Fish stories

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red fish…Two fish

I think we all have stories about our aquariums… I think this is worth sharing. Perhaps you have had a similar experience? Please share, I do not think I am the only one.

On build “two” of the 45 gallon cube, it is just about complete when it comes to stacking fish. Only a Flamehawk and Starry Blenny left to go in and the list is complete.

The Flamehawk is my favorite fish, knowing this my daughter bought me a small Flamehawk for father’s day! About a week later I added the Starry Blenny and was excited as the fish tank is stocked as planned. Most likely this is the way it will stay.

A couple weeks later, I was looking over the aquarium and could not find the Flamehawk. Some concern but this little guy was a bit different than others, he seems to spend a lot of time in the shadows lurking. Throughout the day I would take a peek and nothing… My concern was growing, I searched the floor for any signs of carpet surfing but found nothing. I noticed that my algae on the glass appeared heavier than normal and was starting to be come alarmed. I started looking in rock crevices with a flash light, moving some rocks that I can easy enough but nothing.

Only a couple of options that I could think of…
Carpet surfed and possibly the dog ate him ;
Somehow went down the drain and was caught into the plumbing before hitting the sump
Or could the pistol shrimp actual gunned him down pulled him into his labyrinth of caves and had a feast… Unlikely but at this point I had no explanation.

To make my situation worse, we were heading out of town for the holiday and my daughter was going to keep an eye on the fish tank for me. The last thing I wanted to tell her that the father’s day gift she bought me is dead/missing in action. We know the first thing she would do is look for the flame hawk to see how her gift was doing.

I had to think fast…

I would replace the fish with another and she would never know. It would be my secret… I went up to the aquarium store and… looking through the display aquariums, my stomach turned.
No Flame hawks. Arghhh

Although there were boxes piled up along the isle so I asked about Flame hawks. “Yep we have a few just have to unpack them” So I asked if I could buy one, he had a couple that he was already acclimating. I said I guess I will have to finish the acclimation process. I picked out one that I thought was only slightly larger. Started to float the bag immediately, test salinity and in about an hour or so I had a replacement Flame hawk in the system. Looking him over he seems a bit larger, but she would never know. How could she possibly remember what he looked like. Happy and content I watched him until the lights went out.

The next day I checked up on him and he was doing fine. Throughout the day I continued to check on him and I was beginning to think I have pulled this off. Just before dinner I was looking into the tank and something caught my eye. In the tinted glass of the overflow area I noticed something swimming. I took a closer look and could not believe it was the small Flame hawk. I ran out to tell my wife and she was also happy to hear that the small Flame hawk was still alive.

Unfortunately, this good fortune brought a couple of problems that I would have to solve.

How to get him out? and what should I do when I get him out?
Getting some gear together to perform this task… a small fish net and plastic container with a lid should work. After all… how hard could this be?

I removed the weir cover, and started to weave the small net through the cramped herbie drain pipes and soon realized that this net is not fitting through the pipes. When I even get close the little fish swims over or around and it was impossible to move the net anywhere quick enough to catch him.

After considerable effort, the light bulb went off and I would just remove the emergency pipe. Now thinking I was glad that I followed all the forum advice not to glue the pipes on the inside just in case you need room to get your hands in there. Perfect I need room, and it’s not glued. Smart on my part!

Well needless to say that’s when all hell broke out…

Swoosh in an instant the emergency drain sucked the overflow section dry! the system was slurping gurgling and even worse the small flame hawk was sucked into the 1” emergency drain. Somehow “butt end” first

He had his fins extended fighting for dear life, another ½” and he is a goner. Immediately I came up with another not so great great plan… I ran to the utensil drawer looking for a long thin object to help pry him out. The only thing long enough was the wood shish kabob skewers, I grabbed one and ran back and stuck the stick down into the overflow then realizing that is “NOT” a good idea… something very bad is about to happen.(Fish Kabob came to mind)

Suddenly, I realized I have to shut this return pump off now! Frantically I grabbed the tablet with wet hands trying to type in my password to get into Apex and shut the return off. Finally I managed to turn the pump off, and ran back to the tank.

