Fish tank is smelly!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m a newbie to the hobby. I have 2 Oranda and 5 mystery snails in a 40 gal fresh tank. The only problem is it’s starting to smell reaaaallly bad after 3-4 days of changing the water/cleaning the filter. Ive added breakdown bacteria etc and I’ve tried using the basic stuff like candles fabreeze in the room but it just doesn’t cut it! It literally smells like old greasy farts and sewage. Does my filter suck? (Top Fin Silenstream 40 Power Filter) Any tips?
Hello and sorry your tank is smelling so badly! I keep freshwater tanks, have for a very long time, and in my opinion your TopFin filter doesn't exactly suck, but it's not one of the better filters, and I don't think it will keep up with messy goldfish. I'd suggest an AquaClear Hang On Back filter or one of the Seachem Tidal HOB filters. You may even want two with goldfish.

How old is the tank? Is this a well established tank where lots and lots of detritus has accumulated in the substrate? If so, this can be a source of the poo smell.

If large water changes and gravel vacs are not helping, then whatever it is must still be in the tank. Personally, since these are goldfish in only a 40 gallon, I'd just reboot the whole tank. I'd put the fish and snails in a bucket or tub, drain the whole tank, removed and rinse/clean/replace the sand or gravel and decorations, scrub the tank and filters real good, refill and restart it. Add dechlor and nitrifying bacteria as needed for a new tank. If your smell comes back after that, your goldfish have some serious problems!

EDIT: If this is a new tank and you're new to aquarium keeping, is it possible you are way, way overfeeding the fish?? This is very common with almost everyone new to fish keeping. Fish are always trying to convince you that they are hungry and need to eat. If you are feeding to where the food is going uneaten and breaking down in the tank, that too could be the source of your smell. How much and what are you feeding?

Good luck!

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and sorry your tank is smelling so badly! I keep freshwater tanks, have for a very long time, and in my opinion your TopFin filter doesn't exactly suck, but it's not one of the better filters, and I don't think it will keep up with messy goldfish. I'd suggest an AquaClear Hang On Back filter or one of the Seachem Tidal HOB filters. You may even want two with goldfish.

How old is the tank? Is this a well established tank where lots and lots of detritus has accumulated in the substrate? If so, this can be a source of the poo smell.

If large water changes and gravel vacs are not helping, then whatever it is must still be in the tank. Personally, since these are goldfish in only a 40 gallon, I'd just reboot the whole tank. I'd put the fish and snails in a bucket or tub, drain the whole tank, removed and rinse/clean/replace the sand or gravel and decorations, scrub the tank and filters real good, refill and restart it. Add dechlor and nitrifying bacteria as needed for a new tank. If your smell comes back after that, your goldfish have some serious problems!

Good luck!
It is a nice tank, 40-gallons for two goldfish. A Marineland 350 on amazon for like $40 would be nice.

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my freshwater tank the best thing I did was switch to a canister filter. I went with a fluval FX4 for my 55 gallon and it does amazing at keeping the water clean and relatively odorless. While the fluval fx canister filters are pricey, imo they are worth the investment. If you were looking to make the switch, I would consider either the FX2 or FX4.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is probably your best chance for smell.

My last running fresh is a crawfish breeder. As dirty as I can let it go. I have a diy pantyhose bag with carbon in the ac110. Doesn't stink..

I use a 3/4 pipe with cut slots at the bottom to suck the muck every few months (and collect babies living in the muck).
IMG_20240317_201512024.jpg IMG_20240320_091515387.jpg
IMG_20240323_175157857.jpg

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a nice tank, 40-gallons for two goldfish. A Marineland 350 on amazon for like $40 would be nice.
In my opinion, those Marineland filters are in the "gimmicky" category, especially the ones with the rotating bio wheel (that always stop rotating), and they use primarily proprietary filter inserts and media. The Hagan/Fluval AquaClear and SeaChem Tidal HOB filters both have a decent sized media area that you can load with whatever you want, from the proprietary inserts if you want to use them to custom filter bags and media.

With my freshwater tank the best thing I did was switch to a canister filter. I went with a fluval FX4 for my 55 gallon and it does amazing at keeping the water clean and relatively odorless. While the fluval fx canister filters are pricey, imo they are worth the investment. If you were looking to make the switch, I would consider either the FX2 or FX4.
I'm in the minority with this I'm sure, but I'm the opposite way. I agree that canister filters are powerful and do a great job, but I think they are such a PITA to maintain, that I no longer use them. I much prefer a big AquaClear 70 or 110 that for me is very quick and easy to maintain. But again, that's just me.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I’m a newbie to the hobby. I have 2 Oranda and 5 mystery snails in a 40 gal fresh tank. The only problem is it’s starting to smell reaaaallly bad after 3-4 days of changing the water/cleaning the filter. Ive added breakdown bacteria etc and I’ve tried using the basic stuff like candles fabreeze in the room but it just doesn’t cut it! It literally smells like old greasy farts and sewage. Does my filter suck? (Top Fin Silenstream 40 Power Filter) Any tips?
Sometimes You caused it. Did you do anything different lately?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back