Fish rescue attempt

marcus07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’m currently in the middle of an attempt to rescue my neighbors fish. My neighbor was gifted an aquarium by their child without know much of anything about caring for them. I need some help with diagnosing the cause of death I’m getting.(I’ve lost 4 fish within the first 24hrs) The fish came out of the tank with an ammonia reading of .25ppm prior to putting them in my basement holding tank. How long does it take for ammonia to kill a fish? They must have been in the tank a while at that level since they don’t have any test kits.
The only other symptoms I have are gill scratching at the sand. I just did a fw dip and no flukes came out. The other possibility is ich. But no white dots yet…

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I’m currently in the middle of an attempt to rescue my neighbors fish. My neighbor was gifted an aquarium by their child without know much of anything about caring for them. I need some help with diagnosing the cause of death I’m getting.(I’ve lost 4 fish within the first 24hrs) The fish came out of the tank with an ammonia reading of .25ppm prior to putting them in my basement holding tank. How long does it take for ammonia to kill a fish? They must have been in the tank a while at that level since they don’t have any test kits.
The only other symptoms I have are gill scratching at the sand. I just did a fw dip and no flukes came out. The other possibility is ich. But no white dots yet…

Thanks in advance for the help!
Tough to say for sure, more information would be needed.

Here is a link to the basic info that helps us:

.25 ammonia is usually not fatal, but some ammonia test kits are tricky to use, and the actual reading may have been higher or lower than that.

What four fish have died? What fish remain?

A short video of the remaining fish would give me some idea as to their breathing rate.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
marcus07

marcus07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, I wouldn’t think that level would have been fatal since I got them out of it and into a better tank. I’ll keep a look out for more symptoms.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back