To my surprise the flame hawk managed to pull himself out of the drain and was laying sideways helpless on the bottom, there was a quarter inch of water that was trickling in from the overflow.

I grabbed the net and despite no water, and a fish laying still… I could still not get him out.

Instinct may have finally kicked in, I tossed the net and stuck my arm down the 18” overflow where I managed to cup the little fish gently in my hand and was able to lift him out and put him into plastic Tupperware bowl I had at the ready with aquarium water. Finally!

I took him down stairs and put him in the sump… Periodically checking on him. He was looking good. His will to live, despite my panic and flawed rescue attempts his life was spared. Yes in hindsight not the best course of actions… I gave myself an excuse I was in Panic mode.

In wanting him to be a bit more comfortable I moved a few small rocks in the sump and set up a light and set it to turn on and off while we were gone. In preparing for the trip I created little containers for daily feedings to make it easy for my daughter while we are away.

But now I would have to and ask her to run down stairs and feed him. Of course, she would ask why is he in the sump and you have a new one?

Only one more day before we leave.

As I said, this is build two on this tank, years before on this same tank I was asking about keeping multiple Flamehawks. As I continued to think about what to do I revisited the thread did some searching on pairing of Flame hawks. Since the new fish has only been in the tank since yesterday, and he is bigger than the little flame hawk. I was thinking if I ever had a chance to have a pair of Flamehawks this may be time to do it…

So…I decided that I may give it a try. Now that the little guy (which could very well be a little women) has settled down. I went and pulled the little Flame Hawk from the sump and plopped it back into the aquarium. The little red fish immediately went into the rock structure and within minutes the two hawks seen each other, the larger hawk headed directly into the rock structure.

Yikes…What did I do? Poor little Flamehawk I am going to kill him yet

I seen the large Flame hawks fins a shaken , and although I tried I could not see the little one.
After a few minutes I seen the large Flame head back out alone, and was acting similar to the Flame hawks I had in the past perching and jumping from rock to rock, then onto the gravel appearing to hunt for food. I did not see the little one anywhere ☹
After thinking the worse. Surprisingly, I now see the smaller flame hawk popping out of the rocks perching and looking for food. Not long after I watched both hawks displaying normal activity, and at times they were near each other. I continued to watch as the lights dimmed and even after the lights shut off. I went to sleep feeling comfortable.

In the morning I watched both Flamehawks happily swimming hunting for food. It appears as though things will be fine. I had a few hours to watch before we left, I made sure the food was ready the topoff water was filled and gave the final instructions to my daughter. Don’t worry about feeding today, I fed the fish already.

Off we went...

The next day my daughter sent a text, “Hey I thought I was seeing things.. Did you get another Flamehawk?”

>Yes, I bought the little one a friend. I want to see if they will pair up Not sure yet, so we need to keep an eye on them.

“Cool”

We are home now… I am still monitoring, but it is looking promising!
I may just have my my favorite fish paired!

There could be a couple lessons learned? Yes quite the story, I am not proud...but had to share.

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red fish…Two fish

I think we all have stories about our aquariums… I think this is worth sharing. Perhaps you have had a similar experience? Please share, I do not think I am the only one.

On build “two” of the 45 gallon cube, it is just about complete when it comes to stacking fish. Only a Flamehawk and Starry Blenny left to go in and the list is complete.

The Flamehawk is my favorite fish, knowing this my daughter bought me a small Flamehawk for father’s day! About a week later I added the Starry Blenny and was excited as the fish tank is stocked as planned. Most likely this is the way it will stay.

A couple weeks later, I was looking over the aquarium and could not find the Flamehawk. Some concern but this little guy was a bit different than others, he seems to spend a lot of time in the shadows lurking. Throughout the day I would take a peek and nothing… My concern was growing, I searched the floor for any signs of carpet surfing but found nothing. I noticed that my algae on the glass appeared heavier than normal and was starting to be come alarmed. I started looking in rock crevices with a flash light, moving some rocks that I can easy enough but nothing.

