Fish suggestion

michael lyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,just wanted some idea's for a new fish. I have a 29 biocube and want just one more.The one's that I have just stay on the bottom or just above. there are two clowns,one yellow watchman,flame hawk and Springeri dotty-back, I would like something that would use the top half of my tank
the clowns are inside hammer or behind it and watchman is always hiding in the back

20200408_102223.jpg

OP
OP
M

michael lyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandiran goby cheap and the most beautiful fish in the ocean. It is also hardy here is a picture they range from 10 to 30

plugon-mandarin-dragonet-fish.jpg
they are one of the best looking fish out there , but don't they stay on bottom? I could be wrong i have never had one (yet) Im looking for something that would stay up higher in the tank and use the top half of my tank

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A chalk bass might work- mine stay around the top but that may be due to the other fish in the tank. Plus, I have some rock that is close to the surface. I'm not aware of any fish that are "known" to usually swim at the top of a shallow tank such as the biocube. BTW, I think many reefers would say five fish is enough for a 29 gallon tank.

NJDragonet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect I think a mandarin is a bad choice - it stays on the rocks and is likely to starve in such a small tank.

a forktail or canary blenny or similar fanged blenny will swims more and probably be ok in your semi aggressive tank.
That is my bad I did not know you wanted something that stays at the top does your tank have a lid if so I think a small wrasse would do great in there. There are so many breeds that are good it really is your choice I would say six line or four line they are small and tend to stay at the top.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin Dragonet is a poor choice for a 30 gal. They don't eat prepare food well and likely stave in a small tank like that unless you really supplement them with live food. There will be people who going to say that you can feed them with contraptions, and they eat frozen.
Unless you want to spend a huge amount of money and slave to them, bet to have a larger tank so they have enough pods and you don't have to feed them. I am not a hater, in fact, I love my Mandarin Dragon Pair.
Mandarin2019010607.jpg
Mandarin2019101401.jpg
Mandarin2020030901.jpg

OP
OP
M

michael lyons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect I think a mandarin is a bad choice - it stays on the rocks and is likely to starve in such a small tank.

a forktail or canary blenny or similar fanged blenny will swims more and probably be ok in your semi aggressive tank.
I will look into the blenny,thanks for your suggestion.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back