Fish to control hair algae in refugium

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some hair algae in my 1 year old refugium that's hindering the growth of my caulerpa prolifera. Which hardy yet inexpensive fish should I try that will help?
Right now I'm thinking yellowtail damsel and sailfin blenny. Is the blenny interested in caulerpa? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the algae growing on the walls of the refugium or in the caulerpa itself? What light are you using? I use a light director from @TheHarold that keeps the light from my H160 from spilling over everywhere. My old sump was covered in hair algae. With the light director focusing the light on the chaeto my current sump is very clean.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to grown a good amount of hair algae in your refugium then why would you rather grow caulerpa? Nutrient export is nutrient export, regardless of what the macro algae looks like. Right now I am grown chaeto very quickly in my refugium and it has eliminated the hair algae, but personally I preferred the hair algae. I feel it was a better nutrient export than the chaeto. Also my pods absolutely loved the hair algae and were reproducing very quickly.

OP
OP
H

HKfshkpr1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to grown a good amount of hair algae in your refugium then why would you rather grow caulerpa? Nutrient export is nutrient export, regardless of what the macro algae looks like. Right now I am grown chaeto very quickly in my refugium and it has eliminated the hair algae, but personally I preferred the hair algae. I feel it was a better nutrient export than the chaeto. Also my pods absolutely loved the hair algae and were reproducing very quickly.

The hair algae keeps clogging the drain and powerhead strainer, etc.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn’t bother anything but the micro algae
That's normal. I have the same thing in my sump. The GHA will grow in dense matts on top of the cualerpa prolifera. I just cut out the GHA and toss it....nutrient export made simple :)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back