Fish you have/had kept but wouldnt keep again

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not necessarily. You are not acknowledging that ANY species of damsel can become very aggressive with new small fish that are introduced later. I have many years experience and done plenty of research on so-called "less aggressive" or "better" damsels only to have them murder any new small fish I added later. Azures, Talbots, Yellow tail, etc. all have the potential to be very aggressive towards small tank mates. And it depends on this fish! Not all fish are the same.

You have very different experiences with chrysiptera damsels than I do apparently (aside from cyanea and taupou) . What size tank were the damsels in when you had those problems? I am almost up to 20 in my 210g. Still planning to add more. No issues at all.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I hate all you people with Starckis because it’s my favorite damsel and I could never get one [emoji28]. My azures are too established now and are very chill.

Tangs - I just hate them and they just love to get sick. Prefer rabbitfish instead. I have good experiences with zebrasomas but still in general I hate tangs.

Angels - coral nippers in general so I avoid

Orchid Dotty - I got a rare butt of an Orchid and would just rather get a Gramma now

Non mixed clown pairs - just because I like mixing their colours

Wrasses ordered online - it’s a crapshoot because so many are collected and shipped bad

I recently added a starcki to my tank with a group of 12 established azures. They haven’t paid any attention to the starcki. I guess I may just be lucky though

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll agree with the diamond goby. I grabbed one to keep my sand bed looking nice and white. It does a great job at that but it constantly clouds the water. I have decently coarse sand but I’m hoping That over time most of the finer particles get filtered out and the cloudiness issue goes away.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me; no 6lines, no angels, no damsels besides Rolands or Talbots, no diamond gobys, no jawfish, no thalasomas, definitely no clowns, and my most recent unfortunately, no triggers, they eat way to much and really make nutrients difficult to manage when not in a monster tank.
Some of these are uncommon "never agains" lol. No angels of any kind? No clowns of any kind?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue-spotted jawfish for me! Absolutely beautiful fish but even with a covered tank I could not keep it in the tank. I rescued that fish more times than I can count!

Part of the problem is that people aren't forewarned that Blue Spot Jawfish need temperatures a bit colder than you want in a reef (ie 74 degrees). At regular 77-79 degree reef temps they don't last long term. Wouldn't surprise me if it kept jumping because the tank was too warm for it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call I was going to buy a Red Headed Salon Wrasse. Thanks for the close call

Go with a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse instead. They stay smaller, are dirty cheap by fairy wrasse standards and generally don't bother much unless you put them in a super cramped tank (ie under 3 feet long).

Gorgeous Fish:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these are uncommon "never agains" lol. No angels of any kind? No clowns of any kind?
I’ve tried a lot of fish haha, so many had to be rehomed due to insane aggression or coral nipping. Clowns will claim a section of the tank and defend it to death attacking even bigger fish than them and stressing them, angels have all became coral nippers over time ime, jawfish hide 99% of the time then randomly go aggro on someone, the wrasses I’ve specified have had aggression issues, diamond gobys get massive and make your tank a sand storm, I’ve had 4 types of damsels and Rolands are the only ones that I’d say aren’t crazy or aggressive, talbots are less aggressive than any of the blue damsels but still pretty cray.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried a lot of fish haha, so many had to be rehomed due to insane aggression or coral nipping. Clowns will claim a section of the tank and defend it to death attacking even bigger fish than them and stressing them, angels have all became coral nippers over time ime, jawfish hide 99% of the time then randomly go aggro on someone, the wrasses I’ve specified have had aggression issues, diamond gobys get massive and make your tank a sand storm, I’ve had 4 types of damsels and Rolands are the only ones that I’d say aren’t crazy or aggressive, talbots are less aggressive than any of the blue damsels but still pretty cray.

Ahh ok, sorry I’m a fish only guy so the angel nipping thing makes sense now lol. You’ve had some nasty clowns it seems. Your other choices were easy to see why, I thought, and would agree.
Especially agreed on damsels. Screw them!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok, sorry I’m a fish only guy so the angel nipping thing makes sense now lol. You’ve had some nasty clowns it seems. Your other choices were easy to see why, I thought, and would agree.
Especially agreed on damsels. Screw them!
Oh nice! You can have all the angels ! :DHaha

Fotocha

I have nightmares of jumping fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with a Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse instead. They stay smaller, are dirty cheap by fairy wrasse standards and generally don't bother much unless you put them in a super cramped tank (ie under 3 feet long).

Gorgeous Fish:

Does it have the familiar "Death March Fairy Wrasse" swim pattern?

Fiesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline wrasse. Bought him on the larger size and regretted the purchase as soom as he was in the tank. Couldnt get him out due to live rock Eventually leaped out to his own death after killing a few other things in tank. Happiest day of seeing a fish on the floor ever. Every other fish in tank was beat up and glad to see him go for sure!

Mhart032

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would be, damsel of any kind, and engineer goby, and FOR sure never a pink spot and pistol shrimp, talk about making rock fall over. Had to re aquascape twice due to them (didn't learn the first time) lol.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Reef Chromis. They kill each other off till there's only one left and then the one's thats left turns into the biggest bully. I had to drain my tank to catch him.
Purple Dottyback. Meanest fish I ever had.
Firefish- Bullied by everyone.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who wants a well behaved Angelfish get a Bellus. Can be a bully though. Never seen it touch a coral.

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a sufficient predator to eat their fry. Even then, the fry will end up in the refugium and grow out there. I don't like culling fish but I have culled probably over 120 livebearers over the past few years
What livebearing marine fish are there?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back