Fish tank stand issues

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed there's a slight space between the bottom trim and the stand. It's only that one part that has the space. Do I need to fix it (I'm almost positive I do) and how do I fix it? It doesn't have anything to with the leveling but my question about that is if I just shim the bottom of the stand, shouldn't it be alright? It's sitting on carpet btw.

IMG_7123.JPG

IMG_7124.JPG

IMG_7126.JPG

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple pastic shims

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which side is the gap compared to the bubble?

And yes, I would just <*** nevermind, keep reading ***> into the gap (watching the level, of course)...

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a DIY stand?

If so, consider a 3/4 plywood top to "level" out the imperfections.

I definitely would NOT shim between the tank and the stand.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not shim between a tank and the stand. Bad idea lol. I have shimed between the aquarium top and the stand itself however I don’t recommend that either unless you want to take the risk. I would go with getting a 3/4 plywood top like @redfishbluefish said. It may help if you took more pictures of the stand.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a DIY stand?

Do not shim between a tank and the stand. Bad idea lol. I have shimed between the aquarium top and the stand itself however I don’t recommend that either unless you want to take the risk. I would go with getting a 3/4 plywood top like @redfishbluefish said. It may help if you took more pictures of the stand.

Plywood, great idea! All my tanks are on plywood, I am not sure why I did not think of that, lol...

That said, why not shim?

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood, great idea! All my tanks are on plywood, I am not sure why I did not think of that, lol...

That said, why not shim?

Just shiming between the tank and the stand is way to risky. Those shims could cause pressure points and the tank could eventually cause the tank to fail. Shiming between carpet and the tank to level it as you fill it is completely fine.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just shiming between the tank and the stand is way to risky. Those shims could cause pressure points and the tank could eventually cause the tank to fail. Shiming between carpet and the tank to level it as you fill it is completely fine.

Ah, yeah, good point... The gap would need to be evenly 'filled' and a shim may not do that. OR one extra 'tap' and those pressures points would become a real problem.

Okay, I am sold. I change my vote to plywood!

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a DIY stand?

I've heard of doing this before but I've been under the impression that doesn't actually fix it since the gap will still be underneath that corner which will cause it to not truly support that corner.

Tarlon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is my first post haha. But any way, about your concern, what I would probably do is to put a ply in the top and fill the gaps with some structural sealant

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is my first post haha. But any way, about your concern, what I would probably do is to put a ply in the top and fill the gaps with some structural sealant
So something like wood glue?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things you need to do to determine what is wrong.

1 Put a straight edge on the trim of the tank
2. put a straight edge on the top of the stand.
3. Determine which one is not straight..

I have had tanks where the black trim is not put on properly.
If its the stand that is out, Figure out if its out of square Rocking on the floor causing it to be racked, Sitting on tack strip.. Depending on how you built the stand. If its like many way OVER BUILT. you might not be able to shim it due to no flex.
If you have it shimmed and its sitting solid to the floor on all 4 corners, Then my suggestion 1/2 plywood , screws and shims .. Cut a piece of 1/2 plywood to fit the top of the stand.
Find the highest point on the top of stand structure and mark this as your starting point.
Put the plywood on top and run a screw into this area. Using straight edge/ level that is the full length of the stand start shimmer and screwing the plywood to keep it flat across side.. then to each end then the other long side..

If the plastic trim is what is out.. LAY PLYWOOD on the top of the stand.. shim under the plywood to remove gaps and insure tank is level.. Gently raise tank up and screw down..

Your issue is why i DO NOT Recommend people to build tank stands with ROUGH Lumber especially 2x4 without proper tools , Running each edge thru a table saw to insure its TRUE and Straight..

I Will add bee weary of any advice on the internet including mine, As i cant see the whole stand or know the entire situation. The above is from my educated guess .

Sorry for such a long post .I hope its detailed enough to help you make the right choice of adjustment for your situation...
Good Luck
Erica Renee

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do this with a structural anchoring Grout..Cover the trim on the bottom of the tank to keep it from sticking to the trim . run a bead of the grout around everywhere the plastic will be. Sit the tank down on to the anchoring grout and push the tank down to be level. Grout will fill the gaps.. .

But i would fix the stand. as in my above post. THE Grout is a decent solution if it is the Plastic trim that is out

mightieskeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to level the top and bottom of DIY stand is to take a belt sander to those surfaces until they are level.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to level the top and bottom of DIY stand is to take a belt sander to those surfaces until they are level.
It's kind of difficult to get a belt sander in some spaces due to the trim on the stand otherwise I would probably do that.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I'm going to attempt to put a piece of plywood on top, screw it down, and fill in any gaps with this construction adhesive. @Tarlon will this construction adhesive work the same as the stuff you linked me to?

IMG_7129.PNG

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't mention what size tank you have - what are the dimensions?

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering, but why would I use something like construction adhesive if it doesn't dry rock hard? Wouldn't something that dries rock hard be better for filling the gap and supporting the weight?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back