Fish Recommendations Please

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get some fish recommendations for my mixed reef tank?

It's a 40 gallon breeder and in addition to corals, a BTA, and my sweet CUC, it's home to two clowns who are hosted by the bottom corner of my tank , an Orchid dottyback who almost never leaves her cave, and a yellow watchman goby who has decided to hide between two rocks for the rest of his life.

I added a pair of Banggai cardinalfish Thursday, noticed they looked a little iffy and transferred them to an isolation tank, and they were dead by morning. They were my most anticipated addition, and I'm super bummed that they didn't arrive healthy. I don't think I want to get another pair now.

I would love to add 1-2 fish that will actually swim around the tank but who won't bully the other inhabitants or eat my corals. Any recommendations?

Bonus if you have an online fish seller that you love. I don't have any good LFS nearby, and I'm kind of a hermit anyway.

00854619-7F5E-4D14-8FA6-DE29F7E6936A.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get some fish recommendations for my mixed reef tank?

It's a 40 gallon breeder and in addition to corals, a BTA, and my sweet CUC, it's home to two clowns who are hosted by the bottom corner of my tank , an Orchid dottyback who almost never leaves her cave, and a yellow watchman goby who has decided to hide between two rocks for the rest of his life.

I added a pair of Banggai cardinalfish Thursday, noticed they looked a little iffy and transferred them to an isolation tank, and they were dead by morning. They were my most anticipated addition, and I'm super bummed that they didn't arrive healthy. I don't think I want to get another pair now.

I would love to add 1-2 fish that will actually swim around the tank but who won't bully the other inhabitants or eat my corals. Any recommendations?

Bonus if you have an online fish seller that you love. I don't have any good LFS nearby, and I'm kind of a hermit anyway.

00854619-7F5E-4D14-8FA6-DE29F7E6936A.jpeg
What are the tank dimensions?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanaurus wrasse, probably butchered the spelling. Always swimming around and very colorful but can be a little bit on the bully side. Not bad enough to cause problems though. I have one with a clown, fire fish, diamond goby, and a mandarin. They all do good together. I always always use TSM Aquatics. By far healthiest fish I've ever got from anywhere.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Damsels. They are usually out and about.

Talbot's Damsels
Yellow Tail Blue,
Bi-color

Those have all been very peaceful in my 55g tank.

I would stay away from Dominoes and 3 or 4 stripes.. they can get quite aggressive as they grow larger.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably can’t go wrong with a firefish or maybe a chromis or one of the peaceful damsels.
I was looking at chromis, damsels, and wrasses last week. As chromis go, I need to have a good, odd handful, don't I?

I’m voting for a pair of citron or green clown gobies @Paul B just beat me to the suggestion with the green clown, lol, a Midas or tailspot blenny will add character too
The green clown goby looks rad, but is it going to lay around on the sand all day?
1632101250570.png

+1 on Damsels. They are usually out and about.

Talbot's Damsels
Yellow Tail Blue,
Bi-color

Those have all been very peaceful in my 55g tank.

I would stay away from Dominoes and 3 or 4 stripes.. they can get quite aggressive as they grow larger.
I'll have to see what varieties I can find available. Are they better solo, paired, or with a few?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanaurus wrasse, probably butchered the spelling. Always swimming around and very colorful but can be a little bit on the bully side. Not bad enough to cause problems though. I have one with a clown, fire fish, diamond goby, and a mandarin. They all do good together. I always always use TSM Aquatics. By far healthiest fish I've ever got from anywhere.
Thank you for the recommendation -- I'll have to check TSM Aquatics out! :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus or 6 line wrasse. I added a six line early and no flatworm problems.
Tailspot blenny is a character and herbivore. Rainsford goby always out and about.

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote for flasher wrasse, super intelligent, active and colorful, I don't know if I would do more than 1 since my two bicker on and off and cover 4 feet in a blink.

Midas blenny is also awesome, but I hear of aggression in a small tank... And I could see that as mine approaches other fish by his rock and stares into their souls.
20210912_144456.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor blenny (Ecsenius bicolor) is one of the standards; colorful, a lot of "personality" and easy to take care of.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green clown goby looks rad, but is it going to lay around on the sand all day?
My clown gobies like to hang out and perch in their “ comfort zones “ but they’re pretty active in exploring the whole tank throughout the day

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few wrasse such as H. iridis, M. bipartitus (Wait for the pods to establish) A. neoguinaicus (Same with the leopard) C. lubbocki (Or any Cirrhilabrus fairy as long as it’s peaceful - I recommend against a Scott’s wrasse)

Last edited:
Back