommendations for a 20 gallon tank with two clownfish

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon tank with two clownfish. I lost my firefish and tailspin blenny over the weekend due to the temp on my tank hitting 95°. I just purchased another firefish and she jumped out of the tank thereby committing suicide today. That’s my third firefish (the first one the tailspot Benny killed). Could you guys recommend some fish that would work with the clownfish other than the tailspot blenny and firefish?

Would a neon goby and blue Chromis work or, perhabs instead of the Chromis, a yellow clown goby?

Last edited:

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the temp issue losses, that sucks

obligatory mention that i'd recommend a screen top as all fish jump, especially small timid fish like gobies and firefish. my female clown has jumped out of my tank 3 times (overflow twice after being thwarted by screen top) for example

is the tank new? are the clowns peaceful? the longer they're in there the more territorial they'll probably get. they should leave all of those fish alone, but might eventually get aggressive. i'm assuming you have ocellaris clowns

OP
OP
SinkyShippy

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the temp issue losses, that sucks

obligatory mention that i'd recommend a screen top as all fish jump, especially small timid fish like gobies and firefish. my female clown has jumped out of my tank 3 times (overflow twice after being thwarted by screen top) for example

is the tank new? are the clowns peaceful? the longer they're in there the more territorial they'll probably get. they should leave all of those fish alone, but might eventually get aggressive. i'm assuming you have ocellaris clowns

I have ocellaris clowns. My female one has actually gotten really aggressive toward the male one since the other fish passed. Not sure what to do now. The male is very peaceful. I just put her in the acclimation box to get her away from the male.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ocellaris clowns. My female one has actually gotten really aggressive toward the male one since the other fish passed. Not sure what to do now. The male is very peaceful. I just put her in the acclimation box to get her away from the male.

hmm not sure on that one. seems this happens from time to time and people resolve it in odd ways (acclimation box, sump one, divider in the tank for awhile, add other fish, etc) other times people have to just separate the clowns. maybe she's blaming him for the temp issues?

idk, my advice would be to resolve the clown issue and make a screen top (trust me i suck at DIY and it wasn't hard) and then figure out what fish you like. i know i lost a few fish early on and i kinda felt like i already tried those and there are so many options. and if the clowns are aggressive you might want to add some tougher fish

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try another goby see if you can make some more caves in your scape so they have bolt holes to hide in. Might prefer those to jumping out?
I think a territorial clown might have an issue with a clown goby sitting on the rock next to them staring? Tail spot blenny perches too I think?
Never owned a clown goby or a tail spot, but looking at fire fish now.
My 2 be clowns are aggressive with everything I've added to the tank including corals, rocks, snails, powerhead.. They even try host aggressively lol. I've had to fool them every time by rescaping their "territory". Had the same scape for a month now and don't wanna change it anymore but it did save my gorgonian imo.. They went to a rock instead.

Ultimately, in the same position. Just a different pov I guess..

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could try an orange stripe or orange spot goby and pistol shrimp.
Pink-streaked wrasse or one of the possum wrasses.
Clown goby definitely, although I'd suggest the green clown goby instead; more interesting markings.
Or a Panda clown goby if you can find one.
Rainford's goby is a beautiful fish; need some hair algae in the tank for it to thrive.

Fishface1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 Ocellaris in my 29 with a Banggai Cardinal, purple Firefish and a bicolor Blenny. The female clown was pretty aggressive with crabs, shrimp and snails but left the other fish alone.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be foolish to add gobies or wrasses without a top.

Any fish can jump but maybe try a Royal Gramma and a more peaceful damsel like a Springer's. These guys are not as jumpy as gobies/wraase/blennies and can put up with bully clownfish.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the Blue Green Chromis fish. Nothing but trouble later.

I highly recommend they Neon Goby you suggested.
Small, but eye catching, entertaining. A pair is possible, but if not a pair (they will chase each other).
It's Cleaner fish, and will take rides on other fish. Even goes on my arm if I reach into tank.

Like other poster said above, get a top tank net to avoid disappointment of loosing fish (even a fish that isn't a jumper will one day decide to jump out. Especially in a not so deep tank like yours).

Also when you install the net top, you can consider another Fire Goby. I have a pair of Purple Fire Fish, and my absolutely favourite fish of all time is my SINGLE Helfrichi Firefish. (Not in same tank as the purple pair).

Whatever fish you decided on adding next, make sure your setup has plenty of nooks, crannies, caves and if possible separate islands, so each has their own territorial home, and place to retreat.

Be sure to solve your Temp issues so that it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back