Only a couple of options that I could think of…
Carpet surfed and possibly the dog ate him ;
Somehow went down the drain and was caught into the plumbing before hitting the sump
Or could the pistol shrimp actual gunned him down pulled him into his labyrinth of caves and had a feast… Unlikely but at this point I had no explanation.

To make my situation worse, we were heading out of town for the holiday and my daughter was going to keep an eye on the fish tank for me. The last thing I wanted to tell her that the father’s day gift she bought me is dead/missing in action. We know the first thing she would do is look for the flame hawk to see how her gift was doing.

I had to think fast…

I would replace the fish with another and she would never know. It would be my secret… I went up to the aquarium store and… looking through the display aquariums, my stomach turned.
No Flame hawks. Arghhh

Although there were boxes piled up along the isle so I asked about Flame hawks. “Yep we have a few just have to unpack them” So I asked if I could buy one, he had a couple that he was already acclimating. I said I guess I will have to finish the acclimation process. I picked out one that I thought was only slightly larger. Started to float the bag immediately, test salinity and in about an hour or so I had a replacement Flame hawk in the system. Looking him over he seems a bit larger, but she would never know. How could she possibly remember what he looked like. Happy and content I watched him until the lights went out.

The next day I checked up on him and he was doing fine. Throughout the day I continued to check on him and I was beginning to think I have pulled this off. Just before dinner I was looking into the tank and something caught my eye. In the tinted glass of the overflow area I noticed something swimming. I took a closer look and could not believe it was the small Flame hawk. I ran out to tell my wife and she was also happy to hear that the small Flame hawk was still alive.

Unfortunately, this good fortune brought a couple of problems that I would have to solve.

How to get him out? and what should I do when I get him out?
Getting some gear together to perform this task… a small fish net and plastic container with a lid should work. After all… how hard could this be?

I removed the weir cover, and started to weave the small net through the cramped herbie drain pipes and soon realized that this net is not fitting through the pipes. When I even get close the little fish swims over or around and it was impossible to move the net anywhere quick enough to catch him.

After considerable effort, the light bulb went off and I would just remove the emergency pipe. Now thinking I was glad that I followed all the forum advice not to glue the pipes on the inside just in case you need room to get your hands in there. Perfect I need room, and it’s not glued. Smart on my part!

Well needless to say that’s when all hell broke out…

Swoosh in an instant the emergency drain sucked the overflow section dry! the system was slurping gurgling and even worse the small flame hawk was sucked into the 1” emergency drain. Somehow “butt end” first

He had his fins extended fighting for dear life, another ½” and he is a goner. Immediately I came up with another not so great great plan… I ran to the utensil drawer looking for a long thin object to help pry him out. The only thing long enough was the wood shish kabob skewers, I grabbed one and ran back and stuck the stick down into the overflow then realizing that is “NOT” a good idea… something very bad is about to happen.(Fish Kabob came to mind)

Suddenly, I realized I have to shut this return pump off now! Frantically I grabbed the tablet with wet hands trying to type in my password to get into Apex and shut the return off. Finally I managed to turn the pump off, and ran back to the tank.

To my surprise the flame hawk managed to pull himself out of the drain and was laying sideways helpless on the bottom, there was a quarter inch of water that was trickling in from the overflow.

I grabbed the net and despite no water, and a fish laying still… I could still not get him out.

Instinct may have finally kicked in, I tossed the net and stuck my arm down the 18” overflow where I managed to cup the little fish gently in my hand and was able to lift him out and put him into plastic Tupperware bowl I had at the ready with aquarium water. Finally!

I took him down stairs and put him in the sump… Periodically checking on him. He was looking good. His will to live, despite my panic and flawed rescue attempts his life was spared. Yes in hindsight not the best course of actions… I gave myself an excuse I was in Panic mode.

In wanting him to be a bit more comfortable I moved a few small rocks in the sump and set up a light and set it to turn on and off while we were gone. In preparing for the trip I created little containers for daily feedings to make it easy for my daughter while we are away.

