Fish recommendations for Fluval 13.5? More gobies?

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm looking for one or two fish recommendations for my Fluval 13.5.

Current stock is:
1 small mocha misbar clownfish
1 Hector's goby
1 peppermint shrimp
1 hermit crab
various softies and LPS (eventually adding a few SPS)

Whatever the fish they need to be reef-safe and preferably comfortable with a clownfish that doesn't understand personal space (the clown really likes to try to school, and thankfully the goby is super chill with him). I previously had a tailspot blenny, but he just decided to stop eating one day and wasted away, so I'm a bit hesitant on adding another blenny unless they are known to be hearty eaters.

I've been thinking about maybe another goby, such as a neon, court jester, or firefish, but I'm concerned about species aggression with the Hector's goby. I'm totally up for a green clown goby, but they are very hard to find in my area (Ontario, Canada).

OP
OP
Petrichor

Petrichor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for a 13.5g that is enough fish…. Not much space and hard to keep the water quality up.
I've seen quite a few builds with 3-4 fish plus shrimp in similar sized tanks, so I figure one small third fish won't be pushing the bioload. I have probably 20+ lbs of live rock and media as well (my entire skimmer section is filled with media from my old 24 gallon), and do weekly maintenance so I am not worried about water quality, but thanks for the concern.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon would be fun. I like those fish. A watchman pistol shrimp combo would also be fun.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green clown goby or yellow clown goby is your best bet

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no suggestion but I will be getting a pair of clowns and a flame hawk. I thinking I am pushing it but if the hawk is too cramp, I will rehome him. Just always wanted one.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%

Back