Fish Stocking

Justin Opheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kind of an open question.

I'm just getting back into saltwater tanking after many years away. I wanted to know what's the general rule for stocking a tank (fish wise, that's too much?). I have a 75g I will be setting up, and paired with a Eshopps 200 Sump.

I know the size fish dictates (so no tangs), but wanted to have a good mix of fish and do some corals.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kind of an open question.

I'm just getting back into saltwater tanking after many years away. I wanted to know what's the general rule for stocking a tank (fish wise, that's too much?). I have a 75g I will be setting up, and paired with a Eshopps 200 Sump.

I know the size fish dictates (so no tangs), but wanted to have a good mix of fish and do some corals.
It's kind of inconsistent due to different fish behaving differently and certain fish being more territorial than others. I suggest looking on liveaquaria as they have very accurate tank size measurements. Learn as much about any fish you want to add as possible and it'll be easier to gauge whether they'd be a wise addition or not

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma species of Tangs make fine inhabitants as do the Kole, Chevron and Tomini in the size tank. Be careful with husbandry requirements as well as compatibility with other species and same species of fish. Make sure to not break the rule of having just one, or x amount of males to y amount of females. Best to be understocked than strain your system and stress your livestock. Obviously, the more live rock you have in your tank, the less amount of fish you can maintain in your tank. Make sure fish and inverts are reef safe since you will be growing corals.
Best way to be successful is to ask questions and do some research before deciding on any livestock, much the same way you would in buying a car or TV.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[DELETED]
I confused threads lol, my bad

Last edited:

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma species of Tangs make fine inhabitants as do the Kole, Chevron and Tomini in the size tank. Be careful with husbandry requirements as well as compatibility with other species and same species of fish. Make sure to not break the rule of having just one, or x amount of males to y amount of females. Best to be understocked than strain your system and stress your livestock. Obviously, the more live rock you have in your tank, the less amount of fish you can maintain in your tank. Make sure fish and inverts are reef safe since you will be growing corals.
Best way to be successful is to ask questions and do some research before deciding on any livestock, much the same way you would in buying a car or TV.
More live rock should allow more livestock? More surface area for bacteria. Also more hiding places.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More live rock should allow more livestock? More surface area for bacteria. Also more hiding places.
Not necessarily. There's plenty ways to add natural filtration to a tank than live rock. If you have adequate filtration then less live rock = more space for fish.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!!!!
Chevron tangs need a 180 gallon But a tomini and bristle tooth will do okay in a 75 gallon

OP
OP
Justin Opheim

Justin Opheim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had plan to do 2 pairs of clowns, flame, a couple cardinal, chromis, saddle puffer, and maybe a couple fire fish.

That's not to overlook a gilby, and cleaners.

Of course not all at once, a couple at a time over a long time.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back