But now I would have to and ask her to run down stairs and feed him. Of course, she would ask why is he in the sump and you have a new one?

Only one more day before we leave.

As I said, this is build two on this tank, years before on this same tank I was asking about keeping multiple Flamehawks. As I continued to think about what to do I revisited the thread did some searching on pairing of Flame hawks. Since the new fish has only been in the tank since yesterday, and he is bigger than the little flame hawk. I was thinking if I ever had a chance to have a pair of Flamehawks this may be time to do it…

So…I decided that I may give it a try. Now that the little guy (which could very well be a little women) has settled down. I went and pulled the little Flame Hawk from the sump and plopped it back into the aquarium. The little red fish immediately went into the rock structure and within minutes the two hawks seen each other, the larger hawk headed directly into the rock structure.

Yikes…What did I do? Poor little Flamehawk I am going to kill him yet

I seen the large Flame hawks fins a shaken , and although I tried I could not see the little one.
After a few minutes I seen the large Flame head back out alone, and was acting similar to the Flame hawks I had in the past perching and jumping from rock to rock, then onto the gravel appearing to hunt for food. I did not see the little one anywhere ☹
After thinking the worse. Surprisingly, I now see the smaller flame hawk popping out of the rocks perching and looking for food. Not long after I watched both hawks displaying normal activity, and at times they were near each other. I continued to watch as the lights dimmed and even after the lights shut off. I went to sleep feeling comfortable.

In the morning I watched both Flamehawks happily swimming hunting for food. It appears as though things will be fine. I had a few hours to watch before we left, I made sure the food was ready the topoff water was filled and gave the final instructions to my daughter. Don’t worry about feeding today, I fed the fish already.

Off we went...

The next day my daughter sent a text, “Hey I thought I was seeing things.. Did you get another Flamehawk?”

>Yes, I bought the little one a friend. I want to see if they will pair up Not sure yet, so we need to keep an eye on them.

“Cool”

We are home now… I am still monitoring, but it is looking promising!
I may just have my my favorite fish paired!

There could be a couple lessons learned? Yes quite the story, I am not proud...but had to share.
Entertaining read... glad it worked out

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still keeping my eye on these guys... The larger one is chasing the smaller one a bit. He has plenty of places to hide. If the smaller is not out and about during the day. I will attempt to separate... I am sure this is also easier said than done

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the larger flamehawk, this smaller hawk has been different that the others I have owned. It is a bit more timid from day 1 he has hid among the rocks. It is hard to tell if the new Flamehawk is trying to keep him pinned up or if he just likes to keep hidden. I think it is better to be safe that sorry.

I really would like to have a pair but I have not seen these two swimming around together like others have claimed, Maybe another time. Story still has a nice ending... They are both alive ;)

OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the larger flamehawk, this smaller hawk has been different that the others I have owned. It is a bit more timid from day 1 he has hid among the rocks. It is hard to tell if the new Flamehawk is trying to keep him pinned up or if he just likes to keep hidden. I think it is better to be safe that sorry.

I really would like to have a pair but I have not seen these two swimming around together like others have claimed, Maybe another time. Story still has a nice ending... They are both alive ;)

PS I bought a bubble trap to catch the large flamehawk. I set it up and was going to leave the trap in for a day to get the fish comfortable with the trap (also added a little food) while getting my GoPro ready to video the next day, I looked over (within 2 minutes) and the large flamehawk was checking out the food in the bubble trap. I decided to give it a try thinking I rather get the fish out as quick as possible over filming the catch with a video. The trapped worked flawlessly.

I know they are not fast swimmers but he hid in the rocks at the sight of the net. The trap was perfect for this fish.

I gave the bubble trap a good review...

Last edited:
OP
OP
truepercs

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this ended badly... The little flamehawk died. He may have been stressed from larger hawk or he could have received an injury when he was stuck in the drain. Hard to tell because he was shy from the get go, I am sad... :(

I put the large flame hawk back into the aquarium. For the most part the tank is fully stocked with fish so nothing more will be added. At least for a while. The focus will be on coral.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back