Fish Splashing - Rimless Tank

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my rimless tank for a little over 14 months and everything has been fine, except for the past couple of weeks my blue tang has been splashing water out mutliple times each day. My tank is 48x18x18 - 65 Gallons - the water line is 1.25 inches from the top. I am assuming the tang is getting too large for my tank. This is a long shot, but does anybody have any suggestions on limiting the splashing without adding a cover? I plan to get a bigger tank soon, but looking for ideas for the short term.
thanks

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my rimless tank for a little over 14 months and everything has been fine, except for the past couple of weeks my blue tang has been splashing water out mutliple times each day. My tank is 48x18x18 - 65 Gallons - the water line is 1.25 inches from the top. I am assuming the tang is getting too large for my tank. This is a long shot, but does anybody have any suggestions on limiting the splashing without adding a cover? I plan to get a bigger tank soon, but looking for ideas for the short term.
thanks

Sorry to hear this (rimless is very nice looking tanks), but I looked at as if he was helping with the water change (my trigger used to do this to get my attention). Sorry, I apologize if I'm out of line. How big is the tang now and does this happen at various times throughout the day or only when your present in the room/area?

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

blackx-runner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a blue tang thing. Mine is also a splasher. Its usually the worst when I go by the tank and then leave the room without feeding. Good luck with a solution.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you lower the water level a bit?

OP
OP
kodiak

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it didnt splash all day today, then I just threw some pellets in and about 20 minutes after feeding it made a huge splash, water went a couple feet from the tank!! I was sitting on the couch about 15 feet from the tank, so dont think anything outside of the tank scared it. The blue tang is 4-5 inches. I've never actaully seen him splash, but hear it all the time. I think maybe it is him playing with the yellow tang :( Lowering the water may help, but that would be way too much work for me to cut the overflow teeth more. Any other ideas? Or might just need to wait for a new tank.

OP
OP
kodiak

kodiak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I ended up adding a 1.5 inch lip all around the edge. There is no more splashing and I added a wrasse a few weeks ago. Hopefully this edge will keep him from jumping. It doesn't look as nice as a rimless, but I think I can live with it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back