Fish tank drama....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so im a bit unsure here.. I have a chip in the corner of my fish tank and the tank was built in 1996. With that being said i was debating about resealing it and taking a chance with the chip... OR should i buy a aquon 75 from petco for 100 bucks and red till the new tank. Thoughts? Figured the silicone will cost a little over 10 bucks and then the work that has to go in to cleaning it and such.. Maybe a mew tank isnt so bad?

What caused the chip? If you damaged the tank - replace it - no amount of 'it should be ok' or 'replace it' or 'try this' or 'try that' will ease your mind. Its not a large tank - and its already 20 _ years old. Replace it:)..... I dont think you can fix a chip with silicone. Get a new tank - you will feel better.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man oh man. Decisions! Then if i buy the aquon I have to Che k the back of it which some people on here saw it exploded because of a tempered back glass. But some had luck and it didn't.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just spoke to petco and they said all the sides are tempered now. :/
Then don't buy an Aqueon...? And - just because someone said 'something happened' because of tempered glass - doesnt make it truth. Maybe contact Aqueon and ask them why they are using tempered glass? If it was such a flaw - my guess is they wouldn't b e doing it.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spoke to petco and they said all the sides are tempered now. :/

So if you like aqueon tanks, find a independent dealer that carries them. Have them ask their sales rep to get the "custom drilling program sheet" from Central.

It might cost more, but you can get a drilled tank from aqueon, with a warranty.

It might take a while, but could be an option for you.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. The drill tanks from them around my size are around 500 bucks. :( I was checking that out too.

WVfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do NOT make the same mistake I made.
I used to take care of other people's aquariums (around 100 customer tanks). When I retired, my bucket list was setting up a nice reefer for me.
I held on to my ancient (30-years-old?) 90 gallon t0 use as a display. It was well made, had no dings, and the silicone looked fine.
Big mistake. Sure, it holds water. But there are multiple small scratches which fill with algae every week. I have to use a razor blade each week or it looks like hell. And because I'm constantly scraping the glass, said scratches are slowly increasing in size through friction
But the worst part is evident when I view the tank from above, where there is no glass. It is a completely different view from when I look through the front.
I believe the age of the glass has increased the distortion; viewed from above, the corals are magnificent, they "pop." The derasa clam is vibrant, almost glowing. The fish are incredibly brilliant.
Viewed from the front, through the old glass, everything takes on a dull sheen. It's like looking at the tank with dark glasses.
Now, if I want the fish and inverts to look their best, I must rip apart all the rockwork and corals. It's going to be an awesome amount of work.
I sure wish I had used a new 90 gallon - preferably one with no scratches and with low (iron? lead?) content, for better viewing.
Starfire? Is that the new distortion glass? I wish I had bought one.
Anyway, I'd dump the old tank. Don't screw up like I did.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back