Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

Jamo7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like we can have no fish in a tank. I started my tank in November cycled with troubles and made my mistakes with adding fish (6 line wrasse) my current stock is 2 maroons and 1 yellow tang in 50 gallons. Although I’m new it seems that I can’t add another fish? I don’t have any plans too but I thought someday it might be nice.... but every fish I have thought about including the ones I already have, have made your lists. I’m good with my current crew but the lists you all have include everything. But the six line I was given was a jerk. I’ll never get one of those again.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multibar angel - way too fragile
Rock beauty and flagfin angels - both can survive but not thrive IMO
6line - although I have one
Triggers - only in a FOWLR tank - inc. the reef safe ones
Anthias - beautiful fish but pain to QT

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have two fish that I have keep, both 20 years ago and never want to keep again.
Orbicularist Bat and Sixline wrasse.
Once I have a little knowledge, I am very selective in what fish I put into my tank.
The Batfish was such a beautiful baby that quickly out grow and my tank as an ugly adult. The Sixline pair that I keep are such mean fish. They attacked and blinded my female Mandarin and leave her starve to death. Once they pecked her eyes out in coordinated attack in a few second, right in front of me, they completely ignored her. If that is not calculated murder, I don't know what is. They were coordinated, one go for one eye and the second one the other eye within seconds of each other. This is in a 420 gal DT. Both pairs, the Sixline and Mandarin, were fat and there were plenty of food for all 4 fishes. The Mandarin pair were spawning regularly. I cann't tell if the Sixline were breeding or not, but it would not surprised me if they were.
Oh my that is horrible, sorry about your mandarin that is very traumatic, poor thing

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for all the responses, never thought id get this many,
A lot of fish i love have made this list like damsels, my starcki is quite mellow but likes to think shes queen of her side, and dwarf angels, i think i got lucky finding a multibar who eats and a coral beauty who both dont nip to damage.... well maybe a trumpet coral but we can forget that lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks, not even an orchid. Unless it was a tank with JUST a dottyback and nothing else.
Sixline - never had an issue with the ones I had but there are better wrasses that won't one day possibly become psychos.
Most Tangs - they are boring. Maybe one for algae control but just not riding this Tang Train.

I LOVE MY STARKII DAMSEL, I pretty much always keep one and they never cause problems. They are as pretty as a dwarf angel without being a coral nipper.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish. For a little over a year there was no problem then the Falco just snapped and started chasing the Firefish and Rainford Goby. Now these two spend most of their time hiding and only come out to eat. Since I like clean sand and my Rainford is confined to one spot and not able to sift all over the tank like he used to I'll be removing the Hawkfish in the near future.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I hate all you people with Starckis because it’s my favorite damsel and I could never get one [emoji28]. My azures are too established now and are very chill.

Tangs - I just hate them and they just love to get sick. Prefer rabbitfish instead. I have good experiences with zebrasomas but still in general I hate tangs.

Angels - coral nippers in general so I avoid

Orchid Dotty - I got a rare butt of an Orchid and would just rather get a Gramma now

Non mixed clown pairs - just because I like mixing their colours

Wrasses ordered online - it’s a crapshoot because so many are collected and shipped bad

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame Angel
Sixline
Probably wouldnt do goldflakes again either

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No groupers. Never stop growing and eating. Unless you have a 1500+ gallon tank I wouldn't do it.
No Batfish. Too finnicky.
No sharks larger than a bamboo cat. Same as groupers only even bigger tank than that. I would say no smaller than 12x8x6 feet and that foot print may be too small for long term health.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Damsels are some of my favorite fish in my tanks. People that hate them didn’t do research and chose the wrong types.

No, not necessarily. You are not acknowledging that ANY species of damsel can become very aggressive with new small fish that are introduced later. I have many years experience and done plenty of research on so-called "less aggressive" or "better" damsels only to have them murder any new small fish I added later. Azures, Talbots, Yellow tail, etc. all have the potential to be very aggressive towards small tank mates. And it depends on this fish! Not all fish are the same.

Biocube32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a sufficient predator to eat their fry. Even then, the fry will end up in the refugium and grow out there. I don't like culling fish but I have culled probably over 120 livebearers over the past few years

What kind of fish produce like that?

AZRipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kole Yellow Eye Tang - Jerk to everyone
White Tail Bristle Tooth Tang - Jerk to all blenny
Purple Dottyback - Jerk to everyone
Yellow Citrin Goby - Had one for years with no SPS problems. New one loves nailing my SPS.
Damsels - Never had a nice one
Blue Gudgeon Dartfish - Love them, however in a large tank they will often hide and never come out to feed.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back