Fish swimming into current.

Cherylann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I'm four months into my new tank. All my fish were swimming into the current yesterday. At first I was enjoying watching them, thinking how great that they are all getting along (which they do anyway) and playing together. Then it dawned on me that there may be an issue. They all looked healthy and had just eaten about an hour before (all ate well as I watched) and I though they were just full, happy and playing. I am a little concerned because the temp in my tank rose to 82 degrees although heater was on 79. I live in Connecticut and yesterday was a warm day and I don't have AC on yet. I have 1- Lubbock Wrasse, 2- yellow tail damsels, 2 clown fish, 1 yellow watchman goby, 1 Bangghai Cardinal. I've attached a picture (Glare from window on tank picture). Picture was taken about 7:00 p.m. Should I be concerned or happy that they are playing together?

fish.jpg

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be concerned about them swimming into pump flow. I have to that do the same thing from time to time. What I would be concerned with is your tanks temp swings. Either keeps lights off during the warmest parts of day, add a fan and I seen some take water bottes they have frozen and floated to help keep temp stable.

Will watch to see what others might recommend

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be worried either. I have had some fish like tangs who seem to do it just because they like the rush, like adrenaline junkies.

OP
OP
C

Cherylann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all seemed happy and I was enjoying watching them have fun but then it dawned on me that with all of them swimming against the current at the same time that there may be an issue. When I looked at the temp of 82 degrees i questioned that also. I'll put a fan on the tank when the temps are high in my area and freeze some pony bottles of water. We usually don't have to put the AC on during the summer unless a heat wave hits but I will make sure tank stays cooler. I hope they are doing it because they are just having fun, it is really enjoyable watching them all swim together. Like children who play well together ...lol

OP
OP
C

Cherylann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be worried either. I have had some fish like tangs who seem to do it just because they like the rush, like adrenaline junkies.
I watch the clowns do it periodically and have even seen Goby playing in the current at times but with all of them together it seems to good of a thing to happen.

OP
OP
C

Cherylann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be concerned about them swimming into pump flow. I have to that do the same thing from time to time. What I would be concerned with is your tanks temp swings. Either keeps lights off during the warmest parts of day, add a fan and I seen some take water bottes they have frozen and floated to help keep temp stable.

Will watch to see what others might recommend
They all seemed happy and I was enjoying watching them have fun but then it dawned on me that with all of them swimming against the current at the same time that there may be an issue. When I looked at the temp of 82 degrees i questioned that also. I'll put a fan on the tank when the temps are high in my area and freeze some pony bottles of water. We usually don't have to put the AC on during the summer unless a heat wave hits but I will make sure tank stays cooler. I hope they are doing it because they are just having fun, it is really enjoyable watching them all swim together. Like children who play well together ...lol

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just makes ure that you have plenty of surface agitation/turnover = higher oxygen levels.

Back